• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,452 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I hope he at least leaves her a big tip!

And after the tip, I hope he gives her the rest of it.   

:banana: :whee: :acclaim:

Took me a while to get this!  :whatthe:

Here's a nice Peter Parker/ Betty Brant photo cover :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

SczBBG2.jpg

..... followed by the Ned Leads/ Betty Brant photo cover........ GOD BLESS....

iW9au8S.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

This one arrived today courtesy of @Bunky Brian from his recent Thread. At first i thought i overpaid a little (given how obscure and off the radar it is), but i know some of the publishers stuff is very HTF, and this one had been on my eBay watch list for a loooong time. Love the cover (maybe the inspiration for Atlas' Girl Confessions #26 hm ). The girl has a Grace Kelly vibe going and the guy is totally Robert Mitchum, and the fact that he's so 'forward' but you know she's intrigued :D.

Anyway, all feelings of over paying went away once it was in hand and i peaked the interiors :x, just WOW! Thank you Brian :foryou:

Dear Lonely Heart #7.jpg

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

Some interior shots (totally Iger stuff IMHO). Headlights and spanking :blush:

Really nice stuff!  Two Wally Wood spanking panels in one book!  Who could ask for more?  (I believe "I was a Shrew!" was originally published in Popular Teen-Agers #14.)  Thanks for posting those great interiors.    

17 minutes ago, sagii said:

This one arrived today courtesy of @Bunky Brian from his recent Thread. At first i thought i overpaid a little (given how obscure and off the radar it is), but i know some of the publishers stuff is very HTF, and this one had been on my eBay watch list for a loooong time. Love the cover (maybe the inspiration for Atlas' Girl Confessions #26 hm ). The girl has a Grace Kelly vibe going and the guy is totally Robert Mitchum, and the fact that he's so 'forward' but you know she's intrigued :D.

Anyway, all feelings of over paying went away once it was in hand and i peaked the interiors :x, just WOW! Thank you Brian :foryou:

Dear Lonely Heart #7.jpg

Did someone say, "Girl Confessions #26"?  

GirlConfessions26.jpg

5 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Really nice stuff!  Two Wally Wood spanking panels in one book!  Who could ask for more?  (I believe "I was a Shrew!" was originally published in Popular Teen-Agers #14.)  Thanks for posting those great interiors.    

Thanks sir! Wow, the wealth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me on these Boards. So was most of the publishers output 'reprints' from other companies?

1 minute ago, sagii said:
8 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Thanks sir! Wow, the wealth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me on these Boards. So was most of the publishers output 'reprints' from other companies?

My knowledge of Comic Media books is very limited.  In this case, I just happened to recognize the Wood story, and knew where else I'd seen it.  But I'd say it's correct to assume this publisher relied largely, if not entirely, on reprints.  Some of the other material looks a lot like stuff from Superior books. 

21 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Did someone say, "Girl Confessions #26"?  

GirlConfessions26.jpg

Hairy devil, ain't he? :)

For me, no romance artist was more up and down the Hartley.  I think this is one of his better covers.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:
2 hours ago, sagii said:
2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

My knowledge of Comic Media books is very limited.  In this case, I just happened to recognize the Wood story, and knew where else I'd seen it.  But I'd say it's correct to assume this publisher relied largely, if not entirely, on reprints.  Some of the other material looks a lot like stuff from Superior books. 

After a little checking, I found that Dear Lonely Heart #7 (Comic Media) was published in Aug., 1952, and Popular Teen-Agers #14 (Star Publications) in Nov., 1952.  So the latter was evidently not the original source for "I was a Shrew!"  But this should come as no big surprise.  It's well known that Star published tons of reprints, a great many from Fox. 

So it's at least possible that Dear Lonely Heart #7 was the original source for that great Wood story.  But it's the other pages that make me wonder; the pages that appear (to me, at least) to be from Superior publications.  Of course, Superior used material created by the Iger studio.  It's certainly possible that Comic Media did, too.             

After a little checking, I found that Dear Lonely Heart #7 (Comic Media) was published in Aug., 1952, and Popular Teen-Agers #14 (Star Publications) in Nov., 1952.  So the latter was evidently not the original source for "I was a Shrew!"  But this should come as no big surprise.  It's well known that Star published tons of reprints, a great many from Fox. 

So it's at least possible that Dear Lonely Heart #7 was the original source for that great Wood story.  But it's the other pages that make me wonder; the pages that appear (to me, at least) to be from Superior publications.  Of course, Superior used material created by the Iger studio.  It's certainly possible that Comic Media did, too.             

So DLH came first ? :headbang:

But fascinating that it was reprinted by another publisher only months later. I agree, the interiors look like Superior comics (Iger) interiors. Great Detective work!

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

So DLH came first ? :headbang:

But fascinating that it was reprinted by another publisher only months later. I agree, the interiors look like Superior comics (Iger) interiors. Great Detective work!

Another thing, though; "I was a Shrew!" does not look like Wood's 1952 work, imo.  It looks like his earlier stuff.  Based on this, I'd still guess that story is probably reprinted from a still earlier source.    

Another thing, though; "I was a Shrew!" does not look like Wood's 1952 work, imo.  It looks like his earlier stuff.  Based on this, I'd still guess that story is probably reprinted from a still earlier source.    

I'm not a Wally 'expert', but from his renowned examples i am familiar with, this does look 'looser' , so yes. absolutely a possibility too. 

8 hours ago, sagii said:

Dear Lonely Heart #7.jpg

hard to find gems are hard to find, and cost more to find :ohnoez:

56 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Picked this one up thanks to an awesome boardie pal who tipped me off to an auction I'd not have noticed otherwise.  Probably rare in high grade only...or maybe not at all, its a Harvey.  Still a great Al Avison cover, and an issue with a scandalous OPG citation for a rape scene...yikes.  Really happy to have snagged this one.

hsr10cgc92.jpg

:applause:Congrats! Interesting, quite a few Harvey Romance books have a rape story citation in Overstreet. I know the Horror Harveys are sought after because of their covers, but their Romance books  seem to have had a great deal of the subject matter inside that was driving the 'good Doctor' mad. 

34 minutes ago, Microbia said:

One of my favorite Comic Media covers. Kudos to Mr. Heck. Love the way wine bottle in the foreground is pointing “up and at her,“ and the shadowy shroud behind her head suggests an element of intrigue with an arm holding a gun. And it fits the bill for “rare” as the only graded copy. 

24D7FDE9-4796-46CC-8EE8-9A9E2840D952.jpeg

Excellent cover. Welcome to the boards Microbia, purchase multiple rare books over the years from you on eBay. thanks