• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The hole you insist on digging and then standing in just gets deeper and deeper.

As for AF15, does anyone besides me ever wonder how strong spiders really are?  I mean, besides climbing up and around their webs, what other Herculean activities do they perform?  And so, is it really 'super' to have the proportionate strength of one of these creatures?

-Here's an interesting take on a spider's strength compared to a human. Look at the #1 rated answer. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070720210557AAb1MCn

-I think jumping spiders can jump 50x their own body length.

Edited by bringsenseback

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

I don't recall ever seeing Peter carrying five cases of them.  :grin:

I feel bad about it now @namisgr, but I once hit a spider with a rolled up news paper and he went 'ouch' and scuttled off. I'm not sure I would be able to do the same, if hit by a proportionately upscaled copy of The Daily Bugle?

I've just been reading this thread, or the last few pages anyway. One of my problems is I lose concentration quickly and end up cat-scanning posts. So I tend to miss crucial points. That said, my take on this occasion is that @Jaydogrules (a most modest moniker, don't you think?) seems to want to belittle and discredit experienced comic people's opinions for fun, in a particularly humourless, sour and unappealing way because a particular book sold for a particular price on a particular day, and this in turn means that white pages can have no merit.

Maybe I've got that wrong though.

But ask yourself this. Right or wrong, who would you rather have a drink down the pub with - @G.A.tor, @namisgr, Vintage Roy or our Jaydog?

End of message.

7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I feel bad about it now @namisgr, but I once hit a spider with a rolled up news paper and he went 'ouch' and scuttled off. I'm not sure I would be able to do the same, if hit by a proportionately upscaled copy of The Daily Bugle?

I've just been reading this thread, or the last few pages anyway. One of my problems is I lose concentration quickly and end up cat-scanning posts. So I tend to miss crucial points. That said, my take on this occasion is that @Jaydogrules (a most modest moniker, don't you think?) seems to want to belittle and discredit experienced comic people's opinions for fun, in a particularly humourless, sour and unappealing way because a particular book sold for a particular price on a particular day, and this in turn means that white pages can have no merit.

But ask yourself this. Right or wrong, who would you rather have a drink down the pub with - @G.A.tor, @namisgr, Vintage Roy or our Jaydog?

End of message.

Who's paying for my scotch?

Just now, Iceman399 said:
7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

End of message.

Who's paying for my scotch?

Roy. He's loaded from what I can see.

I'd like to take a moment to look at how Jaydog unnecessarily resorts to personal attacks ("You" statements) and name calling when people disagree with him. Let us count the ways. This is just one post mind you:

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

1. Let's leave the high school debate cliches for the high school debaters.   

2. The fact that you are pretending otherwise is very disingenuous of you.

3. Maybe you should make up your mind what side of the issue you're actually on before you post. 

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

4. You make too many assumptions.

5. You don't know that.

6. That's just more blind speculation on your part.

7. Your absolute statements on what books will sell for... look particularly impotent

Word to the wise- pick your spots better.

How the mods allow this personally combative lashing out on a regular basis is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Foley said:

I'd like to take a moment to look at how Jaydog unnecessarily resorts to personal attacks ("You" statements) and name calling when people disagree with him. Let us count the ways. This is just one post mind you:

How the mods allow this personally combative lashing out on a regular basis is beyond me.

Nicely summarised @Foley

@Jaydogrules - why don't you surprise us all and, just for once, give an inch and admit to some failings in your posting style? Go on. Be a better man. You can do it.

21 minutes ago, Foley said:

:gossip: Maybe because that's "not" what happened, not even with your completely out-of-context sleight of hand.  

Speaking of agendas.... What's yours again?  Or does me merely addressing you (or someone else) directly (instead of indirectly, as though you're not here, nice chat board etiquette by the way there, mate) always constitute a "personal attack" in your book ?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip: Maybe because that's "not" what happened, not even with your completely out-of-context sleight of hand.  

Speaking of agendas.... What's your again?  Or does me addressing you directly (instead of indirectly, as though you're not here, nice chat board etiquette by the way there, mate) always constitute a "personal attack" in your book ?

-J.

You didn't read my post Jaydog! :mad:

11 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

@Jaydogrules - why don't you surprise us all and, just for once, give an inch and admit to some failings in your posting style? Go on. Be a better man. You can do it

Just now, Foley said:

Getting back on topic...

@Marwood & I, If I recall correctly, you were once going for a full Spidey appearance run, right? Did you ever have a pence variant of AF 15?

Alas, I did not. I had a chance to get one for a measly (in context) £500 many moons ago at the London Comic Fair but I thought I'd wait. Yes, I know....

2 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Alas, I did not. I had a chance to get one for a measly (in context) £500 many moons ago at the London Comic Fair but I thought I'd wait. Yes, I know....

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
4 minutes ago, Foley said:

Getting back on topic...

@Marwood & I, If I recall correctly, you were once going for a full Spidey appearance run, right? Did you ever have a pence variant of AF 15?

Shame though. I'd have had a full set of Spidey Pence Price Variants if I'd got it.

Just now, Marwood & I said:

Shame though. I'd have had a full set of Spidey Pence Price Variants if I'd got it.

There's always tomorrow, and the lottery. What does the Pence Price Variant go for relative to the U.S. edition?

1 minute ago, Foley said:

There's always tomorrow, and the lottery. What does the Pence Price Variant go for relative to the U.S. edition?

More, because it's rarer and was printed first.

:whatthe:

On 3/29/2017 at 2:56 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Like I said above you guys can buy them all I don't want a single one in my collection. CBCS does not equal CGC and most collectors know that and saying that they do is not right because new collectors will start to believe that when it's not the case.

#1 CGC

#2 CBCS

#3 PGX

And why did you even bother to have CGC grade it if you are convinced CBCS is just as good.....because deep down you know it's not and when you comes time to sell it you know CGC will bring you top dollar.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I've had CBCS books. I prefer CGC, so I cracked them and resubmitted them to CGC.... and every single one of them came back with a higher grade. Six total CBCS books... six total grade increases. 

9 minutes ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I've had CBCS books. I prefer CGC, so I cracked them and resubmitted them to CGC.... and every single one of them came back with a higher grade. Six total CBCS books... six total grade increases. 

May I ask the genre of book and the grade range ?  Perhaps CBCS is tighter in GA or the low midgrade range or some kind of discernible pattern.  Perhaps they view tape, writing, printing defects, etc differently than CGC. I suspect there is good info from your post we can extract.

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

May I ask the genre of book and the grade range ?  Perhaps CBCS is tighter in GA or the low midgrade range or some kind of discernible pattern.  Perhaps they view tape, writing, printing defects, etc differently than CGC. I suspect there is good info from your post we can extract.

A peek at the Heritage Archives for sales of AF 15 over the last 9 months might be a great way to inform this observation. Wow!  :shy:

52 minutes ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I wish you would have documented this because you would be one of the first people saying that.  I have seen them close but i would say its the exact opposite of that.  even look at some of the given same grades a moderate grader can see the difference.  I'm calling a foul on that statement.  Unless like mentioned below, some kind of defect that one is hitting the book for and the other is not.

32 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Swamp Thing #1 - 8.0 to 8.5

Tales of Suspense #52 - 5.0 to 5.5

Tales of Suspense #57 - 5.0 to 5.5

Daredevil #158 - 9.0 to 9.6 (This one was pressed, so bit of a skew here)

Amazing Spider-Man #238 - 9.2 to 9.6

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 - 7.0 to 7.5

These aren't exactly mind-blowing differences in grades, but they signal to me that the grades are very close in general and likely within the margin of error. I don't know what happened with ASM 238, but I'm not complaining.

I also have an Avengers 4, ASM 6 and 15 that are former CBCS books being pressed and resubmitted. No idea how those will turn out.