• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,446 posts in this topic

I bought this copy of Frontier Romances from Brad F-VF at WonderCon recently. I had one but sold it. I saw this one at a reasonable price and just bought it. When I started looking at it, I realized why I probably sold my first copy. Just pretty much un-readable. Big SOTI book with that one classic panel otherwise   (shrug)

comfrontierromances1a.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I bought this copy of Frontier Romances from Brad F-VF at WonderCon recently. I had one but sold it. I saw this one at a reasonable price and just bought it. When I started looking at it, I realized why I probably sold my first copy. Just pretty much un-readable. Big SOTI book with that one classic panel otherwise   (shrug)

If you couldn’t see the mans left hand, it be worth thousands

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

all (worship) to kaizerdawg.  It sold for $1250, but that is still a very very very nice sale for a VG/F copy of an admittedly hard to find book.  Harder than the #1.

It has a cool cover but I wasn't really familiar with the book. It surprised me that it went for so much considering it wasn't known to me. Some of these tough romance books are so hard to find...without Baker or Cole art or some classic cover, there are so many great ones flying under the radar...

I was just about to check the census on this one...but that was a really strong sale to go with a aggressive buy it now price...

31 minutes ago, PeterPark said:
2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

all (worship) to kaizerdawg.  It sold for $1250, but that is still a very very very nice sale for a VG/F copy of an admittedly hard to find book.  Harder than the #1.

It has a cool cover but I wasn't really familiar with the book. It surprised me that it went for so much considering it wasn't known to me. Some of these tough romance books are so hard to find...without Baker or Cole art or some classic cover, there are so many great ones flying under the radar...

I was just about to check the census on this one...but that was a really strong sale to go with a aggressive buy it now price...

So he accepted a best offer? hm

Kind of stupefying given the condition ....

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It's the cover, baby.  These two really like each other -- much more than the Cowgirl Romances couple. :)

35 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Looks like there's a single 5.0 on the census.  Apparently a very tough book, but I wasn't previously aware of it. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It's the cover, baby.  These two really like each other -- much more than the Cowgirl Romances couple. :)

Then I guess I paid too much for a cover. I could have gotten a lot better "love book" cover for less money...

On 5/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, Sqeggs said:

I think I only managed to land this one today because it was neither a Chuch copy nor a highest-graded.  But after staring at if for awhile, I put in a proxy bid far above what I ended up paying.  Honestly, it's now one of my favorite romance covers.  I'd even place it up there with the work of the sainted Matt. :whatthe:

Don't know who the artist was.  Maybe @Dr. Love can enlighten us. hm

front_zpscyc3a6g2.JPG

It is a fabulous book. Congrats.

42 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Same model (I think), but two very different looks. 

lf_zpsh3oqnumy.JPG

roma_zps1qbdpg9p.JPG

Cool pick ups! Love photo covers, of all the genres that used them, Romance ones tend to be the best of 'em (with a few exceptions of course: Rifleman, FC #785).

I have a raw copy of the Love Lessons bought as nm/m. The cover blurbs are outrageous (:

Rita Hayworth is referenced a lot on these Boards for look a like model covers of the photo, line, and painted variety. But how about an actual Hayworth 'glam' cover? Beat but complete. Her other cover later in the run (a war themed cover) features Miss Hayworth with shorter locks and not as dolled up. That's actor Glen Ford with her on the cover (Pa Kent from 'Superman '78').

The issue features a four page biography with text and pictures of her life to that point. There's also a great headlight splash that was so good it was reworked for issue #12 of the series.

Great Lover Romances #10.jpg

20180521_100631.jpg

20180521_100706.jpg

Edited by sagii

32 minutes ago, sagii said:

Glen Ford with her on the cover

My fave movie with Glenn Ford is Cimmaron (1960). Loved it as a kid and weirdly ended living in Oklahoma years later.

Thanks for the interior shots.

14 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

My fave movie with Glenn Ford is Cimmaron (1960). Loved it as a kid and weirdly ended living in Oklahoma years later.

Thanks, and NP sir! 

4 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Gilda, starring Glenn and Rita, is probably my favorite of his.  I don't know if that was the only film they co-starred in. 

3 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I bid on it … but I was too cheap :cry:

It would be interesting to put each -script line to the final product and see how it all ended up.  

2 hours ago, JvR11 said:

Very cool.  I would have bid on it if I had seen it.