• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

X-Force 116?

First new team and first doom.

For some reason people like "doop" I wish I would have bought this on the boards for $55

All the ones i've seen in 9.8 go for over $80 and no LCS have one in good condition

It's still a book you can find for cheap because its X-Force and most shops think X-Force is junk but hard to find in higher grade

Don't know why but I like doop as well! One of the few modern books besides TWD that I kept a sold 9.8 raw and 9.8 slab of. I see the popularity increase with his solo title come april.

X-Force 116?

First new team and first doom.

For some reason people like "doop" I wish I would have bought this on the boards for $55

All the ones i've seen in 9.8 go for over $80 and no LCS have one in good condition

It's still a book you can find for cheap because its X-Force and most shops think X-Force is junk but hard to find in higher grade

Keep your eyes open for sure. I just found one in the $1 bin yesterday!

No, according to all of the top guides out there. Here's an example.

IH180 - Wolverine's first appearance

IH 181 - his "first full appearance"

I have yet to see a true first appearance (i.e., where it is also a "first full appearance," say UXM 266 for example) that is marked as "first full appearance." All the UXM266 slabs only say "1st Appearance of Gambit" and not "1st full appearance of Gambit."

;)

-slym

If only it were . . . ;)

Isn't Gambits 1st Appearance in an X-Men Annual?

Yep, X-Men Annual #14 is the first appearance (but due to retro continuity, it's discounted).

Divad is exactly right. UXM 266 came out after UXM annual 14 by a few weeks. I remember buying Annual 14 , reading it and was like " wth is going on and who is the Gambit dude" and then a week or two later OHH I get it now when 266 came out. 266 was supposed to come out before annual 14. It was a release issue by marvel.

To me it doesnt matter, in my book Annual 14 is the first appearance of gambit, period and end of story. Release date/week always takes presidence on close first appearances. Reguardless of what marvel wanted/intended to do and reguardless of continuity , what happened is what matters. To tell me I was introduced to Gambit in UXM 266 is a lie. I was introduced to Gambit in Ann 14 , I bought them both off the stands.

I cannot think of a single other first appearance that is discounted by the collecting commuity because of "continuity". It's absurd. That would change thousands of first appearances. And even if someone can give another example, thats absurd too and not normal. Release date is the winnner. If Gambit was on the cover of the annual, and 266 wasnt such a " BOOM! HERE IS A NEW CHARACTER" cover I think things would be different. The market decided long ago that 266 is the winner but In my heart I know Annual 14 is the real deal.

What really irks me is that CGC lists annual 14 as a Cameo. Gambit is in over 14 panels across 7 pages with page 15 devoted almost soley to telling us who he is. He even bumps into cable. How is the a cameo? He is in the annual more than most characters.

Pardon my rant, these books always start a fire with me. Moving along....

Here's an example (I think): ASM 252 vs Team Up 141 vs Secret Wars 8. Collectors disagree as to which is the first black costumed Spidey. 252 wins most times, but I think 141 shipped first.

It did!

Actually, it didn't. :foryou: We've discussed this many time over:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7348233#Post7348233

Yeah, 141 was shipped second.

If you really want to compare the black costume thing to the absurd gambit Continuity/release date problem it would be like this:

The story in secret wars 8 .. the entire secret wars mini series actually, happened " Continuity/timeline wise" in between ASM 251 and 252.

Its a confusing mess. But " TECHNICALLY, by continuity and timeline" secret wars 8 is the first appearance. If marvel could have made all their money at once, the entire series WOULD have came out inbetween ALL of the marvel issues released between April 1984 ( ASM 251 ) and May 1984 ( ASM 252)

But thats not how selling comics work, they wanted a " summer blockbuster mini series " So they made all the heroes disapear in April.... said oh they went somewhere, and the story is in this awesome new Mini series called Secret Wars, but your heroes will be back next month in their regular books. Dont be confused with all the new changes, just go buy secret wars.

Using the logic people are applying to UXM annual 14

Secret wars 8 is the first appearence of the Black costume.

Nobody agrees with that.

You cannot have it both ways.

UXM annual 14 is the first appearance of Gambit, just as ASM 252 is the first app. of the symbiote costume.

You cannot apply " intent" to this either. It doesnt matter if what they did was a mistake ( as with UXM annual 14 ) or intentional ( Secret Wars 8 ) What matters is release date, as it does in every other situation.

Our first gimplse in comics of Gambit was in UXM Annual 14. Thats the definition of first appearance.

Edit: And when I say "glimpse" I really mean Full appearance covering 7 pages and 14 panels of our cajun card throwing friend. NOT A CAMEO.

Agreed! (thumbs u

I believe the very first appearance was in Marvel Age #12 which I believe came out in March..

:)

Quoted just for ygogolak

With the proposed X-Force movie to have both Deadpool and Cable,

what about the possibilities of X-Force 15 taking off if the movie is produced?

I've already stocked up on #2 and #11 and will continue to grab them

along with #15.

That #15 has a really good cover and unless I'm mistaken the first cover that

features both in action. You can find it in the bargain boxes along with 2 and 11.

With the proposed X-Force movie to have both Deadpool and Cable,

what about the possibilities of X-Force 15 taking off if the movie is produced?

I've already stocked up on #2 and #11 and will continue to grab them

along with #15.

That #15 has a really good cover and unless I'm mistaken the first cover that

features both in action. You can find it in the bargain boxes along with 2 and 11.

In the long run, I think anything with Deadpool on the cover is worth picking up. I'm still on the fence about Cable, as I've never liked him in anything, NM 98 notwithstanding. ;)

It must be that cover to 266 that gets it all the hype.

:whistle:

-slym

It is the cover.

look at Conan 23 VS. 24

UXM 120 VS 121

Both of the latter books have the cover appearances. Both of the previous books have much, much more than cameos. CGC has muddied up the waters on them and has not fixed it yet. Why? Because the collecting community gravitated towards the cover appearances.

Since movie hype stuff is so big right now. Can we hype comics on movie hype that did not get hyped at the time the movie was released??? Interesting idea. Let's see if this works. lol

I am watching Blade Trinity on cable. :sick: This movie was released in 2004. Before the movie hype machine that we are seeing today was in motion, In this movie were the NightStalkers! The Nightstalkers had a 18 issue run from Marvel from 1992 to 1994. The first appearance of the Night Stalkers was in Ghost Rider #28. Let's see if we can hype a comic based on a movie from 10 years ago. Now my question is will some people run with this dumb information? lol

4892997aae36f66618dea8d7ecba27ce_zps8fec1f96.jpg[/img]

I'm reading this, and cracking up. I just bought one of these this past week.

The story is that I have gotten my brother first appearances of his favorite characters for Christmas the past few years. He doesn't care about condition, just that he has it. Anyway, he gave me his Top 12 characters as a challenge (and to help me with shopping! Ha ha!). I don't want to say that some of the characters are obscure, but they're definitely not making many favorites lists.

That book is on the list. . .

I'm reading this, and cracking up. I just bought one of these this past week.

The story is that I have gotten my brother first appearances of his favorite characters for Christmas the past few years. He doesn't care about condition, just that he has it. Anyway, he gave me his Top 12 characters as a challenge (and to help me with shopping! Ha ha!). I don't want to say that some of the characters are obscure, but they're definitely not making many favorites lists.

That book is on the list. . .

Battling Bantam? :wishluck:

Is Marvel Age 12 worth anything?

Nothing in the title is worth a grain of salt . . . ;)

I have to disagree. Marvel Age 20 has Spidey in the Black Costume on cover which predates Secret Wars 8 and issue 25 has a rare Rocket Raccoon Appearance on cover. Also issue 138 has Deadpool on the cover.