• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,454 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Microbia said:

One of my favorite Comic Media covers. Kudos to Mr. Heck. Love the way wine bottle in the foreground is pointing “up and at her,“ and the shadowy shroud behind her head suggests an element of intrigue with an arm holding a gun. And it fits the bill for “rare” as the only graded copy. 

24D7FDE9-4796-46CC-8EE8-9A9E2840D952.jpeg

What a great book!  As Sagii noted with his sweet purchase of the Dear Lonely Heart #7, Comic Media are real hard to find in grade - very little output overall.  Don Heck was one of their go to guys, and this is one of only two Heck romance covers from the 50's.

8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

+1

Welcome, Microbia!  a great Ebay seller and romance collector as well, for many years   :headbang:

...I thought that name was familiar.......... GOD BLESS......

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've bought a few things from Microbia... I'm pretty sure my CL 15 came from him... (CGC 9.0, from the 'Circle 8' collection)... wonder if he remembers this one... though it was about ten years ago...  

(Welcome to the boards, M!)    

cl15_pb.jpg

10 hours ago, Microbia said:

One of my favorite Comic Media covers. Kudos to Mr. Heck. Love the way wine bottle in the foreground is pointing “up and at her,“ and the shadowy shroud behind her head suggests an element of intrigue with an arm holding a gun. And it fits the bill for “rare” as the only graded copy. 

:applause:Real knockout!

3 minutes ago, Microbia said:

Yes, I fondly and regrettably remember that one!  But glad it stayed in the hands of a passionate collector. 

I love it, man.  Why do you think I still have the book, a decade later, and not once have I even considered selling it?  

Btw, your price on the book was very reasonable, I thought... even ten years ago.  Thanks very much!  (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Cool offbeat romance ish. Contains the story "I Was An Unwed Mother!".  hm

dearlonelyhearts7.jpg.e54196467cfe96a3482adb1444a996f6.jpg Great 

:applause:Another cool 'Comic Media' publication! Great cover, if you factor in he's bringing her a Hot Dog even takes on even more funny situation :D

On a side note: That Mildred Norton character even resembles classic Hollywood actress Joan Crawford in this image used also (there was another one used more regularly on the other covers). The fact Crawford won her only Oscar for the film 'Mildred Pierce' makes it even more possible the publisher 'stole' her likeness

Edited by sagii

9 minutes ago, sagii said:

:applause:Another cool 'Comic Media' publication! Great cover, if you factor in he's bringing her a Hot Dog even takes on even more funny situation :D

On a side note: That Mildred Norton character even resembles classic Hollywood actress Joan Crawford in this image used also (there was another one used more regularly on the other covers). The fact Crawford won her only Oscar for the film 'Mildred Pierce' makes it even more possible the publisher 'stole' her likeness

Man, nothing gets by you!  I think you nailed this.  

I saw Mildred Pierce on TCM a few years ago and it's really something.  Well worth a look if you like old-time Hollywood pulling-out-all-the-stops films. 

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Man, nothing gets by you!  I think you nailed this.  

I saw Mildred Pierce on TCM a few years ago and it's really something.  Well worth a look if you like old-time Hollywood pulling-out-all-the-stops films. 

Hey, I'm a classic Hollywood movie geek too (:

I know GCD has mentioned it's a Crawford lookalike too, but yes, I think the Mildred Pierce angle confirms it. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:47 PM, Microbia said:

Nice book. The cover is by Pete Morisi, a devoted fan of George Tuska.

Here's a later issue with a Don Heck cover (image from GCD).

287270.jpg

45 minutes ago, sagii said:

I was thinking much the same. It's just going to be him and his hot dog now for many nights to come.  :D

Hadn't seen a copy of this one before.  Kind of an unusual portrayal of a pensive couple.  Although I suppose I would be pensive too if I were an outsider, a romance wrecker, and the whole town was talking about me. hm

lf_zpslcgmsnc2.JPG

32 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Hadn't seen a copy of this one before.  Kind of an unusual portrayal of a pensive couple.  Although I suppose I would be pensive too if I were an outsider, a romance wrecker, and the whole town was talking about me. hm

lf_zpslcgmsnc2.JPG

Ah! So it was you!