• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2022 at 1:07 AM, Iceman399 said:

There will be a few in here who will say the sale doesn't count cause it wasn't shill bid on heritage and a private sale. 

Got it.

It's somewhat like... Who's the HR champion in Baseball.... Hank Aaron or Barry Bonds.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

I was not aware of that sale if it is a true sale then that is the all-time record paid for a comic book.

I started this thread about a little while  ago tracking six-figure sales.   Been a very busy couple of months for big books 

Edited by DC#

On 6/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

I was not aware of that sale if it is a true sale then that is the all-time record paid for a comic book.

I do think there needs to be an asterisk next to it.  

"Private sales" are simply not subject to the same hobby-wide scrutiny as public sales.  

So indeed, AF 15 still holds the record for the most ever paid for a comic book publicly.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 6/26/2022 at 6:59 AM, Jaydogrules said:

"Private sales" are simply not subject to the same hobby-wide scrutiny as public sales.  

So, I imagine that you would also dismiss the BB28 sale for $750K?  hm  :whatthe:

On 6/26/2022 at 6:59 AM, Jaydogrules said:

So indeed, AF 15 still holds the record for the most ever paid for a comic book publicly.  

-J.

Could you expand on this a bit?  Do you believe GPA might be listing private sales where they're just taking the word of the seller (or buyer) for the price paid as opposed to verifying it through bank records or the like?

On 7/6/2022 at 9:05 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Could you expand on this a bit?  Do you believe GPA might be listing private sales where they're just taking the word of the seller (or buyer) for the price paid as opposed to verifying it through bank records or the like?

They're just taking the word of the dealer.  

The presumption (hope) is that the dealers are reporting real sales as GPA doesn't accept data from just any private dealer, they are vetted and approved by them, although I'm not sure what that criteria is or hpw vigorous the vetting is. 

Frankly though, it should be more than just a guy saying "yeah it happened, trust me" when it comes to an alleged sale as large as that Superman 1 sale.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 7/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jaydogrules said:

They're just taking the word of the dealer.  

The presumption (hope) is that the dealers are reporting real sales as GPA doesn't accept date from just any private dealer, they are vetted and approved by them, although I'm not sure what that criteria is or vigorous the vetting is. 

Frankly though, it should be more than just a guy saying "yeah it happened, trust me" when it comes to an alleged sale is large as that Superman 1 sale.  

-J.

Yeah, I agree.  GPA should be protective of its reputation and do what it takes to make sure their info is accurate. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I'd be inclined to agree with this but if there were real questions to the legitimacy would it have been widely reported? CGC ran an article on the front page of the website. The brokers of the sale were established dealers.