• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

how did the ASM Costanza's do?

ASM #10 cgc 9.6...$7,600 (12 mo. GPA avg $9,500; n=1)

ASM #14 cgc 9.6...$16,500 (12 mo. GPA avg $21,500; n=2)

A scan of the 14 is posted earlier in the thread. Here is a scan of the 10. Excepting the right edge, it's gorgeous:

ASM10face.jpg

how did the ASM Costanza's do?

ASM #10 cgc 9.6...$7,600 (12 mo. GPA avg $9,500; n=1)

ASM #14 cgc 9.6...$16,500 (12 mo. GPA avg $21,500; n=2)

I wonder who was high bidder?

Does anybody agree that if I were Cole Schave I would not be happy that my collection is now considered a "Facejob". Not exactly what I would like my collection called.

And while there are nice books in the collection all that is being discussed are the "Facejobs".

Yes he has the $$$$ but I'm sure he was proud of his collection.

Does anyone agree with me that the more embarrassing thing for me would be having Schmell associated with my books?

So after all that, the J.I.M. #88 9.6 sold for only $600 more than it last did as a 9.4 ($6,100 to $5,500).

I believe that Facejob's and Constanza's should both be downgraded by CGC as bad press jobs. This would also de-incentivize people from ruining such amazing books.

I'll ask again as no-one responded to me previously, and in case I've missed something. Do we know for sure who pressed these books ?

Do we know for sure who pressed these books ?

I’m not an expert on paper, but if I were to fold a piece of paper (original spine) and then use a dry mount press to remove that original fold, I would think that the original fold could still be visible even as a faint line. To get a book near 200 degrees 90% humidity makes me think that their press is in a fish tank with jets of steam shooting in from all sides.

This also taints all of the fanned page books out there that were originally produced that way as taboo and suspect. I assume ALL books I buy are pressed. The market has already adjusted for it. Now it’s just a game to pick out the ones that were under graded for a resubmit. A spine realignment is cheating the system and not trying to actually improve the quality of the book.

I don't really have a horse in this race, I don't play with the kinds of budgets that allow me to spend the kind of scratch they get for these ultra high-grade comics. Still I find it kind of weird after years of pressing comics that now we learn (as a result of the cole slaw books) that the covers are subject to shrinking as a result of pressing. What is weird is how we never heard this until now.

I don't really have a horse in this race, I don't play with the kinds of budgets that allow me to spend the kind of scratch they get for these ultra high-grade comics. Still I find it kind of weird after years of pressing comics that now we learn (as a result of the cole slaw books) that the covers are subject to shrinking as a result of pressing. What is weird is how we never heard this until now.

The problem is that it appears as if they are doing it to mid grade books too...