• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I'm dying to know their response. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you will be happy by the outcome, and I'm not seeing one. Sorry brother, godspeed! :foryou:

To late to make me happy about it.

I'll be happy if the buyer re-sells it and makes a nice healthy profit.

This is really messed up. I'm honestly shocked.

As far as CGC's response, my first question will be how can you 100% prove it was the same book. On such an EPIC screw up, I think they may go to the denial defense. Not the same book, never happened, etc. I really feel for you, for "everyone" to look at it and swear it was trimmed and now it's magically not, :insane:

I'm dying to know their response. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you will be happy by the outcome, and I'm not seeing one. Sorry brother, godspeed! :foryou:

That spine crease provides so many unique points of similarity it simply has to be the same book. I don't see how they could deny it.

Can you tell us if the buyer was a high volume submitter/dealer?

I'm no CGC zombie but this is almost too good to be true for anti CGCers. Smells like a set-up.

The purple label 7.0 was graded before the blue label 6.0. Plus, why would anyone want to go to the expense for a setup? There's really nothing to be gained other than bad press and the CGC certainly doesn't need anyone's help in that regard.

Certification #: 0227546002

Title: Journey Into Mystery

Issue: 83

Issue Date: 8/62

Issue Year: 1962

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Grade: 7.0

Pedigree: COVER TRIMMED

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Label Text: TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED.

Grade Date: 02/14/2014

Category: Apparent

Art Comments: Stan Lee story

Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko art

Jack Kirby cover

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Thor

(Doctor Don Blake).

Certification #: 0230667003

Grade: 6.0

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE

Grade Date: 03/27/2014

Category: Universal

Jack Kirby cover

(Doctor Don Blake).

What really confuses me are the grade dates. Only several weeks apart. This book and all the hoopla had to be fresh in their memories. You'd have to be completely incompetent for not a single CGC employee to go, "Hey isn't this the comic we just had all the....."

And how did it get graded so quickly. If you factor in the shipping times from CGC to customer, customer sells it to next person, then customer shipsback to CGC... that has to take awhile. How did this book get graded so fast? Did someone pay for a walkthrough? (shrug)

So now does CGC do something to compensate financially? I have to imagine that is a huge difference in value.

Its about a $2400.00 difference.

Between a restored 7.0 and blue label 6.0?

I was talking about blue to blue.

The de facto loss was much greater then.

What really confuses me are the grade dates. Only several weeks apart. This book and all the hoopla had to be fresh in their memories. You'd have to be completely incompetent for not a single CGC employee to go, "Hey isn't this the comic we just had all the....."

You answered your own question.

I'm no CGC zombie but this is almost too good to be true for anti CGCers. Smells like a set-up.

The purple label 7.0 was graded before the blue label 6.0. Plus, why would anyone want to go to the expense for a setup? There's really nothing to be gained other than bad press and the CGC certainly doesn't need anyone's help in that regard.

Jack Kirby cover

(Doctor Don Blake).

Jack Kirby cover

(Doctor Don Blake).

And how did it get graded so quickly. If you factor in the shipping times from CGC to customer, customer sells it to next person, then customer shipsback to CGC... that has to take awhile. How did this book get graded so fast? Did someone pay for a walkthrough? (shrug)

+1

That spine crease has many unique aspects.

Jack Kirby cover

(Doctor Don Blake).

Jack Kirby cover

(Doctor Don Blake).

At that value, walk-thru is the only option

You answered your own question.

:o Say it ain't so, Joe!

The Grader's Notes are $15, so it was a walk through:

Introductory Fees for CGC Grader Notes:

Comics Submitted Under (Tier)... Dealer & Elite Fee.... Regular Fee

Economy, Value and Modern...... $4 ............................$5

Standard and Express............... $8 .................... $10

Walkthrough.............................. $12 .................. $15

I doubt anyone here will ever forget that book. Too bad the graders memory not so good. Do they even care about comics at all?

On the other hand, if they had remembered it it would have been unfairly called trimmed....maybe it's good they have short attention spans.....

Can you tell us if the buyer was a high volume submitter/dealer?

I'd like to know who walked this book thru CGC as well. hm

I'm a noob can someone tell me if this is cgc's biggest single fiasco? I know they had the Costanza scandal but I mean single book fiasco.

The Grader's Notes are $15, so it was a walk through:

Introductory Fees for CGC Grader Notes:

Comics Submitted Under (Tier) Dealer & Elite Fee Regular Fee

Economy, Value and Modern $4 $5

Standard and Express $8 $10

Walkthrough $12 $15

So it was a walk through. Getting special attention. Yet not a single employee at CGC recognized this book and it's recent issues? Sorry. Can't believe that. If true, then CGC has some serious splainin' to do.

Imagine some future perfect grading company using computer scan technology or something and ALL the CGC books have to be re submitted for an actual grade......

its funny how people act so surprised. I remember reading these boards years ago during the whole PGX vs CGC debates. As much as people like to talk about how PGX is "just some guy in his garage", CGC is still just "a bunch of guys"

people make mistakes, and there are TONS of things that scream unprofessional about the way CGC operates.

The real crime here, isnt that people missed trimming TWICE, since the books been subbed three times, and only came back purple once. It's the fact that they are so admant about not making things right or admitting the error the first time.

Until all graders notes are free and public, and the grading standards are available free and public, the whole thing is laughable.

They use the fact that everybody is making money, to fight off any need for accountability. They need to hire a lot more graders, hire a lot more software engineers (for the registry and this site), hire paid moderators for the board.

Then they might stop being "a bunch of guys" who rent a bigger garage, in a commercial area...

Edited by CBT