• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I did not know of that sale ...... OK, maybe I'm (almost)  convinced

that sale on the 5.0 was my book.  Very clean one single chip. Owned fifty some years by me. note the 6.0, 6.5  and 7.0 as well. 

On 10/21/2017 at 2:16 PM, drbanner said:
On 10/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Well aware of the CGC 5.0 sale for $57K back in March on the CC auction site, but can't seem to remember this 4.0 sale for $35K.

Was the 4.0 sale on CL since they are the other auction site that seems to be able to pull in record prices for the AF 15's?  ???

Could have been, this thread surely documents those sales ( and the others in early Spring) since they are the ones that precipitated the run up in prices this year.

There were 3 record sale prices in that March CC auction that sparked the new price craze. All copies were exceptional for the grade (1 upgraded for sure, the other two were likely attempted). None of the copies that did not look exceptional for the grade set records.

Then there were a few other mid grade sales that got posted to GPA that also helped spark the price hike. Like the 7.0 that went for $65K in Nov 2016, but for some reason wasn't posted on GPA until this year. It also looked exceptional for the grade.

The only person that I know of in this entire thread that agrees with jaydogrules is jaydogrules.

Everyone else seems to be on the same page.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

There were 3 record sale prices in that March CC auction that sparked the new price craze. All copies were exceptional for the grade (1 upgraded for sure, the other two were likely attempted). None of the copies that did not look exceptional for the grade set records.

Then there were a few other mid grade sales that got posted to GPA that also helped spark the price hike. Like the 7.0 that went for $65K in Nov 2016, but for some reason wasn't posted on GPA until this year. It also looked exceptional for the grade.

The only person that I know of in this entire thread that agrees with jaydogrules is jaydogrules.

:makepoint: who cares?

Edited by piper

11 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Let a sleeping dog lie. :preach:

On 10/26/2017 at 10:55 AM, delekkerste said:
On 10/26/2017 at 8:48 AM, Glassman10 said:

The Chinese middle class is a mere 350  Million people, or more than all residents of the United States.  If the Chinese can come to worship KFC, they're quite capable of getting into comics.  More Lamborghinis are sold in Shanghai than anywhere else in the world. The language is a primary barrier in that, it's not money.

Anyone can potentially appreciate KFC or a Lamborghini.  They are non-verbal and non-language based items.   You don't need to speak English or Italian to appreciate a Lamborghini.  You don't have to be American to like the taste of KFC.  Yes, anyone can appreciate the pictures in comics, or just the cover showing through a slab, but, even among North American buyers, the ones who drop the big $$$ are the ones who have read the stories, appreciated the artwork, gone through the experience of growing up with comics, searching for back issues, coveting the big books when they were younger, etc.  People from a different culture have none of that shared experience. 

I don't see people here clamoring to buy Chinese language-based books or other collectibles where proficiency in Mandarin is essential to understanding it - why would we expect foreigners to do differently with English language-based things?  Because the world revolves around superheroes?  Why would they gravitate to comics when there are literally millions of other things out there they could be interested in, including things they grew up with, things in their own language,  things that are more universally coveted (e.g., property, luxury goods, etc.)?  As if they don't have their own culture and haven't aspired to own other things their whole lives.  The Ameri-centric, comic-centric viewpoint expressed by some here is not only shockingly unrealistic, it's also quite parochial and provincial. 

Asian culture seems to always have a fascination with American culture and piggy back on it, but the backbone of the market has to be native to it's own homeland.

If they have a fascination with Elvis, it's only because Elvis is American and was an American legend first...and stayed legendary all these years.

But if Elvis culture fades and disappears there is less of a desire for outsiders to own it. It's just simple psychology.

Sure wealthy Asians can start purchasing comic books as trophies and paying record prices but that is just another bubble without any real fundamental base.

The fundamental base is the American market.

The Billionaire who bought the two Action Comics #1 copies? He had an emotional attachment to the books. He didn't buy them as trophies. He bought them as treasures.

Gene, when you saw GNR play, did Axl throw his mic into the audience at the end of the show?

Best. Mic drop. Ever.

18 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Asian culture seems to always have a fascination with American culture and piggy back on it, but the backbone of the market has to be native to it's own homeland.

If they have a fascination with Elvis, it's only because Elvis is American and was an American legend first...and stayed legendary all these years.

But if Elvis culture fades and disappears there is less of a desire for outsiders to own it. It's just simple psychology.

Sure wealthy Asians can start purchasing comic books as trophies and paying record prices but that is just another bubble without any real fundamental base.

The fundamental base is the American market.

The Billionaire who bought the two Action Comics #1 copies? He had an emotional attachment to the books. He didn't buy them as trophies. He bought them as treasures.

Gene, when you saw GNR play, did Axl throw his mic into the audience at the end of the show?

Best. Mic drop. Ever.

You don't think the Asian market can be a serious market just a bubble market? Say even 1 million people start collecting over there out of more than 2 billion that is not even 1%.

That is only 1 nation some other nation or nations might get involved over time as well.

Edited by SC22

1 minute ago, SC22 said:

You don't think the Asian market can be a serious market just a bubble market? Say even 1 million people start collecting over there out of more than 2 billion that is not even 1%.

I think that you have no idea what you are talking about.  lol

And it's basically you and one other person pumping/defending the market so hard I can feel the ground shaking miles away.

17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I think that you have no idea what you are talking about.  lol

And it's basically you and one other person pumping/defending the market so hard I can feel the ground shaking miles away.

Why do you even bother with this hobby as a dealer if you only see the market falling over time? I would not want a job with a company that I know will fail.

Where do you want this market to end up seriously? Promote selling then tell people hey it's going to fall....never seen that before must be a new marketing strategy.

It would be like buying a new car while the guy just says your going to lose so much on this but hey buy it and you will be happy and that is what matters with a huge fat grin on his face. Don't worry about the money my ''friend'' it's all about the fun!!

What kind of dealer are you do you just want to be the one making profits and as far as your clients go their payoff should only be happiness of owning comic books and never to make any kind of money out of it. 

Edited by SC22

57 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

But if Elvis culture fades and disappears there is less of a desire for outsiders to own it.

Never. Ever. Elvis will fade when our Sun does.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 11/1/2017 at 6:40 PM, Hudson said:
On 11/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Not at all.  But it certainly had the right "look" to go for a lot more than that.  

There is another 6.5 on heritage at the moment as well so that probably didn't help.  

But I also think the market is softening a bit as well because (insert whatever reason you like best here ;)).

-J.

Perhaps because there seems to be a boat load of them coming to market.

2c

On 11/1/2017 at 8:06 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

yeah there are really tons right now. heritage has around seven hundred in the current auction ending in two weeks. that can't help the market. 

Yes, even Hakes is in the game with a CGC 7.5 graded copy that has been in play for over a week now:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/216543/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AUGUST-1962-CGC-75-VF-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN

Looks like everybody's trying to move their AF 15's right now before the air starts to leak out from the big bubble.  hm

53 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, even Hakes is in the game with a CGC 7.5 graded copy that has been in play for over a week now:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/216543/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-AUGUST-1962-CGC-75-VF-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN

Looks like everybody's trying to move their AF 15's right now before the air starts to leak out from the big bubble.  hm

There is a new price point for AF15 how hard is that to accept. Yes there are many copies up for sale and most are doing just fine and a lot better than even 1-2 years ago. Some are selling for less than some record prices but that is to be expected when a market sets a new tone. Some people over pay some people under pay and some people pay exactly what it is that is how markets grow. How long are people going to call this a ''bubble'' it has been like this for a year or so. Bubble. bubble and more bubble talk....how  about 2-3 years from now....will some still wonder if it is a bubble. If it was any other SA key I would maybe agree but AF15 sells and even if the market is full right now they for the most are still selling (especially threw auctions that start and end with no reserve. All this trying to get out before the ceiling falls is non sens. Most are keeping their copies. Very few out of the 10 000 copies or so that exist are up for sale. I would venture to guess not even 1% of them are up for sale at any given time.

spiderman.jpg

Edited by SC22