• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,452 posts in this topic

Good points. Mostly mentioned for discussion because the AE piece omitted some obvious ones. 

On the 20, i agree the art looks stiff, but something about the guy....

Now say too early on the 10 and 12 , but do you see any 'Baker' at all in them ?

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

Good points. Mostly mentioned for discussion because the AE piece omitted some obvious ones. 

On the 20, i agree the art looks stiff, but something about the guy....

Now say too early on the 10 and 12 , but do you see any 'Baker' at all in them ?

To be honest, not really.  If you compare his St John covers from this period, these just look very weak in comparison.  The guy with the red hair on the cover of 12 does look Bakerish.  Maybe somebody imitating him?

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not sure who drew some of these Ace cover, but I really like them.  A dirt cheap buy on eBay a couple of years back.  Of course, I'm the only person dumb enough to have bothered slabbing one of these. 

2018-02-09-0001_zpsuhfbs5m1-2.JPG

Jim V attributes it to Norman Nodel ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not sure who drew some of these Ace cover, but I really like them.  A dirt cheap buy on eBay a couple of years back.  Of course, I'm the only person dumb enough to have bothered slabbing one of these. 

2018-02-09-0001_zpsuhfbs5m1-2.JPG

Jim V attributes it to Norman Nodel ...... GOD BLESS....

Good info.  Thanks.

This comic held steady, almost a photo finish with the second copy offered on eBay tonight compared with a copy from last November. Can't believe the 'Conforms to the comics code' star on the cover considering the scene. Boy Loves Girl #29 also by Lev Gleason hinted at the situation also. The seller listed it in the  'crime' section instead of Romance.

This years sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lovers-039-Lane-38-Controversial-rapey-cover-FN-cond-/263482076416?hash=item3d58c16d00%3Ag%3AVcsAAOSwjytaekbZ&nma=true&si=vNJQFciPVelfELGweb4T7E6Yq24%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

last years sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEV-GLEASON-COMICS-38-LOVER-039-S-LANE-GOLDEN-AGE-COMIC-1-1953-VERY-GOOD-/382286774919?hash=item5902114287%3Ag%3A-0gAAOSwpvZaDlk5&nma=true&si=vNJQFciPVelfELGweb4T7E6Yq24%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

13 hours ago, sagii said:

This comic held steady, almost a photo finish with the second copy offered on eBay tonight compared with a copy from last November. Can't believe the 'Conforms to the comics code' star on the cover considering the scene. Boy Loves Girl #29 also by Lev Gleason hinted at the situation also. The seller listed it in the  'crime' section instead of Romance.

This years sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lovers-039-Lane-38-Controversial-rapey-cover-FN-cond-/263482076416?hash=item3d58c16d00%3Ag%3AVcsAAOSwjytaekbZ&nma=true&si=vNJQFciPVelfELGweb4T7E6Yq24%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

last years sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEV-GLEASON-COMICS-38-LOVER-039-S-LANE-GOLDEN-AGE-COMIC-1-1953-VERY-GOOD-/382286774919?hash=item5902114287%3Ag%3A-0gAAOSwpvZaDlk5&nma=true&si=vNJQFciPVelfELGweb4T7E6Yq24%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Interesting.  The copy from last year appears to have much better colors, unless it's a function of the scans. hm

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting.  The copy from last year appears to have much better colors, unless it's a function of the scans. hm

Yes, it would appear so that the color strike was superior on the copy sold last year

I had never seen this one.... but many romance books fit that bill. I thought this one was cool and decided to take it home to momma ..... GOD BLESS....

hbFcyDL.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I had never seen this one.... but many romance books fit that bill. I thought this one was cool and decided to take it home to momma ..... GOD BLESS....

hbFcyDL.jpg

I hope he at least leaves her a big tip!