• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

Both are self explanatory and I agree with them.

The writing doesn't flow naturally. It isn't smooth and seamless. They seem like they are trying too hard to impress people by putting too much content into one show. Amateurish.

(shrug)

No they don't. They're using buzzwords. "clunky".... really?

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin says the meal tastes pedantic." It's a buzzword. It means nothing unless you expand upon it.

YOUR explanation is a lot better than saying things that are fairly vague and ambiguous.

Edit: peter also says the Godfather "insists upon itself." A ridiculously poor observation that is meaningless. Kind of like what some of the reviews here are like.

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

It`s going to be very interesting reading the reviews for the upcoming Constantine and the Flash TV shows. If this crowd is tough on Gotham,then I can imagine how they will be with Flash by the CW network. CW, a network known for it`s teen angst themes. :o I can`t wait for the fun reviews that will show up here for the Flash and Constantine shows. ;)

Not sure why you would have to wait on CGC forum critiques of Constantine and Flash, as both shows are out there available for viewing. I don't spend a lot of time in comics general so don't know if reviews for those have popped up here or not.

I liked Constantine better than Gotham but it was also forgettable. Even though I liked Gotham less there is a better chance of me going back to that and watching a clip of a new episode if a cool guest star from the comics appears. I won't be watching either show on the regular.

I didn't like Flash but as I'm a huge fan of the character and his supporting cast, I'll keep coming back to that one to check out the rogues gallery. If the rogues look halfway similar and have similar powers/weapons as in the comic then I'll at least check out the fight scenes. I think that guy in the pilot was supposed to be Weather Wizard, if they have the rogues that different from the books then I won't bother with that show for the most part.

I had to force myself to sit through Flash. Funny thing is that a week or two ago I read some snippets of the pilot -script and it was very well written, pretty funny in areas. I almost didn't realize I had already watched it. IMO it didn't translate to the screen as well as I would have hoped. If that keeps up I could see myself reading the scripts (if I could get my hands on them) and dropping the show.

I am not a torrent guy, as I rather watch my shows on a large HDTV screen, then download them onto a laptop or tablet screen to watch. A question is how are you viewing these shows? hm

Are you viewing these shows on a large screen or on a laptop or tablet screen?

I ask because I have a friend who doesn`t like the majority of anything. It turns out he was downloading everything onto his tablet that had a screen that was about 6 inches. Of course watching stuff like Godzilla,Transformers,Man of Steel,and Avengers is going to be a different experience on a large screen, then a small tablet screen. Just food for thought.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I think what got ugly here is we are talking about a pilot (one episode total), and some were making it sound like the entire series is a bust.

Pilots can be great. AMC has proven that.

Who said the entire series was a bust?

I think what got ugly here is we are talking about a pilot (one episode total), and some were making it sound like the entire series is a bust.

Roy, I get the feeling you are itching for something.

Itching for something = wanting something very badly

:baiting:

I'll let you go back through the two threads (WC and CG) and pick out those that said this series is not for them after the pilot. There are some that also felt 'Breaking Bad' is now the benchmark for hard-hitting TV series, and that this didn't match this benchmark.

Anything else? Let me know. Thanks.

I'll let you go back through the two threads (WC and CG) and pick out those that said this series is not for them after the pilot. There are some that also felt 'Breaking Bad' is now the benchmark for hard-hitting TV series, and that this didn't match this benchmark.

I'm not itching. You just keep speaking in hyperbole and making blanket statements that I think are inaccurate. (shrug)

Since you said some people thought the series was a bust I asked who those people were.

Reminds of how some people say they will never read or enjoy a comic book again because comics like Watchmen, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and The Dark Knight Returns set the benchmark. lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I'm not itching. You just keep speaking in hyperbole and making blanket statements that I think are inaccurate. (shrug)

Since you said some people thought the series was a bust I asked who those people were.

Hyperbole: 'Pilots can be great. AMC has proven that.'

Do you realize for the few huge successes AMC has had all the failed attempts this station has made? It's just easy to assume everything they touch is gold because the few shows that win are tremendously successful.

RUBICON: Was billed as being a huge buildup to a fantastic conspiracy series that had years of stories to tell. Cancelled in the first season.

LOW WINTER SUN: Remake of a very successful British show. Had a lot of buildup about how it was going to follow the same action-packed formula. Cancelled in the first season.

THE KILLING: After solving the crime that had helped the show get off the ground by the second season, there was nowhere to go. Cancelled by the second season.

If anything, I would say AMC is willing to take risks. And their pilots may catch your attention. But sustainability is what is going to make a show successful. AMC has stumbled with this, but knew enough to rip the band-aid off when needed.

Hyperbole: 'Pilots can be great. AMC has proven that.'

Do you realize for the few huge successes AMC has had all the failed attempts this station has made? It's just easy to assume everything they touch is gold because the few shows that win are tremendously successful.

doh!

I didn't say that everything AMC touches is gold. I was referencing the shows I'd mentioned previously so that I didn't have to type them out again. It was shorthand for WD, H on W and BB (which all happen to be on AMC). Mad Men too.

My point is that just because it's a pilot does not mean it shouldn't be good. Those other shows had terrific pilots. If a pilot doesn't grab you then the show is going to have a very hard time keeping the average Joe coming back for more.

Anyhow, like I said, I plan on giving the show a chance.

I'll just bow out of the discussion. I think I've made my points.

Both are self explanatory and I agree with them.

The writing doesn't flow naturally. It isn't smooth and seamless. They seem like they are trying too hard to impress people by putting too much content into one show. Amateurish.

(shrug)

No they don't. They're using buzzwords. "clunky".... really?

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin says the meal tastes pedantic." It's a buzzword. It means nothing unless you expand upon it.

YOUR explanation is a lot better than saying things that are fairly vague and ambiguous.

Edit: peter also says the Godfather "insists upon itself." A ridiculously poor observation that is meaningless. Kind of like what some of the reviews here are like.

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

It`s going to be very interesting reading the reviews for the upcoming Constantine and the Flash TV shows. If this crowd is tough on Gotham,then I can imagine how they will be with Flash by the CW network. CW, a network known for it`s teen angst themes. :o I can`t wait for the fun reviews that will show up here for the Flash and Constantine shows. ;)

Not sure why you would have to wait on CGC forum critiques of Constantine and Flash, as both shows are out there available for viewing. I don't spend a lot of time in comics general so don't know if reviews for those have popped up here or not.

I liked Constantine better than Gotham but it was also forgettable. Even though I liked Gotham less there is a better chance of me going back to that and watching a clip of a new episode if a cool guest star from the comics appears. I won't be watching either show on the regular.

I didn't like Flash but as I'm a huge fan of the character and his supporting cast, I'll keep coming back to that one to check out the rogues gallery. If the rogues look halfway similar and have similar powers/weapons as in the comic then I'll at least check out the fight scenes. I think that guy in the pilot was supposed to be Weather Wizard, if they have the rogues that different from the books then I won't bother with that show for the most part.

I had to force myself to sit through Flash. Funny thing is that a week or two ago I read some snippets of the pilot -script and it was very well written, pretty funny in areas. I almost didn't realize I had already watched it. IMO it didn't translate to the screen as well as I would have hoped. If that keeps up I could see myself reading the scripts (if I could get my hands on them) and dropping the show.

I am not a torrent guy, as I rather watch my shows on a large HDTV screen, then download them onto a laptop or tablet screen to watch. A question is how are you viewing these shows? hm

Are you viewing these shows on a large screen or on a laptop or tablet screen?

I ask because I have a friend who doesn`t like the majority of anything. It turns out he was downloading everything onto his tablet that had a screen that was about 6 inches. Of course watching stuff like Godzilla,Transformers,Man of Steel,and Avengers is going to be a different experience on a large screen, then a small tablet screen. Just food for thought.

You can watch torrents on your bigass TV. Most newer DVD players will play any format of video and have usb ports.

I have a streaming video android box hooked up to my TV so no downloading necessary. just search and watch ANYTHING you want, instantly. It's great, currently watching The Strain, even with the huge plot holes it's enjoyable. Nice to see vampires that don't fall in love with teenagers :)

I have not seen a single episode of Smallville but always assumed that it had nothing to do with the superhero angle so I assumed Gotham was the same.

Smallville was about becoming a superhero. It certainly had Clark learning and using his powers in every episode.

When a production company has to tell you, "but it's just the pilot..." you know they know it wasn't very good. It's the first fall back excuse on a crummy show.

Dan

I don't think Fox ever made an apology of some sort for the pilot, because as a launching pad it had 8 million viewers.

'Gotham' premieres strong while 'Big Bang Theory' explodes

There were some of us pointing out this is just the pilot. Give it a few episodes, and then see where you are with Gotham. It may end up not being everyone's cup of tea. Or, it may turn it around.

1st episode was a thumbs-down for me.

Tried hard to be hardcore, but it came off cheap.

Also, way too early to just kill the Waynes. There could have been tons of story with them alive and have the 1st season finale be the murder. I just hope they don't do too much flashback stuff like "Lost".

Not sure why they had to "reveal" every character and villian within the 1st 30 minutes of the shows existence.

Patrick

Looks like DVR numbers were higher than expected for this show.

TV Ratings: 'Gotham' Leads Premiere Week DVR Race, Reality Returns to Friday

------------------

And in many cases, there's good reason for that. The first round of live-plus-three day ratings (the tally of viewers watching a show the night it airs and/or any of the subsequent three following days) are in for the first premiere week of Monday. Jumping to to the head of the class is Fox's Gotham.

With a lift of 56 percent and 1.8 points in the key demo of adults 18-49, Gotham saw the biggest percentage surge of any show that night and the most raw growth of any show but The Big Bang Theory. Its 5.0 rating among adults under 50 now tops Scorpion (up 44 percent to a 4.6 rating) and The Blacklist (up 44 percent to a 4.9 rating).

------------------

Not sure why they had to "reveal" every character and villian within the 1st 30 minutes of the shows existence.

Patrick

I couldn't agree more with these statements; lack of creativity and really just trying to sell the product on established names rather than adding substance to it.

1st episode was a thumbs-down for me.

Also, way too early to just kill the Waynes. There could have been tons of story with them alive and have the 1st season finale be the murder. I just hope they don't do too much flashback stuff like "Lost".

Patrick

Give it time

I have nothing but faith in the show. The kid whom is playing Bruce is spot-on in what I would imagine a young Bruce Wayne to be. The Alfred character seems a bit stern and unnerving, but I'll give it time.

I think once the actors have some time to really get into the heads of their respective characters, the show will be great.