• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

I don't see anything wrong with learning some of the tricks of pressing, color touch up and how people trim books.

This is scary.

:facepalm: just pull out what works for you (thumbs u

If you read on it will say for the purpose of knowing so I don't get taken.

You are right. I wouldn't mind learning how to do it. I know there is a difference between spotting resto and actually doing it. My mistake, I thought you wanted to learn how to spot it, not do it. Wait...

I don't see anything wrong with learning some of the tricks of pressing, color touch up and how people trim books.

This is scary.

:facepalm: just pull out what works for you (thumbs u

If you read on it will say for the purpose of knowing so I don't get taken.

You are right.

Thank you now we are getting somewhere.....apology accepted lol

Finally a post that is actually educational and not damaging.

I have no dog in this fight and I've only heard good things about you, but why didn't you offer this sort of information to begin with?

I've never seen anyone be so transparent about pressing. Personally, I think that is the entire fear of the process. There is this little close knit group that seems afraid to share the secret for whatever reason. Why though?

If this is the same Larry I believe it is, I understand. However, I think it'd be great to see someone be honest instead of only having the infidel video on pressing available.

Why would any business person offer up the knowledge behind their services for free?

To be transparent about their practice. If I wanted to remodel my house, it isn't like the contractors are going to do things in secret. The same can be said for the guy fixing my car. Heck my mechanic always explains to me how he is going to fix my truck.

Heck even restaurants will show you how they make something. They might not show you the secret ingredient, but they'll show you the steps.

Put in How To for almost anything in the world and you'll find countless websites, videos, and tutorials. Put in How to Press comics and you get the infidel video.

Go to a mechanic and ask them to show you how to do it for free so you can go home and do it yourself and see how they react.

A lot of it may be the same as secret ingredients. Anyone with common sense can turn on the stove and cook. Some of it may be alright, but don't expect a master chef to give up secrets to his success especially when it may cut into his own business or the information may end up in the hands of a competitor.

Or try remodel your house without having the proper permits or insurance. Then try to sell your house after the professional job you did on it. I think mike Holmes has a tv show about amateur contractors a house up and he, a professional, has to fix it.

My father was a plumber for 50 years and always said that people who used the "Time / Life fix-it-yourself books" then had to call him afterwards essentially paid for his Corvette and his Harley

Yea my wife has been person_without_enough_empathying at me to do something in the bathroom. I've insisted time and time again that plumbing is more difficult than she thinks and if I break something it'll cost a fortune. We have an old house. She finally decided to do it herself. She turned the water off, put the wrench on the pipe, and realized she was going to break something.

I'm not sure what my point is though…

I have no idea what any of the arguments are.

Chefs, plumbers, contracters all make money because they are good at what they do.

Comic pressing is something people can learn and share information about however they choose to.They can do what they want with their comics with varying levels of success. If they offer it as a service then see above.

I can still understand why the topic is going to generate a lot of friction though on these boards.

I'm still waiting to see these threatening PMs.

I think take I'll take the high road Chump, er... Chumplestilsken.

I've never had any interest in restoration. I'm pretty good at spotting it.

Pressing intrigues me because its NOT restoration.

Pressing comics is an expansive field.

I'm focusing on the easiest sector, the one most important to my business right now.

Pressing a modern 9.4 to a 9.8 candidate.

I gotta tell ya, after just a couple days, It doesn't seem like rocket science.

I'm glad some folks are enjoying my trial & errors.

I can't lie, I like it that it's annoying people too.

After I perfect my technique I'm dubbing it the "Short Bus Method"

pBM4ixul.jpg

I've never had any interest in restoration. I'm pretty good at spotting it.

Pressing intrigues me because its NOT restoration.

Pressing comics is an expansive field.

I'm focusing on the easiest sector, the one most important to my business right now.

Pressing a modern 9.4 to a 9.8 candidate.

I'm glad some folks are enjoying my trial & errors.

I can't lie, I like it that it's annoying people too.

After I perfect my technique I'm dubbing it the "Short Bus Method"

pBM4ixul.jpg

:roflmao:

Would imagine the moderns with bends and creases are going to be formulaic. Anything more involved certainly would be interesting but also really narow your choices based on what is actually worth your time doing if the simple stuff alone has a 15 min cooldown.

Would imagine the moderns with bends and creases are going to be formulaic. Anything more involved certainly would be interesting but also really narow your choices based on what is actually worth your time doing if the simple stuff alone has a 15 min cooldown.

We worked all day.

You can do other stuff while to book is in the press.

:)

Depends... For example I bought a Superman MoS #18 5th print on Ebay that had a lot of cosmetic problems, one quick press and it was a 9.8. Not bad for $36

Regarding the cool down.

I recommend (based upon non-expert opinion) going to Lowes and buying a box of floor tiles with a glass-like surface. Don't leave it in the press because you're taking (wasting) 15 minutes on the cool down. Put the book between the tiles and put something heavy on it for the "cold press."

This will save you time. Once again, not an expert at all and I recommend using a pro for pricier books. I agree with the plumber analogy.... Just because you know how to do something doesn't make you great at it. Everything is learnable though.

2c

Regarding the cool down.

I recommend (based upon non-expert opinion) going to Lowes and buying a box of floor tiles with a glass-like surface. Don't leave it in the press because you're taking (wasting) 15 minutes on the cool down. Put the book between the tiles and put something heavy on it for the "cold press."

This will save you time. Once again, not an expert at all and I recommend using a pro for pricier books. I agree with the plumber analogy.... Just because you know how to do something doesn't make you great at it. Everything is learnable though.

2c

And please post pics of your successes and your failures. Only fair.

I think the plumber/mechanic analogy don't quite work. It is very true that most people can't do these things because of it being an expertise and takes training. But we are talking about pressing here. Not something that takes years of on the job training to become proficient at. Also these are in most cases quite unappealing and difficult labor for most.

I know how to replace my radiator or brakes, but I would MUCH rather pay somebody else to do it.

Regarding the cool down.

2c

And please post pics of your successes and your failures. Only fair.

lol

Once again......... My "non-expert," just hanging around and chatting, opinion

Regarding the cool down.

This will save you time. Once again, not an expert at all and I recommend using a pro for pricier books.

2c

I wouldn't do this. Just let it stay in the press as it cools.

Any loss of pressure while the comic is hot will 'ruin' the press and add a curl to the pages what will need to only be repressed again.

I personally like to let my press cool to room temperature just to be thorough.

Regarding the cool down.

This will save you time. Once again, not an expert at all and I recommend using a pro for pricier books.

2c

I wouldn't do this. Just let it stay in the press as it cools.

Any loss of pressure while the comic is hot will 'ruin' the press and add a curl to the pages what will need to only be repressed again.

I personally like to let my press cool to room temperature just to be thorough.

See.... I have no idea what I'm talking about lol

Just to be clear, did you just call me a Chump, tough guy?

Internet tough guys are the best.