• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,525 posts in this topic

And thanks to all the board regulars and irregulars who drop by to post and drive by to look - Rick,Alan,John,Ron,Ken,Tony,Roland,Lee,Richard,Michael,Joanna,Kevin,Jamie,Raphe. Bo for starting. Others I've forgotten or don't know personally. I feel comfortable making this thread my playground. It has taken a long time to come out of the romance closet. "The genre that dare not speak its name."

And to play catchup:

Rip - the stunning one of a kind 9.4 Cole and the beautiful glossy Ace books - drawn covers, the 3rd flavor of Ace (photo and painted being the other two) :applause:

kat123 - nice group of books for an OA guy, Will! so that's where all the True Love Secrets 23 have gone! :applause:

Tricolorbrian - great books, great Bakers. Love that TAR 33. Especially yours. And Ken's. :applause: Ken, you made your move and started the 6th Street Stampede. The high prices are your fault. Brian, where would we be without our ex-wives?

Buttock - great books! :applause: Somehow I feel you've got more than just those incredible digests. :baiting: and I wanted to say your screen name again. lol

Reality Consensus - keep them coming George. Bust out those boxes! :applause: Don't keep them in the garage like ol Davis Crippen.

Porcupine - welcome to the club brother! moon girls :cloud9:

Edited by Dr. Love

Your recent postings, Dr. Love, have been just the right medicine for the Board Romance Blues we had been suffering from of late. (worship)

Thank you adamstrange. Affairs of the heart, like the larger affairs of the world, can be troubling. We are confused, filled with conflicting emotions.

Sometimes we have to find our right size in the universe, like the Budda said. Or that might mean getting small, like Steve Martin said.

LoveDiary16fc100_zps2b02827b.jpg

BUT oh, my friends, my friends

at the end of the day, we've laughed, we've cried, we've stolen books from each other;

we can all calm down in front of a nice little campfire, and as the colors of the night sky slowly turn to deeper shades of dusk, we say

"hush little doggies, goodnight to moonlight ladies, and see ya tomorraw pard to good friends, all"

CowboyLove29f100_zps0bcf5d07.jpg

Fawcett, with its last dying gasp, settles up, pays the man and then punts this title to Charlton in 1954. A few interesting treatments to a few photo covers, and then begins what I call The Golden Age of Silver, at least for Charlton. 1955, right up to the Code. :headbang:

Sweethearts25fc100_zps83eac320.jpg

She does look Bakerish!

Fawcett, with its last dying gasp, settles up, pays the man and then punts this title to Charlton in 1954. A few interesting treatments to a few photo covers, and then begins what I call The Golden Age of Silver, at least for Charlton. 1955, right up to the Code. :headbang:

Sweethearts25fc100_zps83eac320.jpg

She does look Bakerish!

Probably because the inker is Ray Osrin who as we know did some of the best inking of Baker's work.

Yeah I had never seen it before so I grabbed it when it was up on ebay awhile back. I think it's the last St. John romance (Feb-1958), barely beating out these two

r2e0.jpg

e53x.jpg

Say, those two St. John romance books look like line drawn covers not by Baker.

Anyone...?

Yeah I had never seen it before so I grabbed it when it was up on ebay awhile back. I think it's the last St. John romance (Feb-1958), barely beating out these two

r2e0.jpg

e53x.jpg

Anyone...?

First time I've seen either book ... but I think you are right. hm

r2e0.jpg

e53x.jpg

Anyone...?

I didn't say they were by Baker, just that they were among the last of the romance published by St. John.

r2e0.jpg

e53x.jpg

Anyone...?

I didn't say they were by Baker, just that they were among the last of the romance published by St. John.

What I mean is, I wonder why Benson didn't include these two when he called All-Picture All-True Love Story #2 the "only line drawn romance cover not by Baker."

AllPictureAllTrueLoveStory2d_zps596972da.jpg

Unless you believe that APALLs 2 was drawn by Baker, in which case those two It's L cubed are the only non-Baker line-drawn covers.

At that point, wasn't St. John scrambling to put together whatever books they could from inventory? Who knows where they may have gotten those covers from?

Unless you believe that APALLs 2 was drawn by Baker, in which case those two It's L cubed are the only non-Baker line-drawn covers.

Right. I don't agree with the claim 100%, in the first place. I think Baker had a hand in the APATLS 2 cover.

At that point, wasn't St. John scrambling to put together whatever books they could from inventory? Who knows where they may have gotten those covers from?

Nevertheless, it's line drawn art, even if the covers are composites made from pre-existing story panels.