• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, gregreece said:

It sounds like you'd be surprised at results dealers achieve. Many record breaking sales and per a lot of buyer requests not all are reported to GPA.

I agree with that. When Bob first came up and set the price on my AF15, I was floored but he insisted it was not going to be hard to get in his mind. He had another 5.0 that was a good deal higher than mine was. Compared to GPA it was way out of line but Bob said it was quite realistic. That did get me started on looking hard at the auctions, the premiums, blah blah blah and then at the material that was in Bob's most recent significant sales. The differences are striking. Now you might say that the numbers are exaggerated but I don't think so. I watch new arrivals, then recent departures. The percentage I pay him is well in line and I don't have risk. Again, the sale took 55 days.

Now it may well be that the auction houses certainly don't want that boat rocked nor would the people who utilize them as sales engines. I have to wonder how many of those auction items are actually consigned, not owned. It's no fault insurance if that is the case.  It seems like the risk on the auction house is minimal and regardless, it's like shooting fish in a tuna can. CGC has a sweet deal in that the more valuable your book is, it somehow costs more to grade it. There's a lot of barnacles on the hull of this particular boat. 

1 hour ago, drbanner said:

I'm sure you do well, but I doubt Metropolis and Doug Schmell started selling books at auction to save us poor collectors $$. lol

Doug's auction business is based on the same business model when he was a lawyer.  OPM (Other People's Money).  

Comiconnect is a way for Metropolis to compete against Comiclink and Heritage.  There is one thing that auction's provide that keeps luring in the buyer.  CASH advances.  Nothing keeps the wheels spinning to consignor's like having a line of credit and that is what the auction houses have become (This is the NEW HOUSE OF CARDS in this business which is keeping some of the big buyers Afloat).  The NEW ATM machines.  How do you keep them coming back,  wave money at them.  Other advantages are graded book auctions only,  no reserves,  no returns,  specified time limit for how long a book is in inventory versus a consignment site business model.  Disadvantages to the auction market are very high upfront costs, IT costs,  risks of being hacked and the pressure to get material.  Successful auction houses are the ones that "get the books".   

I've stated this before.

Registry sets are open books so that Auction houses can calculate the value of your collection and make "Cash advance" offers.  It is the "Way in".

Don't think for a second that CGC is doing a registry set out of the goodness of their hearts.  It is all part of the "Grading business model" just like these boards which frankly are an open advertisement to why books are graded, bought and sold.

Edited by blazingbob

Really good point.  Makes total sense. It would be interesting to know how great the percentages are of people wanting the ATM. I was fortunate in that I did not need the money at all and that in fact it was to become a gift to my son. 

28 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I agree with that. When Bob first came up and set the price on my AF15, I was floored but he insisted it was not going to be hard to get in his mind. He had another 5.0 that was a good deal higher than mine was. Compared to GPA it was way out of line but Bob said it was quite realistic. That did get me started on looking hard at the auctions, the premiums, blah blah blah and then at the material that was in Bob's most recent significant sales. The differences are striking. Now you might say that the numbers are exaggerated but I don't think so. I watch new arrivals, then recent departures. The percentage I pay him is well in line and I don't have risk. Again, the sale took 55 days.

Now it may well be that the auction houses certainly don't want that boat rocked nor would the people who utilize them as sales engines. I have to wonder how many of those auction items are actually consigned, not owned. It's no fault insurance if that is the case.  It seems like the risk on the auction house is minimal and regardless, it's like shooting fish in a tuna can. CGC has a sweet deal in that the more valuable your book is, it somehow costs more to grade it. There's a lot of barnacles on the hull of this particular boat. 

It's quite the bromance you have with Bob. I have bought books from Bob and he has even bought a book from me so we all know how easy he is to work with but you keep repeating the same stuff post after post after post. You are beginning to sound like one who will not be named by me who only pumps AF 15. :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It's quite the bromance you have with Bob. I have bought books from Bob and he has even bought a book from me so we all know how easy he is to work with but you keep repeating the same stuff post after post after post. You are beginning to sound like one who will not be named by me who only pumps AF 15. :foryou:

+1

I get nothing back from Bob to get me to praise his biz practices. Bob was the only one who called me and I've said that before too.  If I had only gotten 32K from an auction sale, less the premium charges, I'd be really frosted knowing how much had been left on the table.  Mine was however a better quality book for a 5.0.  Grading is really at least as much of an issue for me here than anything else.  Marvel Chipping should bring substantially lower grades.  If not it seems that the differences in grade get to be a lot like the differences between the two big grading companies. If MC sales stay lower than clean books of the same grade, it speaks volumes about how people really react to the chipping.  Beyond that, everyone around here repeats themselves constantly. I went to him because he got high marks.

IMG_5207_zpsqtvczgb9.jpg

I don't know guys. A lot of talk about which AF15 is worth what, this one should be so much because it has MC or it doesn't, or it can be upgraded or it can't

I think I have a pretty nice looking 5.0 with zero MC and solid page quality, but do I really think this is a 50K book all day and night?

I just don't see it. I do know that I would get WAY more than I paid for it, and that makes me nice and warm inside, but 50K + for this would still be an outlier price I think, just my opinion. (I'm not against anyone paying that much for it, but I think I'd have to get real lucky)

FISH

Edited by fishbone

5 minutes ago, fishbone said:

IMG_5207_zpsqtvczgb9.jpg

I don't know guys. A lot of talk about which AF15 is worth what, this one should be so much because it has MC or it doesn't, or it can be upgraded or it can't

I think I have a pretty nice looking 5.0 with zero MC and solid page quality, but do I really think this is a 50K book all day and night?

I just don't see it. I do know that I would get WAY more than I paid for it, and that makes me nice and warm inside, but 50K + for this would still be an outlier price I think, just my opinion. (I'm not against anyone paying that much for it, but I think I'd have to get real lucky)

FISH

Send it over non-believer

10 minutes ago, fishbone said:

IMG_5207_zpsqtvczgb9.jpg

FISH

Is there a pancreas or something stuck to the back cover, because that looks significantly better than a 5.0...

26 minutes ago, blazingbob said:
32 minutes ago, fishbone said:

IMG_5207_zpsqtvczgb9.jpg

FISH

Send it over non-believer

Recent notable sales on HGC:

Amazing Fantasy #15   CGC 5.0 VG/F $55,000 SOLD

21 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Is there a pancreas or something stuck to the back cover, because that looks significantly better than a 5.0...

THAT'S where that thing went !!

Actually, don't have a scan right now, but no it looks fine back there.

26 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Recent notable sales on HGC:

Amazing Fantasy #15   CGC 5.0 VG/F $55,000 SOLD

Wow, I wonder who's book that was!?!?  :shy: