• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

I'm not saying don't consider it at all, and when dealing with the very high grades, I understand that the lack of flaws, front, back or inside are what garners the 9.6 and up grades, but maybe I'm old school, and think eye-appeal should count for something. Just as I may be more forgiving of a crease, stain or dirt on the back cover than on the front, I am mystified by the some of the higher grades given to books with obvious front cover tanning, dust shadow and foxing issues.

Back cover margins also tend to be white, making it difficult to judge if a crease would be color-breaking if it had shown up on the front. For me, it still makes a difference wether a crease breaks color or not - I think CGC hands out too many 6.5/7.0 grades for books with roughly 1" color breaking creases.

I actually have an initial formula for ballparking a grade when the back cover is noticeably worse than the front: (BC grade + 2xFC grade) /3 = grade ( rounded down to nearest usable numeric grade)

It's not perfect and doesn't really work if there is too much variance, but it frequently suffices. Conversely, I don't add anything for a back cover that is pristine when the front cover isn't.

With all respect, I'd be surprised if many actually treats back and front covers exactly the same. For arguments sake let's say there are a maximum number of flaws one would consider viable for a given grade, and they are all on the front cover of a book. A second copy has half as many front cover flaws, but half as many +1 on the back cover. Is that copy really going to grade lower?

As for the nature of flaws, we already know that following CGCs example, that not all flaws are the same. A 3" production crease has far less effect on the grade than one created after distribution.

Prior to CGC, I treated a crease as a crease when grading, and graded otherwise high grade books as mid grade if they had a large production crease. I haven't had the opportunity to slab such books, but if i sold them raw today, I would at least qualify the grade as I'm not comfortable calling a book anywhere near straight up NM with production creases.

With all respect, I'd be surprised if many actually treats back and front covers exactly the same. For arguments sake let's say there are a maximum number of flaws one would consider viable for a given grade, and they are all on the front cover of a book. A second copy has half as many front cover flaws, but half as many +1 on the back cover. Is that copy really going to grade lower?

It should, yes. Doesn't mean that it can't be priced higher. Doesn't mean it won't sell faster. But if it has more defects, it should grade lower.

No company is ever perfect, regardless if it's CGC or not. Some people really have no life outside of comics which is why they notice these things as well as "keeping tabs on the seller" Ok, keeping tabs on the seller for what purpose? To prove what? The greater good of the CGC collecting community? If that's the case Your voice is falling on deaf ears because as daffy duck once said "One man cannot make a difference" The comic collecting market doesn't start with CGC forum member #1 and ends with the last guy who signs up. Fanned pages weather it's an 8.5 or a 9.2, Only YOU have the power to walk away from the deal. It's just a comic guys, there are other Avengers #1's you can buy instead of this one.

I have to disagree on that point. This forum is made up of individuals and it has had a huge positive impact on my collecting.

No company is ever perfect, regardless if it's CGC or not. Some people really have no life outside of comics which is why they notice these things as well as "keeping tabs on the seller" Ok, keeping tabs on the seller for what purpose? To prove what? The greater good of the CGC collecting community? If that's the case Your voice is falling on deaf ears because as daffy duck once said "One man cannot make a difference" The comic collecting market doesn't start with CGC forum member #1 and ends with the last guy who signs up. Fanned pages weather it's an 8.5 or a 9.2, Only YOU have the power to walk away from the deal. It's just a comic guys, there are other Avengers #1's you can buy instead of this one.

I have to disagree on that point. This forum is made up of individuals and it has had a huge positive impact on my collecting.

He just wants everybody to bury their heads in the sand and not bring wrongs out into the light when they are found doh!

Some people really have no life outside of comics which is why they notice these things as well as "keeping tabs on the seller" Ok, keeping tabs on the seller for what purpose? To prove what? The greater good of the CGC collecting community? If that's the case Your voice is falling on deaf ears because as daffy duck once said "One man cannot make a difference" The comic collecting market doesn't start with CGC forum member #1 and ends with the last guy who signs up.

One man or woman cannot command the world to change but I have been very much influenced by the opinion of individuals.

Some people really have no life outside of comics which is why they notice these things as well as "keeping tabs on the seller" Ok, keeping tabs on the seller for what purpose? To prove what? The greater good of the CGC collecting community? If that's the case Your voice is falling on deaf ears because as daffy duck once said "One man cannot make a difference" The comic collecting market doesn't start with CGC forum member #1 and ends with the last guy who signs up.

One man or woman cannot command the world to change but I have been very much influenced by the opinion of individuals.

And amazingly enough, often times one person's stance snowballs into a majority movement.

Ditto. Major props to spiderphill for the original post in the Silver forum.

eBay seller collectors_comics has some rather interesting books for sale.

Various forms of manipulation employed to inflate certification valuation.

Here are a few more examples.

BM-11_FC-compare_zps3e56d288.jpg

BM-11_FC-compare2_zpsd6aac755.jpg

Batman #1 DC 1940 - CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN of Batman - 1st Apps The Joker & Catwoman

+1

And, as far as the world of comic books goes, there are a ton of intelligent and independent opinions on these boards.