• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

Both are self explanatory and I agree with them.

The writing doesn't flow naturally. It isn't smooth and seamless. They seem like they are trying too hard to impress people by putting too much content into one show. Amateurish.

(shrug)

+1

+2. Very eloquent. Not forced or stilted at all.

Dan

The writing doesn't flow naturally. It isn't smooth and seamless. They seem like they are trying too hard to impress people by putting too much content into one show. Amateurish.

(shrug)

No they don't. They're using buzzwords. "clunky".... really?

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin says the meal tastes pedantic." It's a buzzword. It means nothing unless you expand upon it.

YOUR explanation is a lot better than saying things that are fairly vague and ambiguous.

Edit: peter also says the Godfather "insists upon itself." A ridiculously poor observation that is meaningless. Kind of like what some of the reviews here are like.

Edited by Erndog

Some in the Water Cooler thought the traditional Jim Gordon is supposed to be a marshmallow. Rent the animated 'Batman: Year One' and find out why the live show may be working towards following the same path as this.

I was finally able to pick up a copy of the Batman: Year One DVD. That is worth watching as well to give you a feel for who Gordon is, and how far he will go. And since everyone keeps bringing up 'Breaking Bad' when comparing this show to something, Bryan Cranston is the voice of Gordon. So hopefully that gives them some comfort.

Even how Gordon is treated in the video which makes him who he is later on is quite hard-hitting.

Having a group of fellows beat you down with bats would probably take you out of the picture permanently. Not Gordon.

And it may even appease those concerned with 'Breaking Bad' needing to be the mold for all TV shows now.

:foryou:

Ah, yes. Anti-intellectualism rears its PC head. Art evokes feelings, people use words to describe their feelings about art. Sorry these words were too juicy for yours and Family Guy's palate. Maybe badly written and poorly acted suit your fancy?

Dan

Edited by Dano

Ah, yes. Anti-intellectualism rears its PC head. Art evokes feelings, people use words to describe their feelings about art. Sorry these words were too juicy for yours and Family Guy's palate. Maybe badly written and poorly acted suit your fancy?

Dan

Those words weren't too juicy for me.

Dan

Then drink your fill, fine fellow, drink your fill.

Dan

Dan

Dan

Okay, I will. Thanks.

I enjoyed it for the most part. But I do agree that some of the dialog was a little ham fisted . Maybe they should change the title from GOTHAM to GOT HAM?

I will give it a few more episodes. I stuck with Agents of Shield and that really took off. As did Arrow.

Sometimes you have to wait for the writers/actors to settle into the roles.

Dan

Dan

Okay, I will. Thanks.

lol

(shrug)

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter Griffin says the meal tastes pedantic." It's a buzzword. It means nothing unless you expand upon it.

YOUR explanation is a lot better than saying things that are fairly vague and ambiguous.

Edit: peter also says the Godfather "insists upon itself." A ridiculously poor observation that is meaningless. Kind of like what some of the reviews here are like.

Buzzwords still have meanings. (shrug)

(shrug)

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

(shrug)

I would have to think a good portion of reviews on these boards went into the show with a negative attitude, making it hard to find anything likable in the pilot. Nerd culture is it's own worst enemy.

Actually, most nerds love nerd culture. But we're quick to punish the unworthy.

Dan

Some in the Water Cooler thought the traditional Jim Gordon is supposed to be a marshmallow.

Nobody said he was supposed to be a marshmallow. My words were "tough but soft". Marshmallows are not tough and soft.

And it may even appease those concerned with 'Breaking Bad' needing to be the mold for all TV shows now.

:foryou:

People don't need to appeased. Their feelings aren't hurt. :makepoint:

Breaking Bad is not the mold, it's the standard, as in standard of quality for television storytelling. So is Walking Dead (at least the 1st season was).

A few people feel that Gotham doesn't have the same level of quality as those AMC shows do and I tend to agree. From the first frame and the first episode, Walking Dead was gripping and engaging.

In comparison Gotham felt like a B 'made for TV' movie to me. It's not that I want it to fail. I'd love for it to be awesome and I'll still try to watch it and give it a few episodes before passing judgement but people can't help what they feel.

Why do you feel the need to defend the show so much (along with all other Movie and Television shows)?

Why would you assume that?

I went into the show knowing nothing about it. I didn't read any threads about it and I didn't watch any trailers. Nada. So I went into it entirely neutral.

In fact, I knew so little about the show I actually thought it had been on the air for quite some time already (because I saw the display in SD in July) so I was quite surprised to find out from the boards that it was premiering Monday night and I caught it and watched it with an open mind.

The only thing I could think about while watching was how it didnt' really engage me the way the 1st Walking Dead or the first Hell on Wheels episodes did. It was as simple as that. I wasn't engaged, even though I wanted to be.

Well I thought about that, and also how Jada Pinkett stole the show.

(shrug)

It`s going to be very interesting reading the reviews for the upcoming Constantine and the Flash TV shows. If this crowd is tough on Gotham,then I can imagine how they will be with Flash by the CW network. CW, a network known for it`s teen angst themes. :o I can`t wait for the fun reviews that will show up here for the Flash and Constantine shows. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur