• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Does this book look familiar to any of you? I'll explain my reasons later.

image.jpg1_zpsuvyqqung.jpg

saw something similar to this shopped around in a fake slab on Facebook
not similar, same book

not similar, same book
one I saw had a full holder and label

not similar, same book
yep...this is the book before it was put into a mocked up labeled holder (thumbs u

not similar, same book
yep...this is the book before it was put into a mocked up labeled holder (thumbs u

Yep...you are correct. What I'm trying to find out is what this particular book started out as and who may have owned it. Playing detective here....

Supposedly the store that purchased this from an individual has his name and information

Also correct. I'm the one that stated that in the Facebook group. I'm trying to determine the overall history of the book (was there an owner prior to this guy, was it a restored copy, had it previously been graded, etc.).

I live about 6-8 miles away from this shop and I don't believe for one minute that they were knowingly selling a fake copy of the book. I think they should have questioned it more than they did but that's just my take. The fonts on the CGC label just don't look right to me. And it's been proven that a different AF 15 with the same bar-code number was sold in a Heritage auction on 6/24/12.

Here's the Heritage copy:

image.jpg1_zpsbpvq4itm.jpg

And here's the copy that was sold to the shop:

image.jpg1_zpsympjhc6u.jpg

They both have the same barcode number. Notice the label font difference between the 2 books.

Edited by Shark

am I mistaken or is that the one from facebook?

Yes, it is the one from Facebook. My reason for posting it in this thread and on these boards is the hope that someone will recognize owning the book at one time or another. I'm doing this to try to prove that the book sold to an LCS recently was a restored copy.

Yes, it is the one from Facebook. My reason for posting it in this thread and on these boards is the hope that someone will recognize owning the book at one time or another. I'm doing this to try to prove that the book sold to an LCS recently was a restored copy.

restored and the person tried to pass it off as universal

That's my line of thinking anyway.

Have an update for you guys. Another local guy posted on the Facebook page that he saw the book in person at the shop. When he saw it he told them it was a fake but they apparently didn't believe him. He said the book had a reproduction cover on it. They (the shop) have already sent the book to CGC for reholdering. Something tells me that when they crack the book out and open the cover they're going to find a worthless book in there. And they supposedly paid $6,000 in cash for it. :facepalm:

Edited by Shark

Have an update for you guys. Another local guy posted on the Facebook page that he saw the book in person at the shop. When he saw it he told them it was a fake but they apparently didn't believe him. He said the book had a reproduction cover on it. They (the shop) have already sent the book to CGC for reholdering. Something tells me that when they crack the book out and open the cover they're going to find a worthless book in there. And they supposedly $6,000 in cash for it. :facepalm:

well they got ripped off really bad then

our local store is largely without cgc slabs for sale...it is just not the market my locals go for (we sell entertainment and encourage comic reading, so slab sales in store are rare).... so, I can see a store, if they are not well versed in cgc , getting duped.... that said, with even minimal research, this copy should have been "sniffed" out as not legit... then again, it obviously wasn't so "buyer beware"...

expensive lesson to learn, but my guess is the store will not get duped again...

Have an update for you guys. Another local guy posted on the Facebook page that he saw the book in person at the shop. When he saw it he told them it was a fake but they apparently didn't believe him. He said the book had a reproduction cover on it. They (the shop) have already sent the book to CGC for reholdering. Something tells me that when they crack the book out and open the cover they're going to find a worthless book in there. And they supposedly paid $6,000 in cash for it. :facepalm:

$6,000 for an AF 15 4.0????? What store offers 46% of guide for a red hot Silver age mega key. They either knew it was restored and were taking a shot at it coming back blue label or are of the highest order not thinking it suspicious that they took so much less than the value of the book