• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not sure television has ever been better

157 posts in this topic

I was a little late to the True Detective party. Finally caught up last weekend. HOLY mess. It's amazing. I cannot say enough good things about McConaughey. It's hard to believe this is the same guy that was starring in "Failure to Launch" eight years ago.

I've just watched the first 2 episodes after hearing the reviews and it's got some good things going for it like the acting, characterization and cinematography, but it has to be the slowest thing I've ever seen.

There were 30 seconds of serial killer and 2 hours of them talking....

Keep watching.

+1

Episode 4...nuff' said

Also, I think TV was better when we had Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire (a couple of seasons at least) and Seinfeld.

They ALL stand above anything around today.

...indeed

Also, I think TV was better when we had Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire (a couple of seasons at least) and Seinfeld.

I watched Sopranos and the Shield, and they are awesome, but Game of Thrones and True Detective are in their class IMO

Those were the Fugazi, Minor Threat and Black Flag of the TV industry. All pushed the barriers and paved the way for network (mainstream) television to put shows like Hanibal and the Following on the air, as well as channels like AMC to take the chance on Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead.

I watched Sopranos and the Shield, and they are awesome, but Game of Thrones and True Detective are in their class IMO

^^

Yeah the late 70's early 80's were the best for TV (well at least kid friendly TV)...

Incredible Hulk

Charlie's Angels

Wonder Woman :luhv:

Dukes of Hazzard

A-Team

Knight Rider

The Jeffersons

Muppet Show

Good Times

Sanford and Son

M*A*S*H

Miami Vice

I'll take the 60's into the 70's

Gilligan's Island

Rifleman

Perry Mason

Man from UNCLE

Rat Patrol

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeannie

Flintstones

Ed Sullivan

Andy Griffith

Hogan's Heroes

Perry Mason

Ironside

Van Dyke

Carol Burnett

Get Smart

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Maverick

The Twilight Zone

The Outer Limits

Sea Hunt

12 O'Clock High

Dragnet

Bonanza

Gunsmoke

Batman

Green Hornet

60 Minutes started

Mission Impossible

Beverly Hillbillies

The Big Valley

Rawhide

Lost in Space

Adam 12

Route 66

The Avengers

Combat

Gomer Pyle

Lassie

Daniel Boone

Wild Wild West

Addams Family

Munsters

The Fugitive

Mr. Ed

That Girl

McHale's Navy

The Saint

Mannix

Mod Squad

The Monkees

The Untouchables

and a ton of other shows.

Half the movies of the 90s- to present are based on these shows.

Great shows BUT Breaking Bad stands above any other crime drama. Close second for the Sopranos

Game of Thrones is also truly unique

Person of Interest. Started a few years ago as some cool innocent action show but turned into more. It's one of my handful of don't miss shows. I tell people they are going to binge watch this show one day!

Great shows BUT Breaking Bad stands above any other crime drama. Close second for the Sopranos

The Sopranos is generally regarded as the greatest TV drama ever made...

I thought Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena & Blood And Sand were great fun and John Hannah as Batiatus was showing the potential to be the best tv villain since JR Ewing.

Unfortunately, it all went very wrong after they killed him off......

The Sopranos is generally regarded as the greatest TV drama ever made...

It is, with Breaking Bad and The Wire close behind.

Also great series:-

House Of Cards

The Bridge (Swedish / Danish crime drama)

Boardwalk Empire

How could I forget Boardwalk Empire. doh!

The final scene of the last series was some of the most powerful and moving TV i've seen. Anyone that didn't have a lump in their throat watching that has got something wrong with them.

Person of Interest. Started a few years ago as some cool innocent action show but turned into more. It's one of my handful of don't miss shows. I tell people they are going to binge watch this show one day!

I really liked that show - it kind of fell off the wayside for me because I got out of sync with it. Glad to hear it's doing well - I really liked the cast.

Speaking of - anyone ever watch The Chicago Way? I was a huge fan and couldn't believe Fox cancelled it's first season. I still miss it.