• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 off-white pages be more desirable than 9.8 white pages?

233 posts in this topic

If there are a "large number of collectors (including CGC collectors) that actually DO think that lower page quality might adversely affect a CGC, then why all the negative reaction to my original post & follow up comments? You are essentially saying I'm right, but still can't quite get yourself to fully admit it by throwing if's,maybe's & might's that collectors may have done or thought before submitting their books.

Another poster made a feeble attempt at humor by bringing up a hypothetical CGC 9.8 with cream pages, so I called him out on it to give me a number of such comics & he of course refused. Yet another poster, gave a chart from their experience that showed 0 zero 9.8 cream pages.

Mr.Watson posted pic's of cream to off-white books that obviously have a higher page quality than what I just repeated from the poster that clearly stated cream pages, nothing more added like off-white. The examples Mr.Watson, as I stated, are of a higher page quality thus the higher grades.

Another poster showed info directly from CGC that stated that certain PQ's couldn't reach/attain a certain high grade. This flat out says grade & PQ is inclusive.

As for everyone who says this is a stupid thread, I can only say to please go back to posting threads about which fictional male superhero you would like to have sex with, all while doing so from your parent's basement where you currently live & have always lived.

:roflmao:

I love it when I get to see an honest-to-goodness take-my-toys-and-go-home meltdown.

natural-laxative_kid-parent-meltdown_image.jpg

I believe the proper nomenclature is "FDQ"? hm

If there are a "large number of collectors (including CGC collectors) that actually DO think that lower page quality might adversely affect a CGC, then why all the negative reaction to my original post & follow up comments? You are essentially saying I'm right, but still can't quite get yourself to fully admit it by throwing if's,maybe's & might's that collectors may have done or thought before submitting their books.

Another poster made a feeble attempt at humor by bringing up a hypothetical CGC 9.8 with cream pages, so I called him out on it to give me a number of such comics & he of course refused. Yet another poster, gave a chart from their experience that showed 0 zero 9.8 cream pages.

Mr.Watson posted pic's of cream to off-white books that obviously have a higher page quality than what I just repeated from the poster that clearly stated cream pages, nothing more added like off-white. The examples Mr.Watson, as I stated, are of a higher page quality thus the higher grades.

Another poster showed info directly from CGC that stated that certain PQ's couldn't reach/attain a certain high grade. This flat out says grade & PQ is inclusive.

As for everyone who says this is a stupid thread, I can only say to please go back to posting threads about which fictional male superhero you would like to have sex with, all while doing so from your parent's basement where you currently live & have always lived.

:roflmao:

I love it when I get to see an honest-to-goodness take-my-toys-and-go-home meltdown.

natural-laxative_kid-parent-meltdown_image.jpg

I believe the proper nomenclature is "FDQ"? hm

That's the next big step for Mumfio. I don't know if he's made his exit yet, but he has to be close. I think he's an eye-twitch away from taking everyone in this thread to Phil's parking lot.

For my next thread, I will pick a something that shouldn't cause any more flame wars. It will be how I think comic book pressing isn't restoration. Shouldn't cause any controversy on these boards, right?

Only as long as you tell all the feeble boardies who disagree that they should go back to their basements and fantasize about male comic book characters.

Bottom line is that white pages represents a condition that is closer to how it was originally issued - and THAT is what makes it desirable. If you don't care about the page quality... that's just fine but you are buying books that have been degraded by oxidation. Has nothing to do with 'PQ kool-aid'.

Please note; blanket statements follow.

In the abstract, you are correct. Metaphysically speaking, white pages denote a condition closer to original than off-white, or even off-white to white.

However, in the real world, page quality can very often - very often - change on any book from submission to submission. It is a capricious and ephemeral notation. Especially on old-label slabs, which are nearly always bumped up in PQ designation upon resub.

Not to mention impermanent. That slab with a white page designation that has been kept in a storage facility or other non-climate controlled area could certainly no longer have white pages.

So, yeah, if you want to make the judgment that the PQ designation is forever and irretrievably absolute, go ahead and pay a premium. If it makes you happier about your purchase then sure. The rest of us will bemoan the artificially inflated prices on our funnybooks but this is balanced by the suppressed prices on books which have the unlucky state of being determined to be anything but white at that particular point in time

This is a strawman to my statements. I never claimed the PQ can't change, I merely stated that it's a relatively straightforward process. Obviously the PQ stated on the slab is a moment in time snapshot.

It's really not that hard to determine a standard and then grade the color of pages based on that standard. Just because the CGC doesn't make that standard public or some of the *smart* folks on this board aren't able to comprehend how that could be done - doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Is it really so hard to imagine a color guide with more gradations that the Overstreet one?

It's not really a strawman. Did you read the disclaimer?

Also, PQ != Page colour.

Also, your point would be even more close to germane if every publisher used the same exact paper, from the same manufacturer on all of their books. The newsprint on, say, Superman 181 from the Silver Age isn't going to look like the newsprint on Avengers 161, which won't look like the newsprint on American Flagg! 10.

lol - Providing a disclaimer doesn't mean you didn't strawman my statement.

PQ = Page Quality (hence the Q)

Oy. Yeah, so Page Quality isn't Page Colour. Perhaps you are unaware of the process CGC uses to assign PQ. They don't look at the color of the book and assign it a quality rating.

There are hundreds of deviations for assigning page quality, some of which vary from book to book in a title. It's dependent upon the type of newsprint they use. A book originally printed on lower-quality newsprint can look brownish and yet be supple and fresh and thus get an OW/W designation. A book whose pages are cream-coloured but are brittle will not get a Cream designation.

Anyway, I've neither the time nor inclination to continue this. Obviously buy what you like and buy the book not the label

I like eggs

Chicken was first

nuh-uh!

I know you are but what am I

I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

ya well...

YOUR MOM! Burn!!!!

79984-fifth-element-OH-SNAP-gif-pEMZ.gif

For my next thread, I will pick a something that shouldn't cause any more flame wars. It will be how I think comic book pressing isn't restoration. Shouldn't cause any controversy on these boards, right?

Start it tomorrow :gossip:

:wishluck:

And next Friday..."Sig Series books are an abomination..especially pedigrees!" or "What scanner is best for slabs?"

For my next thread, I will pick something that shouldn't cause any more flame wars. It will be how I think comic book pressing isn't restoration. Shouldn't cause any controversy on these boards, right?

Only as long as you tell all the feeble boardies who disagree that they should go back to their basements and fantasize about male comic book characters.

Well, that goes without saying.

Years ago, I was on another thread where everybody was against me in ref: to how WWBN #32 was way over priced for a 3rd tier character.

I was right then as more 9.8's have devalued it greatly & I am right now despite what all the trekkie/big bang theory cast rejects that apparently troll this site,say.

Years ago, I was on another thread where everybody was against me in ref: to how WWBN #32 was way over priced for a 3rd tier character.

I was right then as more 9.8's have devalued it greatly & I am right now despite what all the trekkie/big bang theory cast rejects that apparently troll this site,say.

You correctly predicted that as more high grade copies came out of the woodwork that prices would drop on a particular issue.

Look out Nostradamus!

You correctly predicted that as more high grade copies came out of the woodwork that prices would drop on a particular issue.

Look out Nostradamus!

I predict he's a *spoon*.

For my next thread, I will pick something that shouldn't cause any more flame wars. It will be how I think comic book pressing isn't restoration. Shouldn't cause any controversy on these boards, right?

Well, if they ever come up with a "I PREDICTED THE FUTURE PRICE POINT OF A VINTAGE COMIC BOOK" Nobel Peace Prize award, you are really going to show us.

And next Friday..."Sig Series books are an abomination..especially pedigrees!" or "What scanner is best for slabs?"

Nope can't happen. mumfio started a thread in 2011 and another in 2014. That means he can't start another one until 2017. :cry:

Nope can't happen. mumfio started a thread in 2011 and another in 2014. That means he can't start another one until 2017. :cry:

Well that sux.

Maybe Cal will post soon?