• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

I walked away from the show feeling very luke warm. It was OK, but nothing really to write home about. They got the look of it right and the casting was great. Didn't get the sense anything was out of place. Just felt like an hour long setup for a larger film. No doubt the series in the long haul is what they're aiming for.

8PM on a Monday night. What else is on that is more entertaining? Usually I just watch WWE Smackdown, but was able to flick over after Gotham and get my fix. So what rivals this spot at this time. I'm curious to know what all the nay sayers are going to be watching next week.

I thought the writing was forced and stilted. Also, the cat lady was VERY deliberate and clunky. I thought it would have been funny if she fell off that tombstone.

Dan

I'm leaning towards agreeing with you. Felt forced and immature rather than slow and Gothic like it should have felt.

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great.

Also, from the WC:

I thought it was OK but I wonder why many of these shows all look and feel like 'made for TV shows' rather than that nice, polished 'movie look' that some shows have (Walking Dead series to mind).

I don't particularly like that 'made for TV' look and always have associated it with a lesser quality production.

Last night - I watched Gotham, and I thought the scene where the young Wayne with his dead parents on ground was bang on just like in comics. But the young Catwoman having witnessed it? That was an interesting twist...

Overall, the first episode was not bad. I'll see the next few episodes to get the feel of how this show will go.

I wonder when we will see the first sight of Batman making his first appearance? At the end of the first season or in middle of the run?

I was not expecting that much blood and cursing. But then again, without it you were in a world where everything was bright and fun, and everyone was joking with one another.

Gritty and rough is what the show needed. Better they focus on only a few characters per episode, though, or this is going to end up like Heroes with a massive amount of faces and names to get familiar with.

8PM on a Monday night. What else is on that is more entertaining? Usually I just watch WWE Smackdown, but was able to flick over after Gotham and get my fix. So what rivals this spot at this time. I'm curious to know what all the nay sayers are going to be watching next week.

lol- did you think that maybe, if nothing good is on, you could actually not watch TV and do something else with your time? You're talking as if TV is your only option and a forgone conclusion.

as an NFL fan I will watch Monday Night Football. Likely switch between Gotham and the game.

lol- did you think that maybe, if nothing good is on, you could actually not watch TV and do something else with your time? You're talking as if TV is your only option and a forgone conclusion.

as an NFL fan I will watch Monday Night Football. Likely switch between Gotham and the game.

My TV is always on at night when I get home. I live with my son (13) so there has to be somewhat agreeable balance of whats on. We actually enjoy a lot of the same TV, Movies, characters etc. It works for me. makes it easy being a good dad. Quality time thing. But while the TV is on, he is on the iPad playing games and I am on the computer all night long bouncing from site to site. I wasn't glued to Gotham, but got it. It wasn't all that gripping, but I wasn't going to miss it after all the hub bub about it. I play Ice Hockey 7 hrs per week so I am due my couch time

Bears fan so i watched the game. Why anyone would have to choose is beyond me with DVRs being able to record 6 things at the same time -- let alone on demand.

I watched it later-- it was a bit oddly paced but I will keep watching it. The cat seeing the murder was the biggest surprise for me as well. I wasn't a big fan of Arrow and gave up on it after 5 or 6 episodes (not a Green Arrow fan anyway). Stuck with SHIELD which is sometimes a little goofy for me is still entertaining.

How the two shows (SHIELD/Gotham) rolled out the characters is so opposite it is somewhat shocking to the system. I am giving it the benefit of the doubt. Haven't really seen anything amazing with Gotham yet though the cinematography is pretty well done.

I actually liked it which appears to be a somewhat minority opinion. Perhaps because I had such low expectations.

Myself included. I didn`t even think of Gotham, until board member Forbush-Man reminded it was on.

I think GOTHAM is probably is going to shake up the Batman mythos. Change can be scary. We shall see if this all plays out positive or negative with comic book fans. hm

I liked it, I knew if I wanted some negativity this would be the place to find it. No one's harder on the genre they supposedly love than comic nerds. If it's too close to the actual subject it's boring and predictable, if it strays it's blasphemy. Someone was actually complaining about Alfred's accent - really?

I wasn't expecting Breaking bad or True Detective but it had solid acting and nice visuals with interesting characters. I'll keep watching

I liked it, I knew if I wanted some negativity this would be the place to find it. No one's harder on the genre they supposedly love than comic nerds. If it's too close to the actual subject it's boring and predictable, if it strays it's blasphemy. Someone was actually complaining about Alfred's accent - really?

I wasn't expecting Breaking bad or True Detective but it had solid acting and nice visuals with interesting characters. I'll keep watching

I don't think people mind that it's straying from the source material. Most people are past that sort of thing. They are questioning the motivation for doing so but that's different than complaining.

But why can't it be as good as Breaking Bad? Shows of that caliber are the new benchmark.

The simple answer: Fox vs. AMC

AMC = :headbang:

Fox = meh

:bump:

I wasn't being a smart - I think AMC makes quality television series like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Madmen and The Killing.

Fox seems to fall short in comparison. Maybe that's just a matter of opinion, but it's almost like Fox overdoes things to the point where it loses something. I thought the scene with Gordon chasing Pepper was kind of goofy. The dramatic music and frantic camera shots took away from the scene and felt like a campy TV show rather than a good drama with a suspenseful moment.

The simple answer: Fox vs. AMC

AMC = :headbang:

Fox = meh

:bump:

I wasn't being a smart - I think AMC makes quality television series like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Madmen and The Killing.

Fox seems to fall short in comparison. Maybe that's just a matter of opinion, but it's almost like Fox overdoes things to the point where it loses something. I thought the scene with Gordon chasing Pepper was kind of goofy. The dramatic music and frantic camera shots took away from the scene and felt like a campy TV show rather than a good drama with a suspenseful moment.

That's funny. The go pro selfie angle during that scene was wacky. But, I and family enjoyed the show and will give it a go.

I thought it was pretty good. The acting felt a bit forced in the beginning, but I felt it got a bit better by the end. The cast is pretty solid, I think they will grow into the characters by mid season. Besides I have yet to see Donal Logue do a bad role (bring back Terriers!)

My biggest complaint was the forcing of all the villains into the pilot.