• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

About right for an average mid grade 

58 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

The 5.0 doesn't look as crazy in comparison.  This one has some mc therefore it's 30 percent less than the nice 5.0.  But yeah i doubt we'll see another $57k sale of a 5.0 anytime soon

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

What I don't get on many of these lower PQ record sales is this...what is the end goal of the buys? I mean, when you pay 57k for a book that at most can be upgraded to a 5.5 but still is below average PQ....what are you hoping for? It's real and it happened and it's gonna have to have an effect on price so it cant just be boxed and tossed away as a fact. I just don't get it, I'm hoping to see other prices of similar material come up to gauge this new trend more thoroughly.

Maybe the buyer has millions of dollars to spend and money is irrelevant.  I was criticized here on the boards when i made a comment that ff 52 cgc 9.8 set a record high, a crazy price.  The conclusion from a few other boardies was maybe money was irrelevant in that purchase.

Edited by Spiderturtle

On 2017-03-31 at 10:27 AM, Marwood & I said:
On 2017-03-31 at 10:27 AM, Iceman399 said:

Who's paying for my scotch?

Roy. He's loaded from what I can see.

I haven't had a drink all day! :baiting:

On 2017-03-31 at 11:34 AM, Foley said:

I'd like to take a moment to look at how Jaydog unnecessarily resorts to personal attacks ("You" statements) and name calling when people disagree with him. Let us count the ways. This is just one post mind you:

How the mods allow this personally combative lashing out on a regular basis is beyond me.

What I don't understand is how RMA gets hit for being combative and posting too much but Jaydogrules doesn't.

Anyhow, I'm not going to go back and forth with him. I think most people see where I'm coming from and also agree with my points. I've done what I set out to do and that is provide a reasonable view of the facts.

On 2017-03-31 at 0:08 PM, Marwood & I said:

Alas, I did not. I had a chance to get one for a measly (in context) £500 many moons ago at the London Comic Fair but I thought I'd wait. Yes, I know....

I did the same thing with Whiz #1. Sold my restored copy to prepare for an unrestored copy when it hit the market....aaaaaand now I can't afford one. :$

On 2017-03-31 at 1:53 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 2017-03-31 at 1:33 PM, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I've had CBCS books. I prefer CGC, so I cracked them and resubmitted them to CGC.... and every single one of them came back with a higher grade. Six total CBCS books... six total grade increases. 

May I ask the genre of book and the grade range ?  Perhaps CBCS is tighter in GA or the low midgrade range or some kind of discernible pattern.  Perhaps they view tape, writing, printing defects, etc differently than CGC. I suspect there is good info from your post we can extract.

They both go back and forth. CBCS has loose and tight periods now just like CGC does.

On 2017-03-31 at 2:30 PM, paul747 said:

I wish you would have documented this because you would be one of the first people saying that.  I have seen them close but i would say its the exact opposite of that.  even look at some of the given same grades a moderate grader can see the difference.  I'm calling a foul on that statement.  Unless like mentioned below, some kind of defect that one is hitting the book for and the other is not.

CBCS did go super tight at one point. I noticed it myself.

On 2017-04-01 at 4:08 AM, lou_fine said:
On 2017-04-01 at 1:50 AM, comicquant said:
On 2017-04-01 at 1:29 AM, Spiderturtle said:

Wow, that really is!  

Am I missing something or has CGC's grading changed significantly from how they were grading books back in the summer and fall of 2016?  Sure looks like a ton of wear along the spine and the upper edge from what I am looking at.   ???

Methinks you need to learn how to grade. :baiting:

On 2017-04-01 at 0:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, these 2 books were graded only as G/VG copies back in the summer of 2016 and clearly looks superior with a lot less wear on the cover as compared to Dolgoff's 4.0 graded copy of AF 15, although they do also appear to have a tape issue:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=684452&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676931&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

Looks like both of these books ended up selling for more than double their current market value on a price per point basis.  Wonder if this was due in large part to the fact that both of them appear to present much better than their assigned grades from a strict visual eye appeal point of view.  hm

You keep beating the same drum about the same two books. You have no idea what those books look like outside of the holder, how much of the book is being held together with tape etc.

You can't grade a book from a cover scan, right? So why do you keep trying to?

On 2017-04-01 at 0:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, there's no tape on this copy and it was graded as a CGC 4.5 back in 2002, but sure appears much nicer than the CGC 4.0 copy from Dolgoff:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689896&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

I guess maybe that's why it sold for $20K+ more than what Dolgoff is asking for his 4.0 graded copy.  (shrug)

That 4.5 had many improvable defects (just guestimating from what I saw in the scans) and it sold (rightly so) for an outlier price. Someone obviously thinks that book was worth 5.5-6.0 money.

It also could have simply gone through a 'tight' period. It's certainly a VERY nice looking 4.5.

This is also proof that CGC DOES INDEED downgrade for pressable defects. Something that has been argued in the past.

Just now, Spiderturtle said:

The 5.0 doesn't look as crazy in comparison.  This one has some mc therefore it's 30 percent less than the nice 5.0.  But yeah i doubt we'll see another $57k sale of a 5.0 anytime soon

I would not say 30 percent more like between 10 and 30 percent depending on the extent of the MC. This one was more towards the 30 percent.

22 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

No, actually he has it right.  The alleged "PQ" on the label had absolutely nothing to do with what that book sold for.  It was all based on the "eye appeal".

And that's where I see things going in this slab-happy environment.  In fact, that's where I posit it already is now, more so than not.   

That is certainly a possible new trend growing, as old school collectors who read comics move out of the hobby and new collectors whose main experience is with slabbed books and not unslabbed books in decades past.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

What I don't get on many of these lower PQ record sales is this...what is the end goal of the buys? I mean, when you pay 57k for a book that at most can be upgraded to a 5.5 but still is below average PQ....what are you hoping for? It's real and it happened and it's gonna have to have an effect on price so it cant just be boxed and tossed away as a fact. I just don't get it, I'm hoping to see other prices of similar material come up to gauge this new trend more thoroughly.

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Sometimes at auction, a couple of bidders will lose their minds.  Other times at auction, money is being laundered.  Bottom line - not all comic buyers have the same level of wealth, sophistication, and collecting goals.

Yep.

You also could have someone trying to upgrade the book bidding against someone who just wants to own a copy.

Eye appeal (or state of preservation and page quality as was the case with peewee's FF #1 purchase which set a price record a few years ago for a mid grade copy) generally pushes the envelope.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

About right for an average mid grade 

Yup.

As I said earlier, there were other factors involved with the prices of those record setting AF #15's. They all had improvable defects, exceptional appeal or both.

Just now, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I would not say 30 percent more like between 10 and 30 percent depending on the extent of the MC. This one was more towards the 30 percent.

I just wanted to say I did not just pull the percentages out or nowhere.....I was speaking with G.A.tor in private that is where the 10% to 30% comes from.....but no we can't just simply say there is a 30% decrease in value if there is MC present and simply generalize since there are different stages of MC that are possible. For example G.A.tor said on my AF15 it would be a 10% decrease in value compared to a perfect looking CGC 6.5.

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Front.jpg

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Back.jpg

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

Just now, peewee22 said:

White pages are a hot topic in this thread. For example, if your 6.5 had white pages, I can guarantee you if would be worth MORE bread. Period.

For sure no doubt about it. To give you a example my X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 with white pages cost me much more than a CGC 9.2 that does not have white pages (and I don't mean white to off-white pages I mean just white pages). I paid about 20% more than for a what copies in CGC 9.2 sell for that don't have white pages.

Another clear example is the price that was paid for Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 with white pages versus the other CGC 9.0 that did not have white pages. The white page example for a lot more.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

Supergirl, do you have your life savings sunk into your AF #15 as you just don't seem comfortable with your purchase and I've lost count how many times you've asked for reassurance on it's value ?

How quickly would you sell if the AF #15 market starts to tank ?

Edited by r100comics

$41k is about right for the 6.0 sale.   I had a 6.0 with no right edge chipping but a little along the top edge (affected eye appeal) and ow/w pages.   

Had it listed for a long time at $45K, offered time payments and trade possibilities...finally sold it the day before these crazy connect sales but didn't get $45k.

BUT folks, this recent sparkle city sale, connect sales, and other data out there tells us that af15s are hot and rising in price, just as some of you push as your message!   It's just not doubling in value every year :)  

I saw a couple of people post the expectations for a $55-60k sale that auctioned copy and it missed by a landslide.   Perhaps you should have bought it - you could have nabbed it for maybe $42-44k?

13 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I was saying earlier about this, I view the chipping on that book to be very substantial. From what I've seen you have more than one tiny piece off of a cover your price seems to drop substantially, that was so much it looked almost like chipping on top of chipping. It looks like there were 13 total pieces out of that front cover (counting peaks) with pre-chipping conditions on the top center and right center with one huge run getting ready to fall on the right. I still don't get how a book with that much wear can get a 6.0...that book should be a 5.0. If you added up all the surface area missing from that book it would be about 1/2 of the size of the Comics Code box. Heck its almost like missing a marvel stamps worth of space out of a book. How can that book be in "fine" condition?

Also its weird too but when you think about it, its like we are grading intent.

A. Donny printer decides to not fix his blade and his actions cause at some point after the book was printed for a fingertip of space to come off a the vital piece of narrative of the book (the cover)....Get a vitally important/desired blue label (and really grade isnt really effected considering the severity of the damage).

B. Donny Collector decides to use HIS blade and his actions cause at some point after the book was printed for a fingertip worth of space to come off a not important hidden interior page which doesnt affect the story...gets a price crippling green label and again grade isnt really effected.

C. Heck, side note Donny Collector decides he likes the words "AMAZING FANTASY" and takes his same exacto he used to remove the Value Stamp to take off the logo of his favorite spidey book to pin on his corkboard above his Joe Pepitone cards. HUGE piece of NARRATIVE HURTING (lost the logo/title and metadata values) paper removed from cover....book is gets a blue label for some reason this time?  Cut the value stamp out to pin to your board, you get green....cut the top half of the cover off to pin to your board, you get a blue label....wha....?!?!?! Yeah grade is hammered but beyond that why is one decision to cut something out turn into a green label and one decision to cut something out a blue label? Why allow any variation in policy if exact same issue (collector decided to exacto out a piece of the book)?

0222729001f.jpg