• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

You're paying for an opinion. That's it.

Why do you think CGC spells "guarantee" incorrectly.

Tape, color touch, missing pages, spine wear, none of that is 'opinion'. The grade it receives might be opinion but claiming a physical defect that is not there is WRONG. If you're not sure if it's trimmed and you have scrutinized it, even if you 'think' it's trimmed, it should get no trim verdict. Trim is the one thing that you have to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's sarcasm! My point is that "guarantee" is spelled incorrectly for a reason.

Right I got it. I knew the second part was sarcasm....

Smells like a set-up.

That's the 1st thing that crossed my mind.

So how does one set up this set-up? Invest a few thousand in a blue label hoping that it is a purple label upon a resub that you can then resubmit again and get a blue label? That seems like a very probable scenario.

And yes, that last sentence is sarcasm!

Edited by mysterio

Smells like a set-up.

So how does one set up this set-up? Invest a few thousand in a blue label hoping that it is a purple label that you can then resubmit and get a blue label? That seems like a very probable scenario.

More that Spider-Dan was pulling our collective leg :makepoint:

Smells like a set-up.

So how does one set up this set-up? Invest a few thousand in a blue label hoping that it is a purple label that you can then resubmit and get a blue label? That seems like a very probable scenario.

People pull more legs around here than a kid playing with bugs....

Smells like a set-up.

So how does one set up this set-up? Invest a few thousand in a blue label hoping that it is a purple label upon a resub that you can then resubmit again and get a blue label? That seems like a very probable scenario.

And yes, that last sentence is sarcasm!

Just add this little guy ' meh ' to the end of your statements from now on.

So now does CGC do something to compensate financially? I have to imagine that is a huge difference in value.

Its about a $2400.00 difference.

Between a restored 7.0 and blue label 6.0?

Smells like a set-up.

I guess, but who wants to effectively ruin their credibility pulling that sham on the same company's chat board that graded the books? It would be an easy one to disprove if you were CGC and this was all a farce designed to ding CGC's credibility. Dan seems to sell pretty regularly, so how would that benefit him in the short or long run in any way? I would think that having both his and CGC's credibility intact would help him sell more comics. Unless I missed something.

Smells like a set-up.

I guess, but who wants to effectively ruin their credibility pulling that sham on the same company's chat board that graded the books? It would be an easy one to disprove if you were CGC and this was all a farce designed to ding CGC's credibility. Dan seems to sell pretty regularly, so how would that benefit him in the short or long run in any way? I would think that having both his, and CGC's, credibility intact would help him sell more comics. Unless I missed something.

I think he meant the leg-pulling was claiming it was a scam.

I'm no CGC zombie but this is almost too good to be true for anti CGCers. Smells like a set-up.

The purple label 7.0 was graded before the blue label 6.0. Plus, why would anyone want to go to the expense for a setup? There's really nothing to be gained other than bad press and the CGC certainly doesn't need anyone's help in that regard.

Certification #: 0227546002

Title: Journey Into Mystery

Issue: 83

Issue Date: 8/62

Issue Year: 1962

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Grade: 7.0

Pedigree: COVER TRIMMED

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Label Text: TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

Grade Date: 02/14/2014

Category: Apparent

Art Comments: Stan Lee story

Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko art

Jack Kirby cover

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Thor

(Doctor Don Blake).

Certification #: 0230667003

Title: Journey Into Mystery

Issue: 83

Issue Date: 8/62

Issue Year: 1962

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Grade: 6.0

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE

Grade Date: 03/27/2014

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Stan Lee story

Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko art

Jack Kirby cover

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Thor

(Doctor Don Blake).

Smells like a set-up.

I guess, but who wants to effectively ruin their credibility pulling that sham on the same company's chat board that graded the books? It would be an easy one to disprove if you were CGC and this was all a farce designed to ding CGC's credibility. Dan seems to sell pretty regularly, so how would that benefit him in the short or long run in any way? I would think that having both his, and CGC's, credibility intact would help him sell more comics. Unless I missed something.

Good grief doh!

Think of it in terms of an April Fools joke.

This is really messed up. I'm honestly shocked.

As far as CGC's response, my first question will be how can you 100% prove it was the same book. On such an EPIC screw up, I think they may go to the denial defense. Not the same book, never happened, etc. I really feel for you, for "everyone" to look at it and swear it was trimmed and now it's magically not, :insane:

I'm dying to know their response. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you will be happy by the outcome, and I'm not seeing one. Sorry brother, godspeed! :foryou: