• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,452 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Never seen these before.  Charlton "errors"? hm

That's just it, Sqeggs. I'm guessing, but like Richard said, they are all Charlton products, the covers and interiors, but they are mismatched, the inside covers are blank, and the one appears to be yellow plate only. The other, the crossword puzzle book, says in the upper right it's a Charlton publication, but it's clearly not supposed to be a romance comic book. I got them in a lot I bought mostly for s decent copy of First Love 11 (headlights cover), and these were a pleasant surprise when I waded through the stack.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:30 PM, Sqeggs said:

One of the classic ACG romance books.  Wish the grade had come back a bit higher, but I know see that there was more damage to the open edge than I had remembered. 

2018-02-02-0001_zps7jbgduix.JPG

Just a great cover.  Looks like she has had a rough past decade.  ACG really started cranking it up a serious notch.  

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

More Colletta goodness.

2018-02-06-0001_zpsxc6jksru.JPG

Nice! Your Colleta's will soon rival your Bakers in numbers :wink: 

Speaking of which, how much percentage  of your collection would you say is Romance  now?

I know I was going through some scans the other day and was surprised at how many I own. I remember years ago when I vowed the only Romance books in my collection would be the Negro Romance and Forbidden Love runs. 

Famous last words (:

54 minutes ago, sagii said:

Speaking of which, how much percentage  of your collection would you say is Romance  now?

I know I was going through some scans the other day and was surprised at how many I own. I remember years ago when I vowed the only Romance books in my collection would be the Negro Romance and Forbidden Love runs. 

Famous last words (:

Interesting question!  I don't know, but it's got to be 20%-25% by now. hm

And, yeah, the romance bug bites hard! :)

On 2/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, sagii said:

Famous last words (:

On 2/6/2018 at 4:53 PM, Sqeggs said:

More Colletta goodness.

I think that may be my old copy?!

29 minutes ago, Silver said:
On 2/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, Sqeggs said:

More Colletta goodness.

I think that may be my old copy?!

It's possible.  I bought it on the boards almost exactly two years ago, but from another boardie. 

Edited to add:  It was raw when I bought it.

Edited by Sqeggs

51 minutes ago, Silver said:

I don’t think I have ever heard any GI Sweethearts May have Baker covers. Which issues do you think?

With the Quality Romance covers it can be tricky: There are covers confirmed as him that are obvious. There are covers obviously him that are not confirmed by any of the Baker reference 'tools' I use. Maybe the 'Art of Glamour' has confirmed some of these since the Alter Ego piece. Even in the AE piece the author states questions remain on some pieces 'confirmed' and unconfirmed. Then there are the covers that imho are his that are buried under such heavy inker work that only the slightest Baker traces are left. One sure sign i notice in most of the Quality covers with heavy and light inkers is that the Baker men are WAY more obvious to spot than the women. A strange twist considering the man is known for his ladies.

In the G.I. Sweethearts series, I believe #35 could be Baker. The other two i was referring to(my apologies) are from the other War themed romance Quality title 'True War Romances'. I believe issues #10, #12 and #20 are Baker in that run.

Someone bought up the Jungle books long to be believed as Baker as not being Baker. Maybe we need a Thread devoted to this subject? hm

Edited by sagii

18 hours ago, Silver said:

I don’t think I have ever heard any GI Sweethearts May have Baker covers. Which issues do you think?

I don't believe any of that series have Baker covers.

17 hours ago, sagii said:

With the Quality Romance covers it can be tricky: There are covers confirmed as him that are obvious. There are covers obviously him that are not confirmed by any of the Baker reference 'tools' I use. Maybe the 'Art of Glamour' has confirmed some of these since the Alter Ego piece. Even in the AE piece the author states questions remain on some pieces 'confirmed' and unconfirmed. Then there are the covers that imho are his that are buried under such heavy inker work that only the slightest Baker traces are left. One sure sign i notice in most of the Quality covers with heavy and light inkers is that the Baker men are WAY more obvious to spot than the women. A strange twist considering the man is known for his ladies.

In the G.I. Sweethearts series, I believe #35 could be Baker. The other two i was referring to(my apologies) are from the other War themed romance Quality title 'True War Romances'. I believe issues #10, #12 and #20 are Baker in that run.

Someone bought up the Jungle books long to be believed as Baker as not being Baker. Maybe we need a Thread devoted to this subject? hm

Nov 1953 seems too early for him to be doing work for Quality.  I think he was only working at St John at that point. 

17 hours ago, sagii said:

For True War Romances, the 10 and the 12 were published when I think he was still only doing work for St John.  I can kind of see what you mean with the 20 that the face looks Bakerish, but, as a whole, the cover seems too awkwardly drawn for me to think it's Baker.  But I could easily be wrong!