• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Yup,  AF #15 is criminally undervalued when I own them and criminally overvalued when I don't.  

I don't own a copy of ASM 1 and believe me this book will now see a sizeable increase in all grades since it is the 2nd most important Spidey book. We can't own every book unless you are very rich witch most of us are not.

6 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Go Ottawa Go! Go Sens Go!

Are you a Sens fan? They are doing well but I prefer Edmonton and Montreal. But I will follow the Sens since I take for any Canadian team down the stretch and Pittsburgh has been my favorite U.S team since 1989.

Edited by SC22

Just now, Iceman399 said:

Not in the slightest.  I'm sure everyone else will understand.

Oh I get it always the garbage jokes of pump it up....geez some of you guys just can't enjoy things!!

6 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Does not make sens how? Spidey is the king of a super important age in comic book history....it makes total sens!!

That is not new, and has been the case for fifty years.  What doesn't make "sens"  is the doubling of the book in a couple of months.  

Jim

Just now, Guardian Comics said:

That is not new, and has been the case for fifty years.  What doesn't make "sens"  is the doubling of the book in a couple of months.  

Jim

It is what it is either you are happy or your not!!

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:
26 minutes ago, SC22 said:
38 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

6.5 @ 61k

4.0 @ 30.5k

I will be the 1st to admit I thought the CGC 6.5 was going to go for between 70k and 75k....I was wrong!!

A 6.5 sold for like 36k just a few months ago, with decent PQ as well. It was a solid book if i remember correctly. Thats coming close to a 100% price increase in same grade against the last recorded GPA sale back a few months ago. Thats stupid enough. These prices dont make sense.

Now, now.....let's just calm down a bit here.  lol

Since the last CC auction back in March resulted in a CGC 5.0 copy selling for $57K and a CGC 4.5 copy selling for over $37K, are we not actually seeing a significant drop in prices for AF 15's or at best, a plateauing of prices here.  :tonofbricks:    :baiting:

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since the last CC auction back in March resulted in a CGC 5.0 copy selling for $57K and a CGC 4.5 copy selling for over $37K, are we not actually seeing a significant drop in prices for AF 15's or at best, a plateauing of prices here.  :tonofbricks:    :baiting:

When a new value is been set for a certain book prices will not always be the same until they stabilize at a new comfort point the market agrees on.....that is why we are having all these discussions lately because no one knows for sure what that new stabilization point will be.

Edited by SC22

3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

When will the prices stabilize and plateu!?!?  Is the world upside down right now?

I just said no one seems to know. Make take a few more months. Some will over pay during this process and some will not as it is mostly the case when a new value is been determined. And especially when it is going this fast.

Edited by SC22

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

only the Shadow knows...

lollll hahaha!! Only a ninja can kill a ninja or in this comic book world every single superhero could kill a ninja!!

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

A 6.5 sold for like 36k just a few months ago, with decent PQ as well. It was a solid book if i remember correctly. Thats coming close to a 100% price increase in same grade against the last recorded GPA sale back a few months ago. Thats stupid enough. These prices dont make sense.

Forget about that 6.5 that sold for $36k.  It sold for that because it was chipped to death and had glue on the cover. As with many of the books that have been selling strong recently the "PQ" on the label was obviously the least of anyone's concerns.  Why that book wasn't in a purple (restored) holder is still a mystery to me.  But the market clearly rejected it as either being over graded or hammered it as a quasi-restored book that was improperly put in a blue holder.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:
2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Forget about that 6.5 that sold for $36k.  It sold for that because it was chipped to death and had glue on the cover. As with many of the books that have been selling strong recently the "PQ" on the label was obviously the least of anyone's concerns.  Why that book wasn't in a purple (restored) holder is still a mystery to me.  But the market clearly rejected it as either being over graded or hammered it as a quasi-restored book that was improperly put in a blue holder.  

-J.

Well, it's good to see that collectors are maturing a bit and learning to buy the book, as opposed to blindly buying the label which seem to be so much more prevalent not that long ago.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:
10 hours ago, zhamlau said:
10 hours ago, SC22 said:
10 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

6.5 @ 61k

4.0 @ 30.5k

I will be the 1st to admit I thought the CGC 6.5 was going to go for between 70k and 75k....I was wrong!!

Since the last CC auction back in March resulted in a CGC 5.0 copy selling for $57K and a CGC 4.5 copy selling for over $37K, are we not actually seeing a significant drop in prices for AF 15's or at best, a plateauing of prices here. 

If the same label/grade book can increase nearly 100% in 5 month, and not like 10 dollars to 20 but one of the most expensive books in the hobby....Houston we have a problem. Something is failing in the model. I got it, prices have gone up exponentially out of the blue across the board in just a few months. But that type of swing, I got problems with. And I'm not just sour-graping it because im left out, I just picked up a 5.5 OW/W before all this price explosion occurred. Even if on some level this benefits me, I still find it troubling. The smartest guys in the hobby who have decades of experience have said this wouldn't/shouldn't happen yet it does. Basic sense tells me a book as highly graded and easily available shouldn't da-n near double in price in 5 months (especially with how many raw copies out there coming into the market every week).

I'm just saying, this doesnt make much sense. I find it problematic.

5 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

If the same label/grade book can increase nearly 100% in 5 month, and not like 10 dollars to 20 but one of the most expensive books in the hobby....Houston we have a problem. Something is failing in the model. I got it, prices have gone up exponentially out of the blue across the board in just a few months. But that type of swing, I got problems with. And I'm not just sour-graping it because im left out, I just picked up a 5.5 OW/W before all this price explosion occurred. Even if on some level this benefits me, I still find it troubling. The smartest guys in the hobby who have decades of experience have said this wouldn't/shouldn't happen yet it does. Basic sense tells me a book as highly graded and easily available shouldn't da-n near double in price in 5 months (especially with how many raw copies out there coming into the market every week).

I'm just saying, this doesnt make much sense. I find it problematic.

Could a lot of this be being fueled by Spider-Man: Homecoming and Marvel Studio's involvement?  Buzz has been building since Civil War. The trailers have had (for the most part) positive reviews combined with the fact that Spidey will be part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe is also a factor. People with cash/speculators might be thinking, for at least a for the next several years, Spidey will be very prominent in pulp culture again and wanting to get "in" now?

We see 'junk' books get a big boost with movies, sometimes 50% (or more) at least in the short term, why not AF #15?

Just a guess but I am sure there are other factors.

Do you guys think the comic book "Amazing Fantasy #15" (1st appearance of the Amazing Spider-Man) is a good investment at current prices?  (shrug)

Edited by drbanner

5 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Could a lot of this be being fueled by Spider-Man: Homecoming and Marvel Studio's involvement?  Buzz has been building since Civil War. The trailers have had (for the most part) positive reviews combined with the fact that Spidey will be part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe is also a factor. People with cash/speculators might be thinking, for at least a for the next several years, Spidey will be very prominent in pulp culture again and wanting to get "in" now?

We see 'junk' books get a big boost with movies, sometimes 50% (or more) at least in the short term, why not AF #15?

Just a guess but I am sure there are other factors.

I think it suggests that even the smartest guys in the hobby can't always predict what's going to happen.

I don't believe that we will see a huge collapse in prices if for no other reason people will not want to take a huge loss on the book and thus sit on it for a while.

The more likely scenario is prices will remain flat a la Hulk 1 for a time.

Edited by piper