• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

Even though the TMNT #1 first print run is low, a lot of people are going to be content with the second of third print since they look 99% identical and are all released within just a few months of each other.

No one is really satisfied with second or third prints unless they already have the first.

They settle for second and third. It's a valid alternative, but a hollow victory. :foryou:

Even though the TMNT #1 first print run is low, a lot of people are going to be content with the second of third print since they look 99% identical and are all released within just a few months of each other.

No one is really satisfied with second or third prints unless they already have the first.

They settle for second and third. It's a valid alternative, but a hollow victory. :foryou:

Agreed. It's like having the GRR of a Marvel grail. They're about the right age, they look nice, but somehow they just don't quite satisfy like the real thing.

I happen to own both these books, in grades that puts them at about equal market value. I can tell you personally my Turtles 1 is one of only 2 untouchables in my collection (barring upgrade), while I could foresee myself selling the AF15 some day. I think the 9.6 Turtles 1 will be worth more than the 4.0 AF15 in 10 years, but maybe not in 50 years. There are just so few of that book available, especially at that grade or higher. I can always buy an AF15 if I had the cash, but there have been times in the recent past where finding a 9.6 Turtles 1 hasn't been possible. Basically, most folks who were 10 years old in the 60s and 70s are going to take the AF15 every time, and kids from the 80s and 90s are going to take the Turtles. We won't know what the milennial kids will do until they have the money to do it, but my money would be on the Turtles long term (though AF15 is certainly a safe investment).

I was 10 years old in the 1990's and there's no question which book I'd enjoy more...

AF #15 eights days a week.

That's why I said "most folks."

Book has arrived... a quick photo before being moved to the vault. :cloud9:

CGC96TMNT_all3.jpg

Just an FYI... anyone who might work with Spiderman-on-Tilt in the future on deals... this was a great one for me.

Perfect transaction - kudos to SOT... (and I also posted as much in his kudos thread). :applause:

I happen to own both these books, in grades that puts them at about equal market value. I can tell you personally my Turtles 1 is one of only 2 untouchables in my collection (barring upgrade), while I could foresee myself selling the AF15 some day. I think the 9.6 Turtles 1 will be worth more than the 4.0 AF15 in 10 years, but maybe not in 50 years. There are just so few of that book available, especially at that grade or higher. I can always buy an AF15 if I had the cash, but there have been times in the recent past where finding a 9.6 Turtles 1 hasn't been possible. Basically, most folks who were 10 years old in the 60s and 70s are going to take the AF15 every time, and kids from the 80s and 90s are going to take the Turtles. We won't know what the milennial kids will do until they have the money to do it, but my money would be on the Turtles long term (though AF15 is certainly a safe investment).

I was 10 years old in the 1990's and there's no question which book I'd enjoy more...

It's probably nowhere near "most". Spider-Man is insanely popular across kids of all decades. Nostalgia has little to do with when a character made their first appearance.

It's probably nowhere near "most". Spider-Man is insanely popular across kids of all decades. Nostalgia has little to do with when a character made their first appearance.

Your opinion is tainted by your spider love.

Your opinion is tainted by your spider love.

I actually voted for the TMNT in the poll, because I think it has more room to climb. But I don't agree that "most" kids born in the '80s or '90s would take the TMNT just because it's a copper key.

I would probably choose AF15.

Valiantman, did you make sure that your TMNT #1 is the real first printing and not the second? I had read a thread somewhere about someone who paid a lot for a first print but it really wasnt. Just double checking!

I would probably choose AF15.

Valiantman, did you make sure that your TMNT #1 is the real first printing and not the second? I had read a thread somewhere about someone who paid a lot for a first print but it really wasnt. Just double checking!

I spend hours researching before I bought the copy and got it graded.

It met every check list, and had CGC look at is prior to grading for verification.

I sent him the Gobby ad pictures I took as well as Dover, NH picture as well.

I'm satisfied in both Spiderman-on-Tilt's research and my own.

Unless someone knows some reason that my TMNT1 and the first printing 9.6 label should not be together... I'll say they were meant for each other. :luhv:

I'm satisfied in both Spiderman-on-Tilt's research and my own.

Unless someone knows some reason that my TMNT1 and the first printing 9.6 label should not be together... I'll say they were meant for each other. :luhv:

Easy decision to trade Copy A when I still have Copy B to get graded. ;)

Trade for a 3rd AF 15....... hm

33108842-d19f-4cec-95ef-5781b3c6c968_zps18ddbf88.jpg

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I was thinking about this-there is a slight chance I have an unread TMNT in one of my long boxes-I vaugely remember my LCS urging me to buy it and I think I did just to shut him up but never read it.

one of these days I'm gonna go looking through my boxes....

I was thinking about this-there is a slight chance I have an unread TMNT in one of my long boxes-I vaugely remember my LCS urging me to buy it and I think I did just to shut him up but never read it.

umm yeah that might be a good idea. :baiting:

Start digging!

That's so odd - there's a slight chance I have a mid-grade AF #15 in one of my long-boxes. One of these days I'm totally going to go digging for it, but, you know, it's not like I'm in a rush or anything - oddly enough I always seem to have better things to do than spend a little bit of time looking for a $10k comic book that I may or may not own.

All kidding aside, I'd take the TMNT #1 over the AF #15 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hey, if you cut down on just 20% of your posts here, I calculate you'll be able to go through every box you own.

Just' sayin'...

That's so odd - there's a slight chance I have a mid-grade AF #15 in one of my long-boxes. One of these days I'm totally going to go digging for it, but, you know, it's not like I'm in a rush or anything - oddly enough I always seem to have better things to do than spend a little bit of time looking for a $10k comic book that I may or may not own.

:roflmao: John,you and Valiant did just awesome,great trade for the both of you. :applause: