• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

263 posts in this topic

(Btw, what is the grade on that Parent Trap?

Love seeing that book in someone's collection!!)

It's only a 6.5 due to a small stain on the B.C. that drags it down. I picked all of those Dells up in one huge collection I bought years ago, and could not part with them. Many of the Westerns are newstand fresh and look like they were never read. (shrug)

I sold off a few hundred of them and kept the high grade ones for my stash.

Great thread.

Makes me think of getting a few of these great photo and painted covers.

Hepcat, those "Indian Chiefs" are wonderful.

Now, I have not seen a "co-priced" Dell before and GCD is no help.

Anyone able to shed any light?

Or the Real Whatchamacallits:

2hs9en5.jpg

Whoa...I never noticed that foreign price on my book...what country is that?

If I was a betting man (and I am) I'd say the United Kingdom.

Why?

I have never seen a Dell this old with an Australian cover price. Any Dell was simply not imported in 1961.

Although I'd love to be corrected here, the market here was so small it simply wouldn't have been worth doing a price variant run.

Great Britain, however, was much larger - and I am pretty sure Atlas/Marvel was printing price variants (Pence copies) at this time.

Anywhere else? South Africa? Nope, they had (and have) Rands. Uganda? Tanzania? Currency is right, they are former colonies, but I doubt it.

Anyway, my 12d (see what I did there :shy:)

Well, I got the results from my CGC submission today for the four Dell Wyatt Earps that I posted on the first page of this thread.

Goes to show what I know about grading. I had issue #10 pegged as my weakest one. I figured it was an 8.0-8.5. It got a 9.0. But, I thought #7 was a solid 9.0 and it got an 8.0.

But who's to say that CGC is right and you're wrong though?

(shrug)

I've been thinking recently that it would be a cool project to put together a more or less mid-grade run of Four Colors. There is so much variety and genres represented. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

Just some group shots. Don't make me go to the vault.

Cool! Nice display!

(thumbs u

But now I'm puzzled. I was tempted to conclude that you like collecting Dell photo covers but the Silver and the Disney titles don't fit that theme. How would you characterize your Dell collecting efforts then?

???

Never have seen that. Very unique.

Paging Hepcat.....

I was thinking the U.K. as well but those were never sold in Canada. A scattered few Canadian editions were published during WWII but ever since then the comics on Canadian newstands have been the same ones sold in the United States.

:)

Here are scans of a few more of my Lone Ranger comics:

25-08-201174228PM.jpg

25-08-201174253PM.jpg

05-09-2011114104PM.jpg

91 File Copy

15-11-201174920PM.jpg

15-11-201174933PM.jpg

15-11-201174952PM.jpg

16-11-201173530PM.jpg

16-11-201173533PM.jpg

16-11-201173536PM.jpg

16-11-201173540PM.jpg

:cool:

Lovely books as always Hepcat (worship)

Never have seen that. Very unique.

Paging Hepcat.....

I was thinking the U.K. as well but those were never sold in Canada. A scattered few Canadian editions were published during WWII but ever since then the comics on Canadian newstands have been the same ones sold in the United States.

:)

I dont think its all that unique, I was thinking that I bet I could quick look and pull some more UK price variant Dells out, I should have a few at least :grin:

Just some group shots. Don't make me go to the vault.

Cool! Nice display!

(thumbs u

But now I'm puzzled. I was tempted to conclude that you like collecting Dell photo covers but the Silver and the Disney titles don't fit that theme. How would you characterize your Dell collecting efforts then?

???

I don't really. I picked up about 400 Dells in a huge collection years ago. I pulled about 110 that I liked and were higher grades, and never parted with them. Some day I"ll start hunting more down to finish some of the small runs.