• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

When people say "the TMNT 9.6 is the cooler book" which part of that do they most mean?

I suspect the 9.6 meh

for 30-smoething year olds TMNT does hold a special little place in our hearts, and considing the rarity of the book, and the further rarity in that high a grade yes, having something that rare, but still with significant popularity (though I will cede that Spidey has FAR more popularity) and desirability that was a cornerstone to the Copper age (which many of us grew up in).

the collector/investor in me wants the AF15

the 13 year old in me still wants a TMNT1

and if there was no risk, why not enjoy indulging that 13 year old voice every now and then?

When people say "the TMNT 9.6 is the cooler book" which part of that do they most mean?

I suspect the 9.6 meh

for 30-smoething year olds TMNT does hold a special little place in our hearts, and considing the rarity of the book, and the further rarity in that high a grade yes, having something that rare, but still with significant popularity (though I will cede that Spidey has FAR more popularity) and desirability that was a cornerstone to the Copper age (which many of us grew up in).

and if there was no risk, why not enjoy indulging that 13 year old voice every now and then?

Well said! :)

#3 book in the hobby vs. #1 Copper Book in HG.

No contest, the AF15.

+1

These two books shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

On the one hand, you have a timeless, iconic character that's in the same league as Batman and Superman in terms of pop cultural awareness, and impact on the entire hobby, in a million dollar book in a comparable grade (9.6), regardless of how many "under copies" of it exist on the census.

And on the other, you have a fad book that has been over valued for a very long time, featuring novelty characters from the '80s that should have gone out along with Garbage Pail Kids. But hey, if you like your Turtles, more power to you.

No contest there at all.

AF 15 all the way baby. (thumbs u

-J.

No contest, the AF15.

+1

On the one hand, you have a timeless, iconic character that's in the same league as Batman and Superman in terms of pop cultural awareness, and impact on the entire hobby, in a million dollar book in a comparable grade (9.6), regardless of how many "under copies" of it exist on the census.

And on the other, you have a fad book that has been over valued for a very long time, featuring novelty characters from the '80s that should have gone out along with Garbage Pail Kids. But hey, if you like your Turtles, more power to you.

No contest there at all.

-J.

In the 80's Spider-man was a fad.

TMNT #1 is the AF 15 of the Copper-Age.

It ain't going down anytime soon.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

No contest, the AF15.

+1

No contest there at all.

-J.

"Copper Age"..... the most reviled age of comic books. What's your point?

-J.

I suspect the 9.6 meh

Well said! :)

Very Well Said!

I know others have said similar things, but I think TMNT 1 in 9.6 could easily hold it's own or surpass AF 15 in 4.0 in value. Like AF 15, TMNT 1 isn't a comic - it is a franchise. Four movies, toys, games, cartoons, merchandise out the wazoo.

Counterfeits and the fact it is black & white held back the value for a long time. But CGC can weed out the counterfeits and black and white comic books - at least the really good ones - have established themselves as legitimate collectibles.

Based on GPA sales, the person getting the AF15 came out ahead - today - by maybe a grand.

No contest, the AF15.

+1

No contest there at all.

-J.

-J.

lol

No contest, the AF15.

+1

No contest there at all.

-J.

-J.

That is what Golden Age generation said about the Silver age generation of books.

My point is don't make uneducated remarks about books that are obviously not fads.

If someone offered both to me...

I would happily take the AF15 in 4.0.

No Marvel chipping right?

Very little. ;)

I will say this when I put it up for sale (TMNT #1 CGC 9.6) I had more PM's wanting the book than any other book I have ever sold on the boards.

AF 15 was the only book I would have traded the book for instead of taking the cash.

An awful lot of what I collect rules and what you collect sucks in this thread.

apparently.

I know a lot of collectors who love all Marvel Keys, except AF 15.

If I was hardcore turtles fan I would trade my AF 15 4.0 for a TMNT #1 9.6 in 2 seconds.

However I happen to be a huge Spider-man fan so of course you know my vote.

No contest, the AF15.

+1

No contest there at all.

-J.

-J.

That is what Golden Age generation said about the Silver age generation of books.

My point is don't be such a tool bag.

I'm a copper age Gen X'er and I can be unbiased and say how bad that age of book is, and be objective about it without being a tool bag. If the Turtles is the best of the CA, then all that does is tell you how horrible the CA really is.

-J.

If someone offered both to me...

I would happily take the AF15 in 4.0.

No Marvel chipping right?

Very little. ;)

I will say this when I put it up for sale (TMNT #1 CGC 9.6) I had more PM's wanting the book than any other book I have ever sold on the boards.

AF 15 was the only book I would have traded the book for instead of taking the cash.

Congrats! Cannot wait to see a scan.

I agree with the fact Turtles will not go down in value. In fact the relative scarcity will ensure it either maintains it's current valuation or continues to climb. It is all about supply and demand.

The spider-man comics and cartoons helped propel web head into popular culture well before the Turtles started becoming part of popular culture. Although I do agree that Spider-man has the largest appeal among popular culture, the Turtles have been making headway for decades.

I had an AF #15 and sold it back in 2005. Although it stings selling AF #15 it was worth it as the money was used to put a down payment on my house. Guess which book I held onto during this down payment purge as I knew it would be more difficult to buy down the road? You guessed it; the TMNT #1 is the book I decided to hold onto over the AF #15.

I will in time find another AF #15, but the Turtles book I will not need to worry about locating anytime soon. Eventually demand will outstrip supply and when TMNT #1 is hoarded in private collections good luck finding a copy in year’s time.