• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Actually this will now reopen the flood gates for the TORCR wave. (Trimmed-Only Restored Crack and Resub) CGC is probably going to make another mint on all the resubs. sales for trimmed only restored comics will spike as everyone attempts to cash in on the inconsistencies.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking.

Genuine question, how can one "detect" trimming? And if you detect it, can you prove it?

Tape, glue, missing pages, color breaks, married pages, writing, rust, whatever "defect" can be pretty easily identifiable.

How is trimming detected?

You ask a Higher Being.

But they are notoriously temperamental and moody.

If trim is detected by measurement did they get new rulers or something?

IF TRIM IS NOT 100% PROVABLE IT SHOULD BE NO TRIM. You can't 'go with your gut' on something like this.

Actually this will now reopen the flood gates for the TORCR wave. (Trimmed-Only Restored Crack and Resub) CGC is probably going to make another mint on all the resubs. sales for trimmed only restored comics will spike as everyone attempts to cash in on the inconsistencies.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking.

True, but the only ones making money off the gimmick will be those that can spot undetectable trimming. The rest will probably buy trimmed books that will always come back trimmed.

Maybe it is a new policy, take the higher grade purple or opt for the one grade drop for the trim plus a PQ hit but get a blue label.

Trimmed books always get a Purple label

This is why we need the sarcasm emoticon. I guess I could have used the :jokealert: but I hate that one.

:sorry:

This news has me flustered.

Me too. :foryou:

Maybe it is a new policy, take the higher grade purple or opt for the one grade drop for the trim plus a PQ hit but get a blue label.

This is why we need the sarcasm emoticon. I guess I could have used the :jokealert: but I hate that one.

I would say I was flustered when I read the first thread. It was a big mistake, but IIRC the original cracked book was an older submission so I could accept the fact maybe they got better at detecting trimming. Reading this thread I can't even begin to describe what it makes me think.

There is also the fact that the book was 2 grades different on the resub which is never a good thing.

I would say I was flustered when I read the first thread. It was a big mistake, but IIRC the original cracked book was an older submission so I could accept the fact maybe they got better at detecting trimming. Reading this thread I can't even begin to describe what it makes me think.

There is also the fact that the book was 2 grades different on the resub which is never a good thing.

Yes, this is 100 times the black eye that the first thread was. Maybe more.

As for the difference in grade, I think it was originally a 6.0, so it isn't a surprise to see that number in the corner. I thought it overgraded as a 7.0 and frankly don't love it as a 6.0, but that is small potatoes.

You're paying for an opinion. That's it.

Why do you think CGC spells "guarantee" incorrectly.

Tape, color touch, missing pages, spine wear, none of that is 'opinion'. The grade it receives might be opinion but claiming a physical defect that is not there is WRONG. If you're not sure if it's trimmed and you have scrutinized it, even if you 'think' it's trimmed, it should get no trim verdict. Trim is the one thing that you have to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Genuine question, how can one "detect" trimming? And if you detect it, can you prove it?

Tape, glue, missing pages, color breaks, married pages, writing, rust, whatever "defect" can be pretty easily identifiable.

How is trimming detected?

I'll tell you how.......... Hire DD !

I've been saying it since CGC first started. Hire the man. Pay him $100,000 per year. (A high $$ to keep his nose clean till the day he dies). There is no one on the planet better at spotting trimmed comics than DD. He should know. He trimmed them. He has even spotted trimming from a scan. Ask Ewert.

As for the difference in grade, I think it was originally a 6.0, so it isn't a surprise to see that number in the corner. I thought it overgraded as a 7.0 and frankly don't love it as a 6.0, but that is small potatoes.

Looked a bit overgraded to me at 7.0 too. But whenever I see a high dollar book with that number flopping around that can affect the value by $1000's I cringe.

You're paying for an opinion. That's it.

Why do you think CGC spells "guarantee" incorrectly.

Tape, color touch, missing pages, spine wear, none of that is 'opinion'. The grade it receives might be opinion but claiming a physical defect that is not there is WRONG. If you're not sure if it's trimmed and you have scrutinized it, even if you 'think' it's trimmed, it should get no trim verdict. Trim is the one thing that you have to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's sarcasm! My point is that "guarantee" is spelled incorrectly for a reason.

Looked a bit overgraded to me at 7.0 too. But whenever I see a high dollar book with that number flopping around that can affect the value by $1000's I cringe.

It's much better to have the number flop around than the label color.