• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this-there is a slight chance I have an unread TMNT in one of my long boxes-I vaugely remember my LCS urging me to buy it and I think I did just to shut him up but never read it.

one of these days I'm gonna go looking through my boxes....

That's so odd - there's a slight chance I have a mid-grade AF #15 in one of my long-boxes. One of these days I'm totally going to go digging for it, but, you know, it's not like I'm in a rush or anything - oddly enough I always seem to have better things to do than spend a little bit of time looking for a $10k comic book that I may or may not own.

All kidding aside, I'd take the TMNT #1 over the AF #15 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I dont need the money right now, if it's there it'll always be there and it's a longshot....so I'm not super motivated to go diggin

Even though the TMNT #1 first print run is low, a lot of people are going to be content with the second of third print since they look 99% identical and are all released within just a few months of each other.

the big diff there is the subsequent printings AREN'T the 1st app of the turtles. Huge difference

the ACTUAL first appearance of them turtles would be the first book that came off the printing press...

a whole 'nother business for CGC-standing by the press and grabbing/slabbing the first book to come off the press...

Stan lee right there to sign it....

I was thinking about this-there is a slight chance I have an unread TMNT in one of my long boxes-I vaugely remember my LCS urging me to buy it and I think I did just to shut him up but never read it.

The book is magazine sized... if it's in a regular comic long box... that's a pity.

Even though the TMNT #1 first print run is low, a lot of people are going to be content with the second of third print since they look 99% identical and are all released within just a few months of each other.

the big diff there is the subsequent printings AREN'T the 1st app of the turtles. Huge difference

Yeah plus the third print you can tell from a mile away due to the weak reds. And there are 35000 of them for cripe's sake.

The second printings are more true and still rare @ 6000 copies. Good substitute if you are going to go for one, although obviously its not quite the real deal either.

Love to see the poll broken out by the age of the answerer….

FYI for what it is worth:

Google hit results

Deadpool = 6.12M

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = 21.6M

Wolverine = 24.3M

Spiderman = 31.4

Superman = 71M

Batman = 151M

Captain America = 306M

Walking Dead = 444M

:idea:

Walking Dead 1 is clearly the book that is going to be worth the most money someday and everyone should be selling their TMNT 1s, AF 15s and even AC 1s for multiple copies!

:ohnoez:

My contention is that no one in here has any idea what they are talking about.

:eek:

In that time your AF 15 would have tripled in value. The Turtles book might have gone up 50%. Values on it have actually dropped on it in that time a bit here and there. Just sayin...

-J.

To be a great predictor of values you simply have to see what the future may potentially hold for certain books. Yes in the last 10 years AF#15 has been the best investment.

However, taking supply vs. demand into the equation I would take TMNT#1 over AF#15 simply for the fact I can find AF#15 more easily than TMNT#1.

I would bet that in time TMNT #1 will shoot up in value just like AF #15 simply for the fact there are less books available for TMNT#1 and the turtles are imbedded into popular culture.

I will be able to get another AF #15 in another 10 year time while more people will hoard TMNT#1 and it will become more difficult to locate. When one is located it will be at premium prices for sure. Simple supply versus demand in play here.

I know many people will disagree but within the next 5-10 years I can see low to mid grade TMNT 1 copies reaching the kind of money low to mid grade AF 15 copies are selling for today. I cant see AF 15 going too much higher in price then it is now in 5-10 years.

Edited by rabidwolf

I know many people will disagree but within the next 5-10 years I can see low to mid grade TMNT 1 copies reaching the kind of money low to mid grade AF 15 copies are selling for today. I cant see AF 15 going too much higher in price then it is now in 5-10 years.

5-10 years from now this will still apply to your post.

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d9491.gif

I know many people will disagree but within the next 5-10 years I can see low to mid grade TMNT 1 copies reaching the kind of m :roflmao: oney low to mid grade AF 15 copies are selling for today. I cant see AF 15 going too much higher in price then it is now in 5-10 years.

5-10 years from now this will still apply to your post.

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d9491.gif

+1. :roflmao:

-J.

I was 10yrs old in 1993...my pops used to read me Spider-Man comics as a kid...he is my favorite superhero of all time and always will be...in the same token the TMNT were ALL my friends and my favorite toys and cartoons!!! we had TMNT EVERTHING!!! our bday parties were always turtles and we dressed up as them for holloween lol from Bebop & Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, MutagenMan, Antrax, Krang and his Android body, the list goes on and on and on of all the cool stuff!!! I see kids nowadays who ROCK both Spiderman and TMNT gear!!! it puts a smile on my face everytime knowing the stuff I love and grew up with is prolly gonna be cool when my son turns 10...I am gonna read him Spiderman and buy him all the cool TMNT gear!!! both books are supercool and both parties should be Extremely pleased!!!! well played on both sides guys (thumbs u congrats

That's so odd - there's a slight chance I have a mid-grade AF #15 in one of my long-boxes. One of these days I'm totally going to go digging for it, but, you know, it's not like I'm in a rush or anything - oddly enough I always seem to have better things to do than spend a little bit of time looking for a $10k comic book that I may or may not own.

All kidding aside, I'd take the TMNT #1 over the AF #15 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

In my 7+ years on the boards, this is the first time I've ever disagreed with something you've written!!

Not taking anything away from TMNT tho.

I was 10yrs old in 1993...my pops used to read me Spider-Man comics as a kid...he is my favorite superhero of all time and always will be...in the same token the TMNT were ALL my friends and my favorite toys and cartoons!!! we had TMNT EVERTHING!!! our bday parties were always turtles and we dressed up as them for holloween lol from Bebop & Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, MutagenMan, Antrax, Krang and his Android body, the list goes on and on and on of all the cool stuff!!! I see kids nowadays who ROCK both Spiderman and TMNT gear!!! it puts a smile on my face everytime knowing the stuff I love and grew up with is prolly gonna be cool when my son turns 10...I am gonna read him Spiderman and buy him all the cool TMNT gear!!! both books are supercool and both parties should be Extremely pleased!!!! well played on both sides guys (thumbs u congrats

Good post.

I was 15 in 1983...

spiderman_crying_zps71d55d6a.gif

I grew up with the turtles as well, however when you think of spiderman, you think of comics, when you think of tmnt , the last thing you think of is comics (figures,toys would come 1st)... With that said, Of course supply and demand comes into play and being that there are so few tmnt 1s it will retain value, so you can't go wrong with a tmnt1

Now comes which one would I pick if I can only have one (af15 or tmnt1) , there isn't a question in my mind which I take .. And that's af15 and it's not close

My 2crantrant

10Damn punk kids. :preach:

10Damn punk kids. :preach:

lol I know I will get off the lawn now!!! hehe

@ Hulksdaddy1 - thanks man and you being 15 in 1983 is nothing to shed any spider tears over man it just proves how awesome this hobby really is doesn't it?!! it has no age limit...We can all appreciate it for what is...AWESOME!!! :headbang: just like the AF15 you got there (insert jealous look here) nice book man (thumbs u

and as I typed that up in the wee hours of the night on my phone I realized I didn't make my pick...+1 with GAMBIT...I want an AF15 badly!! I do see a lot of possible short term growth with the TMNT book though with new film...as previously stated only time will tell about the long term sustainability but with the low print run and the high grade I would think this book is pretty safe...I would still take the AF15 though but I also got the spider blood coursing through my veins when it comes to funny books so I am biased to say the least...

@ Hulksdaddy1 - thanks man and you being 15 in 1983 is nothing to shed any spider tears over man it just proves how awesome this hobby really is doesn't it?!! it has no age limit...We can all appreciate it for what is...AWESOME!!! :headbang: just like the AF15 you got there (insert jealous look here) nice book man (thumbs u

and as I typed that up in the wee hours of the night on my phone I realized I didn't make my pick...+1 with GAMBIT...I want an AF15 badly!! I do see a lot of possible short term growth with the TMNT book though with new film...as previously stated only time will tell about the long term sustainability but with the low print run and the high grade I would think this book is pretty safe...I would still take the AF15 though but I also got the spider blood coursing through my veins when it comes to funny books so I am biased to say the least...

First of all dude, every time I blink your signature line grows with awesome books. Congrats!

:applause:

:signofftopic:

Now, to the point, after reading your post (among others) I get the following feeling:

Owning an AF 15 is equal parts awesome and collective nostalgia (i.e. almost everyone on the boards would love to own such an important piece of heroic history). If you can own one, you should.

Owning a TMNT 1 first print is equal parts speculative investment opportunity and some disagreement on nostalgia (i.e. the number of boardies who connect with the turtles on a deeper level is smaller than that of Spidey himself). If you like the turtles and can own one, you should.

When you get into investment opportunity comparison, it is inextricably tied to relative nostalgia (i.e. personal opinion, or opinion combined with some level of understanding of current market penetration), so it really is hard to have an objective conversation or debate. Logically, both books will climb in value over time but really aren't comparable beyond that.

Soooooo…… Buy both!

(thumbs u

Edited by rfoiii