• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

fantastic-four, let me see if i can explain the perhaps subtle distinction i see between saying a book was "restored to prior state" and it, in comic collectors' eyes, having "restoration."

play like i was geeking on that gorgeous ff 12 in your sig line when it was raw. i thoughtlessly did so while eating a butterfinger. a piece of chocolate landed on the book, melted slightly, and stuck there. you didn't want it there, so you used the edge of your fingernail to get under the dollop of chocolate, and popped it right off. it's original state was to have no little piece of chocolate adhered to it's cover. it then, briefly, had said defect. you "restored it to it's original condition" by removing it.

do you really think, that in the vernacular of our hobby, that you now have a "restored book?"

i don't

i would never presume to argue with a litigating attorney...ok, maybe not too often, after all i was raised by one;)

and I don't really care what anyone calls pressing (as long as they disclose it if known) ..however....

i think in previous examples, someone (maybe you) used sneezing and snot as the example...

so...if you used a body part to remove the chocolate, sneeze residue or whatever, i'd just find it yucky, maybe not restoration, just a side effect of reading a book;) ..but unless you are going to be sitting on the books for days bare butt naked, i'm not sure how you'd remove wrinkles without using other tools;)

once you add tools, it's another animal;)

:foryou:

I loved EE Cummings;) but it's hard on my eyes;)

I never thought I'd see Sharon posting the word snot. Purple snot yet.

I figured someone besides billy needed to have a sense of humor. No one noted my cement shoes reference, so I went further;)

Keep hanging around here and you'll be talking like a truck driver at the next ladies tea party

once you add tools, it's another animal;)

Tools are the single most daunting challenge facing the boards today.

Cut the head off one, and two more take his place. :eek:

So......

What does everyone think about CGC's comments regarding cover shrinking ? At least they acknowledge it.

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

Cover shrinkage is a common consequence of improper pressing. The actual shrinkage will vary depending on several factors — but, without intervention, any shrinkage can lower the book's overall grade.

Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved.

Common shrinkage ranges from 1/64 inch to 1/16 inch, and excessive shrinkage up to 1/8 inch. Because it is difficult or impossible to always tell whether shrinkage occurred naturally or from pressing, CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

So......

What does everyone think about CGC's comments regarding cover shrinking ? At least they acknowledge it.

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

Cover shrinkage is a common consequence of improper pressing. The actual shrinkage will vary depending on several factors — but, without intervention, any shrinkage can lower the book's overall grade.

Cover shrinkage can occur from excessive humidity or multiple pressings, causing the cover to shrink side to side. Silver Age Marvels, particularly between 1960 and 1968, are most susceptible due to the poor quality of printing used at that time. The amount of shrinkage varies depending on several factors, such as what month the book is from, how it was stored during its life and the extent of pressing it received. Shrinkage can also occur naturally over time with no pressing involved.

Common shrinkage ranges from 1/64 inch to 1/16 inch, and excessive shrinkage up to 1/8 inch. Because it is difficult or impossible to always tell whether shrinkage occurred naturally or from pressing, CGC will treat excessive shrinkage similar to a manufacturing defect and downgrade accordingly. In some cases, shrinkage can be minimized or corrected with a light pressing.

This message comes across as they've known about these issues for years and years. I've never heard about it until this thread was created.

Someone else was mentioning (in this thread) that shrinkage has been known about for a long time and basically saying the same thing as CGC here, that there is natural shrinkage, too.

Can someone explain to me how it naturally shrinks? I'm sorry to trouble whoever takes the time to respond.

Oh, and lastly, how could a light pressing take care of cover shrinkage, as CGC states? How could it possibly? ???

See? I thought Twerk was a verb, but you're using it as a noun, or maybe an adjective.

Folks around here are starting to use the word "schaub" as a verb for intending to do a good thing and having the worst possible opposite result.

So......

CGC Statement

Posted on 10/8/2013

This message comes across as they've known about these issues for years and years. I've never heard about it until this thread was created.

Someone else was mentioning (in this thread) that shrinkage has been known about for a long time and basically saying the same thing as CGC here, that there is natural shrinkage, too.

Can someone explain to me how it naturally shrinks? I'm sorry to trouble whoever takes the time to respond.

Oh, and lastly, how could a light pressing take care of cover shrinkage, as CGC states? How could it possibly? ???

You beat me to the punch but I think these questions should be reiterated. They are the first things I found odd when I saw the newsletter from CGC yesterday.

What does everyone think about CGC's comments regarding cover shrinking?

If you told me when this thread started that CGC's official response would be that they could fix the damage they caused by pressing by more pressing, I would have said: lol

jeff-spicoli-with-caption.jpg

What does everyone think about CGC's comments regarding cover shrinking?

If you told me when this thread started that CGC's official response would be that they could fix the damage they caused by pressing by more pressing, I would have said: lol

jeff-spicoli-with-caption.jpg

Well, if one surgeon botches an operation it's usually another surgeon who fixes the damage.

I would be very interested in knowing how a shrinkage caused by pressing can be reversed by pressing. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic.

If anyone (a least anyone who is qualified to actually know about the mechanics of pressing) can shine any light on this then I'd be very interested to hear.

I would be very interested in knowing how a shrinkage caused by pressing can be reversed by pressing. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic.

If anyone (a least anyone who is qualified to actually know about the mechanics of pressing) can shine any light on this then I'd be very interested to hear.

Too much light will fade the cover.

Too much light will fade the cover.

Don't worry, I'm sure a light press can fix fading as well. :thumbsup:

See? I thought Twerk was a verb, but you're using it as a noun, or maybe an adjective.

Folks around here are starting to use the word "schaub" as a verb for intending to do a good thing and having the worst possible opposite result.

Stay away from his house Richard. He didn't mean to throw those pick 6's week after week after week after week.

3 comic professionals. They each grab one side of the book and stretch it out.

Stay away from his house Richard. He didn't mean to throw those pick 6's week after week after week after week.

lol 4 "weeks", very nice!