• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not sure television has ever been better

157 posts in this topic

It seems like what is considered "great" TV these days has to be focused on stories about horrific death, serial killers, terrorists, or other similarly ugly topics. I said the following in another thread, I know we are not going to go back to the days of Bewitched and Dragnet, but it would be nice to have more of a balance

That is pretty much what our world is about - but these shows create interesting and compelling characters that are able to overcome those horrific topics. (well, maybe not Dexter) Yes, it's dark, but it's reflective of where our society is at.

So if that's where our society is, do we also want TV shows about it? If it's in our face on the evening news do we also want it in our faces in our entertainment?

Given what's on TV these days, I guess we do.

I think we like to see people making epic struggles and win (even at great cost to themselves) because there are few larger-than-life heroes in the real world. But, an those struggles nowadays is much more complex and dark than it was 20 years ago.

Granted, not every show is an epic struggle - but the ones I watch seem to be, and I like them because deep down, I enjoy seeing people triumph over that.

Just this week:

This week's episode of SHIELD was one of the best yet, it's becoming one of my favorite shows.

The Arrow just keeps getting better and better.

Walking Dead...I hope this show goes on for years.

Vikings on History Channel was excellent this week, this is going to be an exiting season.

The Americans on FX, great cold war drama.

True Detectives on HBO is the best show you're not watching (if you're not watching it that is lol)

Lastly, I almost gave up on Revolution early this season, and I am glad I didn't.

You neglected to mention Hannibal (the best crime drama/thriller I've ever seen!) & Justify (wonderfully original characters). Throw in a little The Goldbergs for some levity.

My wife and I are hooked on Hannibal. We also are watching The Walking Dead, love Homeland. We were big Deadwood fans too.

Bates Motel!

This has turned out to be a terrific series. (thumbs u

My wife really enjoys this series...but I have only seen a handful of episodes.

I really enjoyed American Horror Story this season as well. Last season was atrocious though...in my opinion.

Also, I think TV was better when we had Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire (a couple of seasons at least) and Seinfeld.

They ALL stand above anything around today.

Great shows BUT Breaking Bad stands above any other crime drama. Close second for the Sopranos

Game of Thrones is also truly unique

The only recent series I'd rank up with those greats is Utopia.

Dark, compulsive and incredibly gripping series and co-incidentally with a comic book subject matter.

Many people seem to have missed it, but it was amazing.

I had mentioned in a thread a while ago that tv has effectively replaced reading modern comics for me over the last two years.

I used to have a decent pull list, and watched virtually no television. I quit new books, and discovered most of the shows mentioned in this thread and just watched them...some in binges, some weekly. It's way more satisfying actually than the modern stuff you pay a high price for and read inside of 4 minutes.

Also, I think TV was better when we had Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire (a couple of seasons at least) and Seinfeld.

Great shows BUT Breaking Bad stands above any other crime drama. Close second for the Sopranos

The Sopranos is generally regarded as the greatest TV drama ever made...

I think, in the long run, Breaking Bad will take that crown.

...I doubt it

The reason this is probably true is that it is a complete story with a conclusive ending not an ending brought about by ratings failure. Complete opposite as it was flying high at the end.

Yeah the late 70's early 80's were the best for TV (well at least kid friendly TV)...

Incredible Hulk

Charlie's Angels

Wonder Woman :luhv:

Dukes of Hazzard

A-Team

Knight Rider

The Jeffersons

Muppet Show

Good Times

Sanford and Son

M*A*S*H

Miami Vice

Don't forget

The Rockford Files

Kolchak The Night Stalker

Fall guy

Hart to Hart

Person of Interest. Started a few years ago as some cool innocent action show but turned into more. It's one of my handful of don't miss shows. I tell people they are going to binge watch this show one day!

I really liked that show - it kind of fell off the wayside for me because I got out of sync with it. Glad to hear it's doing well - I really liked the cast.

Speaking of - anyone ever watch The Chicago Way? I was a huge fan and couldn't believe Fox cancelled it's first season. I still miss it.

Do you mean The Chicago Code?

Anyone else watch Banshee ?

I thought it was a pretty good series and that flashback episode in the prison was intense.

:hi: Oh, yeah. (thumbs u Banshee is pure visceral fun.

You get a sense everyone involved is having a good time with it, the director, cast, writers, everybody. Top notch across the board.

I've had this conversation with a lot of people lately, but TV really has been outstanding lately. I think the big change has been the push be premium networks to put out quality shows. HBO has made, what many consider, some of the best shows in history. True Detective might be one of the best shows I've ever seen.

My wife and I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Falling Skies. The last season was sort of a let down, but I'd throw it out there.

Most of the other stuff mentioned in here I'd agree with.

Not for me. I like them both, but Sopranos was considerably better in my opinion.

I will say the ending of Breaking Bad was far superior to the end of the Sopranos.