• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not sure television has ever been better

157 posts in this topic

The Americans, Justified, Better Call Saul, Mad Men (when it returns), Always Sunny...- that's it for me

3 of these five are my favorites. The other two are on my list of things I should watch.

I was a little late to the True Detective party. Finally caught up last weekend. HOLY mess. It's amazing. I cannot say enough good things about McConaughey. It's hard to believe this is the same guy that was starring in "Failure to Launch" eight years ago.

Need to see True Detective. But.....when you have an actor that says things like this:

"It's not about hugging trees. Or being wasteful either. Just gotta find that balance"

Then I get a little turned off by what a tool he sounds like and don't wanna watch anything he makes. I kinda don't take anything that insufficiently_thoughtful_person says serious. :facepalm:

There sure are some good cable shows now but what ever happened to classic network TV? Great shows, all different with characters you liked. I'm kinda happy to be a geezer sometimes...

Munsters

Batman

Hogan's Heroes

Beverly Hillbillies

McHales' Navy

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

The Addams Family

The Twlight Zone

Gilligan's Island

Star Trek

Man from Uncle

Mash

Roseanne

Signfeld Show

The Americans, Justified, Better Call Saul, Mad Men (when it returns), Always Sunny...- that's it for me

3 of these five are my favorites. The other two are on my list of things I should watch.

hard to justify watching more TV when it's 70 and sunny in the middle of Feb ;)

There sure are some good cable shows now but what ever happened to classic network TV? Great shows, all different with characters you liked. I'm kinda happy to be a geezer sometimes...

Munsters

Batman

Hogan's Heroes

Beverly Hillbillies

McHales' Navy

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

The Addams Family

The Twlight Zone

Gilligan's Island

Star Trek

Man from Uncle

Mash

Roseanne

Signfeld Show

Most of those can be found on

METV

COZI TV

(thumbs u

I think it was the TV show LOST and 24 that demonstrated that network television could be just as good if not better than what was on HBO.

True Detective though, IS the best thing on TV right now.

by a wide margin

It definitely was. Not sure anything has come out after to top it.

Games of Thrones Season 4 Finale reached that great level.

:cloud9:

House of Cards on Netflix

AoS (got surprisingly good after a really awful first season)

Agent Carter

Flash

Sleepy Hollow (which might be the most bat**** crazy show I've ever watched)

Person of Interest (which might be the BEST show I've ever watched on a week-to-week basis)

There's some excellent TV out there if you know where to look.

I liked the Blacklist during season 1, but the first bit of season 2 bored me so badly that I gave up. Might be a better binge-watch netflix show. I'll probably try it again when it hits Netflix (I did the same with Season 1 and enjoyed it as a result)

Yes, television has never been better, but can you even call it television anymore. (shrug) You can thank the cable, and streaming programing for creating an eviroment where all venues generate great shows. Without the Sopranos, would you have gotten Breaking Bad?

Top 3 shows ended

Breaking Bad

Fringe (no mentioned that yet, one of the greatest scifi TV series imo)

Lost

Fringe was amazing. I loved that show. I binge-watched it again recently. And LOST as well.

My favorites:

House of Cards

Game of Thrones

True Detective

Madmen

Hell on Wheels

Walking Dead

Gone but not forgotten:

The Sopranos (the show that started the modern renaissance in television, in my opinion)

The Wire

Deadwood

As a gothic horror fan I thoroughly enjoyed Penny Dreadful and look forward to season 2.

On netflix I've enjoyed Peaky Blinders (Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy are hardcore). It's a great British gangster period piece; early 20th century.

Also on netflix is the anthology series, Black Mirror. Think creepy not too distant future technological thriller Twilight Zone. Only 6 episodes in 2 seasons; and Peggy Carter has a go in one of the creepier episodes.

Lots of good tv out there now!

Munsters

Batman

Hogan's Heroes

Beverly Hillbillies

McHales' Navy

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

The Addams Family

The Twlight Zone

Gilligan's Island

Star Trek

Man from Uncle

Mash

Roseanne

Signfeld Show

There's still good network shows, in my opinion anyway, but they all seem to be hour long dramas. The half hour sitcom is a dying breed it seems. There's some fauxumentary style comedies that everyone seems to love but I honestly haven't watched them. I don't have cable and watch maybe 8 hours of tv a week through Hulu and Netflix and so on.