• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

EVERY book with good edges 'might be trimmed'. Every one. IMO trimming has too much stigma. If it's very very minor and basically undetectable it should be like pressing.

To some, but not to everyone. Then the Market can price it accordingly .

To the vast majority. Think about it. You see 2 different Hulk 181 9.2. One says"may be trimmed." The other doesn't. Which one would you want, and pay more for?

Think Dan Marino in the 1983 NFL Draft.

What next?

TMNT books that say "might be fake" on the label. :insane:

Might as well say "Don't buy me" on the label. lol

Even if there was a big hubbub surrounding it? I must have an incredible memory....

This is the only hubbub we know about. How many do they deal with in a day? To you, this is the end of the CGC world as we know it; to them, at the time, it could have been just one more book to check for a trim. We do not know how they reviewed the book when SD asked; we just know they said that every grader looked at it again. The context it was reviewed is unknown.

EVERY book with good edges 'might be trimmed'. Every one. IMO trimming has too much stigma. If it's very very minor and basically undetectable it should be like pressing.

Stop.

Even if there was a big hubbub surrounding it? I must have an incredible memory....

This is the only hubbub we know about. How many do they deal with in a day? To you, this is the end of the CGC world as we know it; to them, at the time, it could have been just one more book to check for a trim. We do not know how they reviewed the book when SD asked; we just know they said that every grader looked at it again. The context it was reviewed is unknown.

The guy said he walked around and had 'everyone' look at it. That must be fairly unusual otherwise if it happened every day they would have a name for it eg 'I did a walk-verification'.

Or something.

To some, but not to everyone. Then the Market can price it accordingly .

To the vast majority. Think about it. You see 2 different Hulk 181 9.2. One says"may be trimmed." The other doesn't. Which one would you want, and pay more for?

Think Dan Marino in the 1983 NFL Draft.

What next?

TMNT books that say "might be fake" on the label. :insane:

Might as well say "Don't buy me" on the label. lol

Naw. People play the CPR game. They will be glad to play the "maybe, just maybe, this time it will get a straight blue label" game.

People are greedy to the core. Hence why so many give their bank routing numbers to Nigerian Prince's.

Stop.

Positing 'a new type of trim that hasn't been detected yet' anything is possible.

Seeing as how all you :screwy: boardies have convicted CGC, you should gather your torches and pitchforks and head down to Sarasota.

This whole board/lemmings mentality is beyond dumb...I laugh at 95% of the posts in this thread....

:facepalm:

As someone who only sells CGC'd books on his website I'd say you're hardly unbiased.

Staus quo much?

Not the status quo...just a realistic approach to an unrealistic expectation.

The fact that people here expect perfection from an imperfect product is laughable.

The only thing I agree w/in this entire thread is that CGC has a responsibility to handle the situation correctly...and that's on them and only them. Its not the responsibility of this community to determine what they should or shouldn't do..and casting stones before all the information is available is not only ignorant, but shows true colors by many.

Take it for what you want...if a mistake was made, is it the end of the world? No...my power still comes on, my fridge still keeps my food cold and I still have a roof over my head..

Its shameful all these first world problems us comic collectors and dealer's have...

No one expects perfection. That's not the problem here.

Are you honestly gonna tell me that this major SA key, with distinctive faults that a stink was made about and was talked about and shown To everyone in the building with grading credibility wasn't recognized a month later when resubbed?

I don't believe that for a second

Here's the thing: when faced with multiples of something you don't really have a vested interest in; you forget about it. For example, I work in I.T. and users, unasked, give me their passwords all the time. :facepalm: I have trained myself to forget them, instantly; otherwise, I would literally have hundreds of useless passwords wondering around in my poor abused brain. Unless the book is a true rarity like Double-Action Comics, these graders probably forget the book before they even leave the building for the night.

That may be true however I doubt it considering the stink made over this book a month earlier and it's distinctive faults. What makes me REALLY doubt it was myself being flat out told my Avengers 4 was remembered MANY months later and WOULD be remembered if I tried another resub!

I 100% believe you and I would be very frustrated and pissed off if that had happened to me. Through your actions you may have made your AV #4 stick out, like a rare comic, in their mind. I do not know if SD did the same.

If you open that can of worms, this thread will never end. Someone might even point out that given the variance in production of older books it's possible for a trimmed book to have more "real estate" than an untrimmed copy that was chopped a bit narrowly at the printing plant.

If you open that can of worms, this thread will never end. Someone might even point out that given the variance in production of older books it's possible for a trimmed book to have more "real estate" than an untrimmed copy that was chopped a bit narrowly at the printing plant.

this is exactly what I'm getting at. Of all the resto possibilities, exceedingly well done trimming is the best case scenario. Because whether paper was cut at the plant or by some dude, if it looks exactly the same what does it matter? I AM OPENING THIS CAN OF WHOOP- UH....WORMS!

I have a serious question for everyone.

Suppose a legitimate competitor pops up tomorrow. Someone the hobby believes in with real backing.

Will those here pay more for books in those holders?

Will you frequent the sites that carry them primarily?

Will you immediately send your books in for grading at the new service?

What if your books will sell for less in a new company's holder?

What if the transparency were no greater at the new company?

Would people be willing to sell their books for less short term to help support the credibility of the new company?

Curious to hear people's responses

Didn't PSA have a monopoly on card grading at one time hm

They did, and then an obvious competitor in BGS started up. Obvious because they were behind the price guide Beckett. Overstreet would be the logical company to start a competitor. PSA is still number 1, but BGS is 1a. Then you have a few other companies that no one takes seriously.

Overstreet would be the perfect candidate, as most people use them for thier grading standards anyway

You mean like these standards where Overstreet adapted CGC standards?

146164.png.473aa2e8bf82f2d6c61095abf937dde0.png

I have a serious question for everyone.

Suppose a legitimate competitor pops up tomorrow. Someone the hobby believes in with real backing.

Will those here pay more for books in those holders?

Will you frequent the sites that carry them primarily?

Will you immediately send your books in for grading at the new service?

What if your books will sell for less in a new company's holder?

What if the transparency were no greater at the new company?

Would people be willing to sell their books for less short term to help support the credibility of the new company?

Curious to hear people's responses

Didn't PSA have a monopoly on card grading at one time hm

They did, and then an obvious competitor in BGS started up. Obvious because they were behind the price guide Beckett. Overstreet would be the logical company to start a competitor. PSA is still number 1, but BGS is 1a. Then you have a few other companies that no one takes seriously.

Overstreet would be the perfect candidate, as most people use them for thier grading standards anyway

You mean like these standards where Overstreet adapted CGC standards?

I don't think anyone is questioning CGC's standards. People are questioning their ability to consistently apply them.

this is exactly what I'm getting at. Of all the resto possibilities, exceedingly well done trimming is the best case scenario. Because whether paper was cut at the plant or by some dude, if it looks exactly the same what does it matter? I AM OPENING THIS CAN OF WHOOP- UH....WORMS!

Take a break, you really don't need to be a everyday of the week. (thumbs u

Kav's on the case....

Ok I don't think replacing staples should be bad either. Or tape, if it's well placed.

That was harsh.

Then you don't know Kav at all....

:baiting:

As I stated previously. If they are certain, then give it a "trimmed" label. But if they ain't sure. Then it gets blue. A reputable business model, IMO. If your doctor believes you are diabetic and need insulin, but is not sure. He better not tell you to start taking insulin.

He has to be certain you are diabetic before he prescribes insulin shots. Or he is in big trouble.

This is your answer! (thumbs u

That's all I'm saying. Why some people get their panties twisted is a mystery....and the quotes are all jacked up here-don't blame me

Then you don't know Kav at all....

:baiting:

NOOB....