• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

I could be wrong but those links don't go into detail on pressing. I only scanned them, I could be mistaken. I'm liking this new pressing thread.

I think he was being a smarty by saying there was a lot of opportunity to give people information in those threads but nothing was decimated.

I could be wrong but those links don't go into detail on pressing. I only scanned them, I could be mistaken. I'm liking this new pressing thread.

I think he was being a smarty by saying there was a lot of opportunity to give people information in those threads but nothing was decimated.

My bad..........I mean no harm. Carry on with the details of pressing...please

I found this a few months ago when I was looking to educate myself on comic book pressing:

http://comicpressing.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/pressing-tutorial/

Only thing the article doesn't touch on is adding humidity, but ZaCrew discussed/shared two different methods.

A CGC 1.8 to a PGX 4.0

means very little to me.

PGX is a pale comparison to CGC, IMHO.

great post though...

DM me address for a "Thank you package"

Any valuable additions to this thread get one...

+1 also, this guy must have Bill Gates money if he's practicing his pressing on an Avengers 1.

Yeah soo...

One of my customers/friends just generously offered to produce a professional quality video for me, FREE of charge.

I'll spend a few thousand dollars on equipment, take all of your input & produce a nice little video detailing how moderns can be pressed effectively.

I'm focusing on taking a 9.4 & turning it into a 9.8 candidate.

I'm simply a monkey eating my own poo...

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

The arrogant & covert will be swept away.

Many of you are intimidated by the 'old guard", a group that learned to press right here on this forum & now guard their techniques with intimidation tactics.

I'll post them & keep you in the clear...

You're correct. No one likes sharing any information about their triumphs and failures regarding pressing or what they use etc.

This thread is indeed different.... So far.

Coprophagist.

-slym

Many of you are intimidated by the 'old guard", a group that learned to press right here on this forum & now guard their techniques with intimidation tactics.

100% correct.

I too have been sent intimidating Pm's when I dared to speak out about a known presser on these here boards or ask simple questions.

Pressing secrets are more closely guarded than national security secrets... It's crazy.

Pressing secrets have even been compared to the Coca Cola recipe on these boards.... Really?

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

When you say " Old Guard" I guess you mean the people who joined these forums years ago and became aware of the pressing and then started doing it themselves?

I consider the " Old Guard" the people who have been manipulating ( pressing and dry cleaning ) comics since the 70's . Pressing books using a dry mount press has been around for 4 decades now.

The main reason pressing has been so secretive is simply because of two factors.

1.) You can take certain books with certain defects and take them from 6.0's to 8's and 9's if you know what you are looking for. There is A LOT of money involed here. We are not talking about moderns , think mid grade 5k books being turned into high grade 15k books, with 20 minutes of work.

2.) It really is quite an easy thing to do ( pressing Comics ) A little common sense, and practice and I bet 25% of the population could do it with ease. As long as they are shown how to do it. That's the trick right Larry? Everyone wants to hush it up.

The mad money is made finding the pre-70's books with the right " Flaws" and competition for these type books increase everytime someone makes a post about pressing. Thats why people get so much heck for posting.

The steady stream of income is from pressing moderns. They dont want that to go away either. That is scary part. Given the proper information, most people on these forums could do it. It's not like these " Pro pressers" went to school for 10 years learning how to do this, it's not brain surgery. They figured it out with inside information and some practice.

I was like you once larry and got curious, Its pretty much what you think. Not.Much.To.It. I just stopped tinkering around because with kids, wife, work I dont have the time.

Good luck on your Crusade larry. At the very least I should get some entertainment out of it.

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

When you say " Old Guard" I guess you mean the people who joined these forums years ago and became aware of the pressing and then started doing it themselves?

I consider the " Old Guard" the people who have been manipulating ( pressing and dry cleaning ) comics since the 70's . Pressing books using a dry mount press has been around for 4 decades now.

The main reason pressing has been so secretive is simply because of two factors.

1.) You can take certain books with certain defects and take them from 6.0's to 8's and 9's if you know what you are looking for. There is A LOT of money involed here. We are not talking about moderns , think mid grade 5k books being turned into high grade 15k books, with 20 minutes of work.

2.) It really is quite an easy thing to do ( pressing Comics ) A little common sense, and practice and I bet 25% of the population could do it with ease. As long as they are shown how to do it. That's the trick right Larry? Everyone wants to hush it up.

The mad money is made finding the pre-70's books with the right " Flaws" and competition for these type books increase everytime someone makes a post about pressing. Thats why people get so much heck for posting.

The steady stream of income is from pressing moderns. They dont want that to go away either. That is scary part. Given the proper information, most people on these forums could do it. It's not like these " Pro pressers" went to school for 10 years learning how to do this, it's not brain surgery. They figured it out with inside information and some practice.

I was like you once larry and got curious, Its pretty much what you think. Not.Much.To.It. I just stopped tinkering around because with kids, wife, work I dont have the time.

Good luck on your Crusade larry. At the very least I should get some entertainment out of it.

*shrug*

Crusade?

I operate a 25 year old retail comic shop.

It's a natural extension of my business, no?

It's interesting reading nonetheless

I'm ALWAYS at least interesting....

Now is the time to act.

If you have ANY experience / knowledge pressing, post here or DM me.

Word on the street is that "insiders" want to derail the thread & have it locked.

Don't be baited.

If two posters get into an obvious staged "confrontation."

Take note. They closed the thread,

One thing many people don't realize is that moderns can be dry cleaned as well to fix printing scuffs and minor ink transfers from shipment.

I know I was able to make quite a few Nowhere Men covers into 9.8s that would have gotten 9.6 and 9.4 due to scuffs.

Just curious, what is the equipment cost to start?

If you just want to press yourself for your own personal collection (modern), is it even worth the cost to buy the equipment? Modern that probably nobody care, not worth money for resell and sometime just not worth the money to send in for professionals to do it and not sure if it'll grade out at 9.8. What's your thoughts?

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

*shrug*

Crusade?

I operate a 25 year old retail comic shop.

It's a natural extension of my business, no?

Crusade? IMHO Yes. Attemping to out, once and for all ,one of the more secretive aspects of comic collecting and knowing you will run into major resistance, is a crusade of sorts in my book. You admit to this resistance in many posts.

No, I dont think pressing is a natural extention of a comic book retail shop. That is not to say its strange, or unreasonable for you to end up interested in it. I just dont think its a natural progression, even after 25 years. You are a little different than most retail comic shop owners, and I think you know that Larry.

Im actually behind you on this, and I hope you find what you are looking for. You will get the basic concept fast, its the little things that they keep in the dark and clutch tightly, that is what you need to press ( pun!) for.

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

Good post, pressing, like many other things, I can do myself. However, at the prices that Joey and CCS charge, I see no point in doing it myself. I'd rather spend my time buying collections and digging treasures out of dollar boxes and send them off to the pros. Pressing can be tedious work, especially with spine ticks. They deliver the books directly to CGC so there's no risk of shipping damage after the press. Also, they are insured and I am not. It might be nice for some people but it's not my bag baby.

Coprophagist.

-slym

True dat...

Good post, pressing, like many other things, I can do myself. However, at the prices that Joey and CCS charge, I see no point in doing it myself. I'd rather spend my time buying collections and digging treasures out of dollar boxes and send them off to the pros. Pressing can be tedious work, especially with spine ticks. They deliver the books directly to CGC so there's no risk of shipping damage after the press. Also, they are insured and I am not. It might be nice for some people but it's not my bag baby.

Everything you said is very true Mike. You make good points. Im not at all against these guys, especially Joey whom from everything ive seen is a good guy. Ive just never liked the nastiness that arises when the word pressing comes up.