• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 off-white pages be more desirable than 9.8 white pages?

233 posts in this topic

I didn't start with it because it wasn't my original point. I only brought up CGC because most posters with their comments act like CGC is perfect, when they definitely arent.

When you try to have a discussion with people who think CGC is god & what they say and do is infallible it is very hard to get anywhere. There was a chart by another poster that proves my PQ point clearly.

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/CGCWhiteness/

It's in black & white and factual but people still want bury the heads in the sand & say the world is flat despite all the evidence staring them in the face. The chart clearly shows a correlation between higher grades & page quality being inclusive with just a few very minute exceptions.

Just stop. When you're wrong you're wrong. Everyone is wrong from time to time. Just man up an admit it. You should be thankful when others correct your mistakes because that's how you learn and get better.

You're not doing yourself any favors.

What chart did you read? Because I read the one in my post that clearly shows I am right. Can you actually read or not? Do yourself a favor & learn to read. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. You should take your own advice & just stop.

t9MUtzM.gif

Balham's Finest,

The reason I bring it up is because I'm seeing more & more people wanting white pages over off-white pages for the same grade. To counter their thinking I would think off-white would be more desirable because it has the same grade despite having a lower page quality.

As I stated before, I don't personally care about page quality just the grade.

I'm just catching up here and I'm admittedly 4 or so fingers into a glass of scotch... but I'll just reinforce what has been said (presumably) in the 13 pages between this quote and my post...

WTF are you talking about? And of course not. And No. White pages are ALWAYS more desirable. Period. End of Story. Nothing more to see here.

White pages is a superior page quality designation. I would definitely purchase a book with white pages over off-white or any other color.

Page coloring = page deterioration.

I think page quality is pretty darned important myself. While I'd pay for a small increase for white pages, I definitely think that some people are getting out of control in regards to charging a premium for page quality.

Assuming the OP didn't know that page quality doesn't affect the grade, I think what the OP is trying to say is that there must have been something superior in the appearance on the outside of the book for a 9.8 off white book compared to a 9.8 white. I think he just wasn't aware that page quality at that level doesn't affect the grade in any way. If it did affect the grade I can understand where the OP is coming from, but since it doesn't, then obviously White pages would be more desirable.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 Off-White to White pages be more desirable than CGC 9.8 White pages due to both having the same grade,rather than being considered less by most collectors? Wouldn't this imply the Off-White to White page copy would grade higher if it did in fact have white pages?

Actually, the CGC shouldn't even note page quality on the label at all unless it actually factors into the assigned grade as their page quality designations are mercurial at best.

If I may be the lone voice of disagreement here, the fact that it's not factored into the grade is exactly why they should annotate the page quality. Otherwise how do you know if a book has nice, white pages or cream? It's not like you can open it.

this totally makes sense, and I'm not sure why someone didn't mention it.

Here's a very secret answer that apparently eludes some people.:

Many people want their comics to be in the condition as close as possible to when it was first released, or first printed. Some of those people are willing to pay more for that. COmic pages were white when they were first printed and put on the shelves. Therefore there are people willing to pay more for the white pages.

Glad I have a Master's Degree so I could come up with that pearl of wisdom. Its a secret, don't tell anyone.

People want their comics to be pristine 10.0 gem mint perfect. They would prefer that to a 9.8 or 9.9 copy, so you're point isn't exactly correct. I'm pretty sure most people would pay more for a CGC 9.9 off-white over a CGC 9.8 white.

The point is fine, I just assumed (and thought everyone else was obviously doing so too) that we were comparing comics in the same CGC grade. When you're comparing different grade/pq combinations, its up to the individual collector what there preferences are, if any.

But as to the question of why some prefer white to off white, its because they want the book to be as close to minty fresh off the press as possible. And some people are willing to pay more for things the prefer, generally (whether its a little or a lot).

^^

Exactly. There are quite a few self proclaimed "PQ snobs" who only want a book with "white pages". They will even choose a lower graded book sometimes for this. These people will be adamant and vociferous in their defense of the perceived importance of PQ, because they probably have spent more money on these books than they really should have, or passed on other, better overall books in chasing that PQ. Me personally, and understanding that every aspect of the grading process is subjective, I find the so-called PQ reference to be the most arbitrary part of the CGC label, and least likely to remain consistent from book to book, or even the same book on press and re-subs. Folks need to remember that it is not necessarily referring to the literal color of the pages but the overall "suppleness". Hence why "brittle" is a part of the paradigm. "Brittle" is not a color of anything, it's a texture, and lighting, a grader's eye sight, level of fatigue, etc can influence how someone "sees" a page on a given day.

That being said I would actually prefer it if CGC stopped with the whole PQ part of the label altogether, other than when the pages are actually brittle or slightly brittle, as there really is no way to consistently quantify PQ. It is just way too subjective, and they really are all over the map with it, and, unfortunately, there are plenty of people who give it far more weight and credibility than it actually deserves. I would never buy a 4.0 anything with "white pages" over a 6.0 with "cream to off white pages". And I would never pay a premium for any book that happens to have "white pages". But hey, that's just me, and to each his own. It gives us all one more thing to disagree about. :slapfight:lol

-J.

I have a follow up question;

this thread is stupid.

Thanks,

Sal

:hi:

That's not a question.

:rulez:

(shrug)

I was honouring the spirit of the thread

this thread is stupid.

Thanks,

Sal

That's not a question.

(shrug)

Stupidity should never be honored.

I was using the term ironically. I hear that's how the kids are rolling these days

this thread is stupid.

Thanks,

Sal

That's not a question.

(shrug)

I was using the term ironically. I hear that's how the kids are rolling these days

Stop trying to relate to the kids today. It makes one look old and pathetic.

this thread is stupid.

Thanks,

Sal

That's not a question.

(shrug)

Stop trying to relate to the kids today. It makes one look old and pathetic.

I don't need to try and relate to the kids to satisfy your first condition. And it would take a lot more than that to satisfy your second. So, I appreciate your advice, given you are something of a savant when it comes to relating to kids of any era