• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I'm a noob can someone tell me if this is cgc's biggest single fiasco? I know they had the Costanza scandal but I mean single book fiasco.

Better definition of fiasco needed

All they ever say is grading is subjective and humans make errors

I'm dying to know their response. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you will be happy by the outcome, and I'm not seeing one. Sorry brother, godspeed! :foryou:

To late to make me happy about it.

I'll be happy if the buyer re-sells it and makes a nice healthy profit.

Can you tell us if the buyer was a high volume submitter/dealer?

I'd like to know who walked this book thru CGC as well. hm

:popcorn:

The real crime here, isnt that people missed trimming TWICE, since the books been subbed three times, and only came back purple once. It's the fact that they are so admant about not making things right or admitting the error the first time.

I'm not sure it's been established that the book is actually trimmed or not. :insane:

Any company with deep pockets that wanted to take over this business like say Microsoft would crush them. Fiascos like this and the stone wall approach to criticism make them vulnerable to such a possibility. A company that used facial recognition type software would never not recognize a book that had come in before. There are just too many worms in the apple.

I'm dying to know their response. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where you will be happy by the outcome, and I'm not seeing one. Sorry brother, godspeed! :foryou:

To late to make me happy about it.

I'll be happy if the buyer re-sells it and makes a nice healthy profit.

Can you tell us if the buyer was a high volume submitter/dealer?

I'd like to know who walked this book thru CGC as well. hm

I'd like to see someone who knows all the players post some Vegas like odds here.

The real crime here, isnt that people missed trimming TWICE, since the books been subbed three times, and only came back purple once. It's the fact that they are so admant about not making things right or admitting the error the first time.

I'm not sure it's been established that the book is actually trimmed or not. :insane:

I'll bet ya DD could tell you for sure. In a heartbeat.

The problem is, you know CGC will try to get this book back to take another long look at it. If I was the new owner there is no way in heck I'd hand the book back, because I no longer have any faith that they know one way or the other.

[font:Book Antiqua]

To the OP:

This should be your new signature line:

"Harshen claimed everyone in the building with grading credibility looked at the book,

and EVERYONE agreed it was trimmed. He couldn't find anyone to disagree"[/font]

(thumbs u

The problem is, you know CGC will try to get this book back to take another long look at it. If I was the knew owner there is no way in heck I'd hand the book back, because I no longer have any faith that they know one way or the other.

No way I would send the book back-it's in their best interest to say, oh yeah, sorry-it IS trimmed.

I'm a noob can someone tell me if this is cgc's biggest single fiasco? I know they had the Costanza scandal but I mean single book fiasco.

Better definition of fiasco needed

All they ever say is grading is subjective and humans make errors

How about 'situation where EVERYONE looked at a book, made a determination that affected like 60% of its value, then shortly thereafter graded the book and came to a completely opposite determination'....And changed their analysis from blue label-purple label-back to blue label. Never even recognizing it was the same book.

Edited by kav

the same graders might not look at the same book. If they have 6-8 graders you may get a whole new set of eyes on the book. If history is any barometer - humans are no infallible.

But according to the OP, when it was sent it, it was shown to everyone. Also lets not forget that they have only a handful of graders, It would not have been possible for a whole new set of eyes to grade this unless they were a new hire, and I don't see CGC letting a new hire grade a book like this and it still had to pass through QC, but that's a whole other issue...

+1

that's what I'm thinking also

+1

that's what I'm thinking also

If this were a normal purple label that might be a fair point. But this book was heavily scrutinized, and apparently examined by EVERYONE at CGC, who unanimously agreed that it was trimmed. So that argument is more difficult to make than it otherwise would be if some random book had flipped label colors.

But yes, theoretically the purple label could have been the one that was incorrect. But if so CGC staked their reputation pretty hard on that determination and then went right back on it.

Edited by mysterio

The person that walked it through.... Could he/she have been close to the CGC employee(s)? Could he/she have misused their trusting relationship to tell CGC employees they've had it since forever and it has no resto? Could CGC just take his/her word for it? Could the person who walked it through somehow distracted them from noticing this was the same comic that had recent issues with it? I'm curious. Who did the walk through?