• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shouldn't a CGC 9.8 off-white pages be more desirable than 9.8 white pages?

233 posts in this topic

Bottom line is that white pages represents a condition that is closer to how it was originally issued - and THAT is what makes it desirable. If you don't care about the page quality... that's just fine but you are buying books that have been degraded by oxidation. Has nothing to do with 'PQ kool-aid'.

Please note; blanket statements follow.

In the abstract, you are correct. Metaphysically speaking, white pages denote a condition closer to original than off-white, or even off-white to white.

However, in the real world, page quality can very often - very often - change on any book from submission to submission. It is a capricious and ephemeral notation. Especially on old-label slabs, which are nearly always bumped up in PQ designation upon resub.

Not to mention impermanent. That slab with a white page designation that has been kept in a storage facility or other non-climate controlled area could certainly no longer have white pages.

So, yeah, if you want to make the judgment that the PQ designation is forever and irretrievably absolute, go ahead and pay a premium. If it makes you happier about your purchase then sure. The rest of us will bemoan the artificially inflated prices on our funnybooks but this is balanced by the suppressed prices on books which have the unlucky state of being determined to be anything but white at that particular point in time

Yes. Exactly what Sal said. (thumbs u Nobody has told anybody not to pay more for a book with "white pages" if that's what they really, really want to do. But you are buying into a bit of dealer carnival barking if you do. Just sayin....

Me personally, any and all non-modern books that I own with "white" pages was purely incidental to my purchase of the comic.

-J.

Sure it does, especially when you're taking someone else's opinion as fact in regards to the page quality.

If you don't "take someone else's opinion as fact..." why bother having it graded in the first place? I have some low grade books that I'm willing to sell you at NM prices... IMHO they are 9.8's... so that makes sense right?

Do you understand how they judge the PQ? It's a pretty straightforward process and not a lot of room for interpretation. Is your position that books are routinely not graded correctly in terms of PQ? I believe that is actually the most consistent thing being graded.

:signfunny: ... lol

Indeed. He needs to find something else to believe in.

So I went to a book store asking for a copy of Days of Future Past in paperback. I told the clerk that I wanted it with white pages because it's more desirable. I bought the book and brought It home only to find out that, well...

white-pages_zps438d6dc7.jpg

So I went to a book store asking for a copy of Days of Future Past in paperback. I told the clerk that I wanted it with white pages because it's more desirable. I bought the book and brought It home only to find out that, well...

white-pages_zps438d6dc7.jpg

"Bone white pages!"

Sure it does, especially when you're taking someone else's opinion as fact in regards to the page quality.

If you don't "take someone else's opinion as fact..." why bother having it graded in the first place? I have some low grade books that I'm willing to sell you at NM prices... IMHO they are 9.8's... so that makes sense right?

Do you understand how they judge the PQ? It's a pretty straightforward process and not a lot of room for interpretation. Is your position that books are routinely not graded correctly in terms of PQ? I believe that is actually the most consistent thing being graded.

He'd do better with Santa Clause.

It's like I said, the people who religiously drink the PQ Kool-Aid need to rationalize to themselves why they paid more for supposedly "white pages". But it only takes another person who doesn't care either way to pay even more for the same book in the same grade with "cr/ow" pages to destroy their theory that their "white" paged books are "worth" more simply because they have "white" pages. They are not worth more. Only to themselves. Other than the pages being brittle, PQ just isn't that important, even less so as the book becomes rarer and more key.

-J.

Considering the broader comic market pays a premium for white pages, that is by definition being worth more.

There are collectors who don't care about condition, but it would be silly for them to say higher grade comics aren't worth more?

If there are a "large number of collectors (including CGC collectors) that actually DO think that lower page quality might adversely affect a CGC, then why all the negative reaction to my original post & follow up comments? You are essentially saying I'm right, but still can't quite get yourself to fully admit it by throwing if's,maybe's & might's that collectors may have done or thought before submitting their books.

Another poster made a feeble attempt at humor by bringing up a hypothetical CGC 9.8 with cream pages, so I called him out on it to give me a number of such comics & he of course refused. Yet another poster, gave a chart from their experience that showed 0 zero 9.8 cream pages.

Mr.Watson posted pic's of cream to off-white books that obviously have a higher page quality than what I just repeated from the poster that clearly stated cream pages, nothing more added like off-white. The examples Mr.Watson, as I stated, are of a higher page quality thus the higher grades.

Another poster showed info directly from CGC that stated that certain PQ's couldn't reach/attain a certain high grade. This flat out says grade & PQ is inclusive.

As for everyone who says this is a stupid thread, I can only say to please go back to posting threads about which fictional male superhero you would like to have sex with, all while doing so from your parent's basement where you currently live & have always lived.

As for everyone who says this is a stupid thread, I can only say to please go back to posting threads about which fictional male superhero you would like to have sex with, all while doing so from your parent's basement where you currently live & have always lived.

Awesome!

#TEAM TARANTULA

Bottom line is that white pages represents a condition that is closer to how it was originally issued - and THAT is what makes it desirable. If you don't care about the page quality... that's just fine but you are buying books that have been degraded by oxidation. Has nothing to do with 'PQ kool-aid'.

Please note; blanket statements follow.

In the abstract, you are correct. Metaphysically speaking, white pages denote a condition closer to original than off-white, or even off-white to white.

However, in the real world, page quality can very often - very often - change on any book from submission to submission. It is a capricious and ephemeral notation. Especially on old-label slabs, which are nearly always bumped up in PQ designation upon resub.

Not to mention impermanent. That slab with a white page designation that has been kept in a storage facility or other non-climate controlled area could certainly no longer have white pages.

So, yeah, if you want to make the judgment that the PQ designation is forever and irretrievably absolute, go ahead and pay a premium. If it makes you happier about your purchase then sure. The rest of us will bemoan the artificially inflated prices on our funnybooks but this is balanced by the suppressed prices on books which have the unlucky state of being determined to be anything but white at that particular point in time

This is a strawman to my statements. I never claimed the PQ can't change, I merely stated that it's a relatively straightforward process. Obviously the PQ stated on the slab is a moment in time snapshot.

It's really not that hard to determine a standard and then grade the color of pages based on that standard. Just because the CGC doesn't make that standard public or some of the *smart* folks on this board aren't able to comprehend how that could be done - doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Is it really so hard to imagine a color guide with more gradations than the Overstreet one?

Awesome!

#TEAM STRAWMAN

FTFY buddy (thumbs u

Having worked in Marketing for 15+ years I believe that color is a very easy thing to determine - and I believe in that.