• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Jaydog, are you simply dismissing all the dealers and collectors on these Boards telling you that PQ matters ? Do we not exist in your world ? Also, look at the WTB thread and more often than not the request specifies a minimum PQ, often White. I don't see anybody jumping on your bandwagon and backing you with your claims. What is your agenda, why do you care that many of us like a solid PQ, why do you ruin so many threads ???? I also hope you realize that your constant use of the HaHa emoticon is very irritating. You are not showing your fellow Board members respect by laughing at them. 

Hi bomberbob, I don't care what other people like or collect.  I just don't feel the need to belittle or demean other people's books, not even in the subtlest of matters, or cause them to feel their books are "inferior", and since "all things" are almost never equal with anything, I simply take exception with those few who like to state things in absolutes, when nothing, is in fact, absolute.  And what some people may or may not ask for in a WTB thread is of little relevance here.  If someone is willing to advertise that they're willing to pay more for a book with this or that trait, then more power to them.  

And I don't see a single place in any of my recent posts where I used an "lol" emoji.  Perhaps you are confusing me with drbanner and his "rofl" emoji, which I noticed you didn't actually take exception with.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Jaydog, are you simply dismissing all the dealers and collectors on these Boards telling you that PQ matters ? Do we not exist in your world ? Also, look at the WTB thread and more often than not the request specifies a minimum PQ, often White. I don't see anybody jumping on your bandwagon and backing you with your claims. What is your agenda, why do you care that many of us like a solid PQ, why do you ruin so many threads ???? I also hope you realize that your constant use of the HaHa emoticon is very irritating. You are not showing your fellow Board members respect by laughing at them. 

+ 1

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

a true test  for someone (and I'm making assumptions you've haven't , so correct me if I'm wrong ) is to actually offer comparable copies with different pq at same time, at same venue, at differing pricing... this I and many dealers have done , generally at conventions , and 100% of the time the higher pq , at higher price has sold first. 

It is unassailable logic that the better preserved book is more desired than the less preserved one.

Even if it doesn't sell for more, it will sell sooner (all other things being equal including price) but yes, in my experience too, White pages have a stronger draw both price wise and demand wise.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes I agree that it is sad that dissenting opinions that are nonetheless backed up and supported by numerous recent publicly available data points are grounds for shutting a whole thread down.   lol

-J.

Just to demonstrate Jaydog can be wrong, he claimed not to use the HaHa emoticon. I do believe this is a HaHa emoticon .

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

What a pompous parade of pablum.

Yup.

I can't believe he got Rick to drop discussing with him. I'm one thing. Rick? That's another whole ball of wax. :$

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It is unassailable logic that the better preserved book is more desired than the less preserved one.

Even if it doesn't sell for more, it will sell sooner (all other things being equal including price) but yes, in my experience too, White pages have a stronger draw both price wise and demand wise.

Uh oh, you just woke jaydog up with those nasty 2 words (white pages).

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Yup.

I can't believe he got Rick to drop discussing with him. I'm one thing. Rick? That's another whole ball of wax. :$

Rick like many others have tried this same convo with him over and over again and the point is missed.

17 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Rick like many others have tried this same convo with him over and over again and the point is missed.

Yes I just must be stupid for reviewing readily available public sales data and coming to my own conclusions.  :eyeroll:

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hi bomberbob, I don't care what other people like or collect.  I just don't feel the need to belittle or demean other people's books, not even in the subtlest of matters, or cause them to feel their books are "inferior", and since "all things" are almost never equal with anything, I simply take exception with those few who like to state things in absolutes, when nothing, is in fact, absolute.  And what some people may or may not ask for in a WTB thread is of little relevance here.  If someone is willing to advertise that they're willing to pay more for a book with this or that trait, then more power to them.  

And I don't see a single place in any of my recent posts where I used an "lol" emoji.  Perhaps you are confusing me with drbanner and his "rofl" emoji, which I noticed you didn't actually take exception with.  

-J.

Who said nothing is absolute? And by what authority? Is this a gut feeling, cliche, or something you've researched extensively? If the latter, give us your bibliography down through the ages. And are you saying, absolutely, that nothing is absolute? (Need that emoji where a stick figure is doing something carnal with the word logic.)

5 minutes ago, cloudofwit said:

Who said nothing is absolute? And by what authority? Is this a gut feeling, cliche, or something you've researched extensively? If the latter, give us your bibliography down through the ages. And are you saying, absolutely, that nothing is absolute? (Need that emoji where a stick figure is doing something carnal with the word logic.)

:gossip:Publicly available sales data says it, including a litany of sales of this book that literally just happened.   

-J.

24 minutes ago, nmtg9 said:

Jaydog is here.

This thread is over.:facepalm:

Someone needs to create a contrarian trap thread as a diversion...  Just make an obtusely obvious statement based on 1000 years of collective experience and wait for the refute...  Hopefully it will lure thread killers away.

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, cloudofwit said:

:gossip:Publicly available sales data says it, including a litany of sales of this book that literally just happened.   

You are taking an example of a book that looked MUCH nicer than the assigned grade and using it as a data point for your crusade.

That is (again) you moving the goal posts and it shows how 'extensive' your research is.

All other things being equal, the White paged book will most of the time be chosen 1st and will most of the time fetch more money than a book with inferior PQ. It's not even a question.

But more to this point, all things are NOT equal in this example.

1) it's an outlier sale

2) it's likely an outlier sale BECAUSE THE BOOK LOOKED EXCEPTIONAL FOR THE GRADE - anybody who had a smidgen of experience and is intellectually honest would know that eye appeal (or grade potential) will trump  PQ EVERY TIME. Example if a COW book will press up to the next grade point it will generally sell for much more than if the book had White pages but did not look good for the grade.

3) the sale may have been influenced not only by eye appeal but also by the recording setting 9.0 that preceded it (which also looked to be improvable).

So your example is completely ineffective and it actually invalidates your 'extensive research'.

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You are taking an example of a book that looked MUCH nicer than the assigned grade and using it as a data point for your crusade.

That is (again) you moving the goal posts and it shows how 'extensive' your research is.

All other things being equal, the White paged book will most of the time be chosen 1st and will most of the time fetch more money than a book with inferior PQ. It's not even a question.

1) it's an outlier sale

2) it's likely an outlier sale BECAUSE THE BOOK LOOKED EXCEPTIONAL FOR THE GRADE - anybody who had a smidgen of experience and is intellectually honest would know that eye appeal (or grade potential) will trump  PQ EVERY TIME. Example if a COW book will press up to the next grade point it will generally sell for much more than if the book had White pages but did not look good for the grade.

3) the sale may have been influenced not only by eye appeal but also by the recording setting 9.0 that preceded it (which also looked to be improvable).

So your example is completely ineffective and it actually invalidates your 'extensive research'.

Nothing else matters to JayDog.  To quote the Terminator movie "Listen, and understand. That [JayDog] is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you [accept his viewpoint on PQ]."  Had to change a few lines :p

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

1) it's an outlier sale

I've never "moved the goal posts" on anything I've literally made the same point for years now.  Let's leave the high school debate cliches for the high school debaters.   

These are just the most recent sales examples the debunk your points, not the only ones.  The fact that you are pretending otherwise is very disingenuous of you.  

It's evidently only an "outlier" when the result isn't what "you" think it should be, yet you tacitly acknowledge at least three other factors that will trump the alleged "PQ" on the label for most buyers.  Maybe you should make up your mind what side of the issue you're actually on before you post. 

You make too many assumptions.  "The books will press up".  You don't know that. That's just more blind speculation on your part.   Other people have called you out on this, yet you continue to do it.  (And the notion of someone paying nearly  $60k for a 5.0 that was recently graded based on the possibility of it "pressing up", to what, a 6.5? is frankly, absurd, even at today's prices.) 

Your absolute statements on what books will sell for what look particularly impotent when you make them after you've been shown to be wrong again.  Word to the wise- pick your spots better. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

The hole you insist on digging and then standing in just gets deeper and deeper.  I suppose it's inevitable that a new generation of hobbyists arriving in the post-CGC era and used to looking at books through plastic cases, rather than reading them and evaluating the quality of their interiors would de-emphasize the importance of the quality of preservation of the interior paper and the stories printed on it at the expense of the covers, but categorically dismissing the large proportion of collectors of comic books and not just comic book covers and their preference for well preserved paper is nevertheless myopic.  That this preference is stated often on the Boards by many, many collectors, and confirmed by experienced and respected dealers makes its denial seem that much more misinformed.

As for Spidey's origin, does anyone besides me ever wonder how strong spiders really are?  I mean, besides climbing up and around their webs, what other Herculean activities do they perform?  And so, is it really 'super' to have the proportionate strength of one of these creatures?

Edited by namisgr

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The hole you insist on digging and then standing in just gets deeper and deeper.  I suppose it's inevitable that a new generation of hobbyists arriving in the post-CGC era and used to looking at books through plastic cases, rather than reading them would de-emphasize the importance of the quality of preservation of the interior paper and the stories printed on it at the expense of the covers, but categorically dismissing the large proportion of collectors of comic books and not just comic book covers and their preference for well preserved paper is nevertheless myopic.

As for Spidey's origin, does anyone besides me ever wonder how strong spiders really are?  I mean, besides climbing up and around their webs, what other Herculean activities do they perform?  And so, is it really 'super' to have the proportionate strength of one of these creatures?

I once saw a spider carrying an empty bourbon bottle.