• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Not sure such a boom and bust has ever happened before. Not good for the hobby. Not just AF15 but, FF 1#  X-Men 1 ( a 1.0 in Oz went for A$10K - about US $7.2k back in the boom). Many of these books may (will)  take years to get back. The owner can sell and  burn money  or hang on in hope. In the meantime there is a huge chunk of collector money just sitting, not moving around. These guys can't upgrade, or move to what they hope is the next hot book, or guess the next big Marvel movie debut. Big chunk of what moves our books along will now just sit. Keep remembering the old dealer cliche .. "buy what you love, you may have it for a long time".

On 5/22/2023 at 8:37 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Not sure such a boom and bust has ever happened before. Not good for the hobby. Not just AF15 but, FF 1#  X-Men 1 ( a 1.0 in Oz went for A$10K - about US $7.2k back in the boom). Many of these books may (will)  take years to get back. The owner can sell and  burn money  or hang on in hope. In the meantime there is a huge chunk of collector money just sitting, not moving around. These guys can't upgrade, or move to what they hope is the next hot book, or guess the next big Marvel movie debut. Big chunk of what moves our books along will now just sit. Keep remembering the old dealer cliche .. "buy what you love, you may have it for a long time".

Short termers are sweating bullets. Long termers (like me) don't really care.

Checked your 401k lately? Now that's REAL money.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:08 PM, DC# said:

Here is an updated chart of sales for grades 2.5 to 5.5 going back to Jan 2022.   Will update again in a few weeks with the Comic Connect and Comic Link results.   This chart does include a 4.5 sale on Heritage tonight.   Things have definitely leveled out with biggest differences in sales within the same grade seemingly driven by the quality of the book.

ScreenShot2023-05-22at4_43_01PM.thumb.png.34c2377f1dee430201cb46d95327886f.png

Geez, if you told me a little over a year ago that prices on AF15 would nearly be cut in half over the next year I would have said you're :screwy:.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, peewee22 said:

Short termers are sweating bullets. Long termers (like me) don't really care.

Checked your 401k lately? Now that's REAL money.

Again that is long term. Since its peak it is down 27%, about same as SC4.(  Since 2018 it is up 700%. "AMD" ..Hmm That is like the return on Eternals 1# before it popped).

But the reality is that so much money is now locked in as people don't want to crystallise the loss. It will hurt everyone in the hobby to some degree eventually.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, drbanner said:

Geez, if you told me a little over a year ago that prices on AF15 would nearly be cut in half over the next year I would have said you're :screwy:.

Really?  Seemed very predictable to me.  Okay, maybe not 50%, but a steep cut was due for sure.  If grade is not an issue, the supply is for all intents and purposes infinite!

On 5/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, Math Teacher said:

My CGC 2.5 copy is doing exactly the same thing. Sometimes it bothers me that I can't take the book off the shelf and look at it. But then I realize that is more important that it is safe and sound in a safe deposit box, and, before long, the moment passes.

On 5/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, NoMan said:

I dunno. It sits encased in plastic in a safe deposit box. Sometimes I even forget it's there. There isn't really that much "fun" in that I sometimes think to myself. Existential crisis over here. Could pay off my house and never work again (mostly, you know). That sounds like more fun today...

I think of my collection as more than just comics....I view it as collecting some of the greatest Pop Art of the 20th Century.    The joy of ownership for me is seeing it.    I'll share a photo of my "collage" some day.  

On 5/23/2023 at 12:24 PM, DC# said:

I think of my collection as more than just comics....I view it as collecting some of the greatest Pop Art of the 20th Century.    The joy of ownership for me is seeing it.    I'll share a photo of my "collage" some day.  

:peace:

As long as you did not buy everything you ever wanted for your collection during COVID, everyone over all is probably doing just fine.

Anyone who bought any major Marvel SA keys before 3/2020 are probably well into the green.

Now should you have sold them during COVID and re-bought them later is the real question. hm

What I am usually finding is more Keys are still up from their pre-COVID levels a decent amount still.

X-Men #1 had a major pullback, but from what I seeing they are still trading higher than before COVID. I

If you bought most Marvel SA Keys before 3/2020, you are still doing quite well currently from what I am seeing. 

IMO this is a great time to buy keys before they next hype trains starts......X-Men/FF movies are coming.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:46 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

The market will pick up at some point if you are young enough hold on time will be on your side. AF15 is still the king of the entire SA and a great book to own. This low cycle will end and you will be happy you kept your books. I am old so I do not have time on my side like you younger collectors.

I think you mentioned no heirs to pass it on. You probably did the prudent thing in selling it. Congrats!

On 5/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, DT0428 said:

Congrats on the sale

He was on here with price updates for last few years - kinda surprised he missed out on the peak he could have cashed in on a couple years ago, if he was looking to sell

But, congrats anyway and good luck enjoying the $$$ in the Golden years 

On 5/25/2023 at 2:03 PM, Dark Knight said:

Bottom line is, no one knows where the peak will be and when the crash will be. If the value is there to sell your book at a very nice profit, take it! Don't be greedy or else you will miss out!

Is keeping the book an option? 🤔

On 5/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, Dark Knight said:

Of course! Still have mine! I thought about selling during the peak but I liked the book so much that I decided to keep knowing full well a crash is in the horizon. 

My kinda guy.:headpat:

On 5/25/2023 at 11:28 PM, Primetime said:

I’ve owned several copies over the years, but here is my copy since 2012.

IMG_2952.jpeg

can't see the top half well but wow is that a gorgeous copy, and looks far better condition than the assigned grade. well done sir!