• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

:facepalm: Wow, I'm familiar with this particular seller's pricing tactics but that brings it to another level.  

5 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Board member. Wow, he must have been bidding from the floor last night. Book in hand already. :eyeroll:

Edited by Gotham Kid

From my ongoing point of view, Auctions are risky places to sell books as opposed to established dealers who state their price, offer to negotiate but don't just let the frenzy ( or not) of an auction determine sale price.

I'm not surprised at the 5.0 at all. No where near the quality of the 57K book. It's a slight improvement on the 5.0 that went around last xmas for 29K. I think it's really not a good example of the book with all that chipping.More a 4.0 to me. It may be that CGC ignores chipping but I don't think buyers ignore it at all. As to the 6.5, it undersold clearly compared to what I suspect a well connected dealer would get.  Auction vs Dealer was and still is my issue if you want top dollar which I did get with Bob . 

11 hours ago, comicquant said:

There must be a stain on the back cover, interior damage or a hard-to-see sub crease for that to be a 5.0.  If the back is reflective of the front then its woefully under-graded.  I bet its a stain though as that seems to be the biggest hit CGC gives.

BC15.PNG.35b93a472801835e9f4295c7f925f5f4.PNG

It seems to me that the quality of the book itself, not the grade it got are going to drive the price unless the bidder is really inexperienced.  I also still think that while MC seems to pass muster with CGC, the people bidding aren't rising to that bait at this point with high bids , not when non chipped books are out there.  It does seem to be that seeing grading notes gets to be pretty important. Is there something prohibiting the seller from publishing those notes in the offering?

When I put my 5.0 up for sale with Bob, I had taken photographs of every page in the book and told Bob that I could provide the buyer with them. I still can. The buyer did not care apparently and that surprised me as well. I would have thought with that kind of money, you would want to know everything there was to know. 

50 minutes ago, Spyderfan said:

BC15.PNG.35b93a472801835e9f4295c7f925f5f4.PNG

that lower staple also shows a distinct tear coming from the staple to the red print just above the word "Postcard". At least I think that's what I see there.  It sort of suggests that at one time in the comic's life, it was stuck to a table or some other object. 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

From my ongoing point of view, Auctions are risky places to sell books as opposed to established dealers who state their price, offer to negotiate but don't just let the frenzy ( or not) of an auction determine sale price.

There's a reason the biggest books in the hobby are sold via auction, and not via fixed price by established dealers. The rarer the book, the better suited for an auction format to realize the absolute highest return for the seller. (thumbsu

Edited by drbanner

29 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

It seems to me that the quality of the book itself, not the grade it got are going to drive the price unless the bidder is really inexperienced.  I also still think that while MC seems to pass muster with CGC, the people bidding aren't rising to that bait at this point with high bids , not when non chipped books are out there.  It does seem to be that seeing grading notes gets to be pretty important. Is there something prohibiting the seller from publishing those notes in the offering?

When I put my 5.0 up for sale with Bob, I had taken photographs of every page in the book and told Bob that I could provide the buyer with them. I still can. The buyer did not care apparently and that surprised me as well. I would have thought with that kind of money, you would want to know everything there was to know. 

Whenever I am looking at a high end book I will spend the $10.00 to buy the grader's notes. It would be great if the seller has the notes to provide but not every seller has the notes and I'm sure some just don't want to spend the $10.00 as it's not important to them.

In last night's CL auction I bid on the AF 15 1.5 - very nice looking 1.5. I  ended up with the 3rd highest bid and wasn't prepared to go any higher after buying the grader's notes and getting a back scan of the book.

The notes don't always help but in this case they did give me a lot more information than I got just from the front scan.

Back Cover Multiple Tape
Bottom Back Cover Large Piece Out
Bottom Staple Cover Detached
Front Cover Multiple Tape
Left Center Whole Book Wear Breaks Color
Right Center Whole Book Wear Breaks Color
Staple Large Tear
Whole Book Heavy Crease
Whole Book Heavy Soiling
Whole Book Tear

af 15 bc.jpg

Edited by Jordysnordy

well, I can understand that from the point of a very high grade book. I'm seeing non high grade books being sold at auction as well and the evidence suggests that it's an easy way to get burned as the seller. Can be quite attractive for a buyer though, especially one that wants to flip the book. 32K for a 5.0 is not what I would call a great number. Neither is 62K for a 6.0-6.5 .

If the auction has a sellers premium, it just makes it that much worse. 

2 hours ago, drbanner said:

There's a reason the biggest books in the hobby are sold via auction, and not via fixed price by established dealers. The rarer the book, the better suited for an auction format to realize the absolute highest return for the seller. (thumbsu

It sounds like you'd be surprised at results dealers achieve. Many record breaking sales and per a lot of buyer requests not all are reported to GPA.

Edited by gregreece

9 minutes ago, gregreece said:

It sounds like you'd be surprised at results dealers achieve. Many record breaking sales and per a lot of buyer requests not all are reported to GPA.

I'm sure you do well, but I doubt Metropolis and Doug Schmell started selling books at auction to save us poor collectors $$. lol