• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Being able to get a low-grade bump by adding tape is already stupid, but by what possible standard does "piece of tape on cover" and "piece of tape on interior" equal a Universal 7.0?

A few years ago I decided the math couldn't possibly work out well in the long-run for the CPR game and decided not to spend on any more on high-grade keys (I only gave in once, and it's probably a Frankenbook, but oh well). I'm resolved to settle for mid-grade keys or, even better, just to focus on collecting esoterica where the potential money isn't big enough for any of the creative engineers to get involved. There's no way this whole process ends well.

Have CGC ever even tried to justify tape in blue labels? It is sickening that people are adding tape to get blue label grade bumps, always has been.

Have CGC ever even tried to justify tape in blue labels? It is sickening that people are adding tape to get blue label grade bumps, always has been.

Yeah, there are weird ways to manipulate certain systems, but that is one that just seems to be wrong in every way.

Ditto. Major props to spiderphill for the original post in the Silver forum.

eBay seller collectors_comics has some rather interesting books for sale.

Various forms of manipulation employed to inflate certification valuation.

Here are a few more examples.

BM-11_FC-compare_zps3e56d288.jpg

BM-11_FC-compare2_zpsd6aac755.jpg

Batman #1 DC 1940 - CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN of Batman - 1st Apps The Joker & Catwoman

What happened to the white color flake at the bottom of the spine, ~1" up from the bottom? That whole red building looks significantly different, and now the seller has pulled the book from ebay. This one really looks, uh, interesting. hm