• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

After just browsing thru this thread the term "Old Label Goodness" has profound new meaning!!! :o

Old Label Goodness...the Borock Era...the days before loose grading standards. :cloud9:

Ditto. Major props to spiderphill for the original post in the Silver forum.

eBay seller collectors_comics has some rather interesting books for sale.

Various forms of manipulation employed to inflate certification valuation.

Here are a few more examples.

BM-11_FC-compare_zps3e56d288.jpg

BM-11_FC-compare2_zpsd6aac755.jpg

Batman #1 DC 1940 - CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN of Batman - 1st Apps The Joker & Catwoman

What happened to the white color flake at the bottom of the spine, ~1" up from the bottom? That whole red building looks significantly different, and now the seller has pulled the book from ebay. This one really looks, uh, interesting. hm

Looks like the cover's been cleaned...

Ditto. Major props to spiderphill for the original post in the Silver forum.

eBay seller collectors_comics has some rather interesting books for sale.

Various forms of manipulation employed to inflate certification valuation.

Here are a few more examples.

BM-11_FC-compare_zps3e56d288.jpg

BM-11_FC-compare2_zpsd6aac755.jpg

Batman #1 DC 1940 - CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN of Batman - 1st Apps The Joker & Catwoman

What happened to the white color flake at the bottom of the spine, ~1" up from the bottom? That whole red building looks significantly different, and now the seller has pulled the book from ebay. This one really looks, uh, interesting. hm

Looks like the cover's been cleaned...

Looks like? I'd say it's pretty definitive...

It's sad it's come to this but he's just playing by CGCs rules...... He's definitely a professional at what he does...... Just have to steer clear of his books.

stay clear of his other Ebay account also (thumbs u

I'm sorry, and don't mean to point you out by saying this, but what this individual is doing is destroying comic books. There is absolutely nothing professional about the destructive methods being employed, and it is sickening to think CGC has undeservedly awarded anyone more than once a blue label for this level of butchery.

Shame on you CGC.

It's sad it's come to this but he's just playing by CGCs rules...... He's definitely a professional at what he does...... Just have to steer clear of his books.

This is of Ewert proportions. Rules or no rules it has no place here.

Unfortunately, If this particular form of manipulation is continued to be blessed by CGC, it won't just be his books, as others will follow

Unfortunately, If this particular form of manipulation is continued to be blessed by CGC, it won't just be his books, as others will follow

To say nothing of the volcanic social media eruption that is likely to occur.

Versus all of these posts that are basically being stated to people that can't do anything about it?

It easy to sit back and complain, did you write/call Paul to bring this to his attention?

What exactly do you want to happen?

CGC admit they made a mistake?

Force the seller to return the book?

Proclaim to the buying public they will never make another mistake?

Grade to each and every individuals grading standards?

Openly admit that they don't give a sheet?

Thankfully, Bob emailed us yesterday and let us know what was going on. We are going to look into this today, but we do not want to discuss our plans just yet.

We take this very seriously. I would like to re-iterate that CGC does not "Cover Grade" - we all know that cover grading would never work and is not what this hobby deserves.

We'd like to thank the boards for pointing out these concerns. You watch the Watchmen and it is appreciated. More to come. Thanks.

Maybe some of the rules are archaic and need to be updated?

This is of Ewert proportions. Rules or no rules it has no place here.

i support pressing and whoever else is pro pressing really has no leg to stand on. This dude is playing with CGCs rules.... I just personally to choose that shifting a spine is where I draw my line personally. I won't do that to my books and ill steer clear of any book I suspect taking this kind of treatment.

do I need to bring out the scan of the 10.0 with miswrap again?

Are you talking about Thor 156 ?

this one...the miswrap is small but anyone that think 10.0 is "perfect" WRONG...WRONG...WRONG...wrong...wrong...wrong as my almost six years old tend to say whenever he is trying to argue with me by running off 10 wrongs in a row.

1097590019a.jpg

Versus all of these posts that are basically being stated to people that can't do anything about it?

It easy to sit back and complain, did you write/call Paul to bring this to his attention?

Thankfully, Bob emailed us yesterday and let us know what was going on. We are going to look into this today, but we do not want to discuss our plans just yet.

We take this very seriously. I would like to re-iterate that CGC does not "Cover Grade" - we all know that cover grading would never work and is not what this hobby deserves.

We'd like to thank the boards for pointing out these concerns. You watch the Watchmen and it is appreciated. More to come. Thanks.

stop rewarding tape and you solve a lot of problems ;)

Paul thanks for posting but please make sure you have seen the other books posted in this thread. Batman 1, More Fun 59, Cap 13, Action 27, etc.

Good of you to respond, Paul. (thumbs u

However, regarding...

'We'd like to thank the boards for pointing out these concerns. You watch the Watchmen and it is appreciated. More to come. Thanks.'

...could I ask why previous, extremely educational threads related to similar activity have been deleted from the boards?

I'm thinking of the Ewert-related threads and the 'Manufactured Gold' thread and a few others?

You know what they say about learning from history, but if that history isn't available to our new boards members...? (shrug)

An email that I sent to the higher-ups at CGC on 12/8/09, over 3 years ago. I didn't receive a response...

You may or may not have heard that I raised a bit of a ruckus last week on the boards by posting a thread about the presence of tape increasing the grade on some books, sometimes Golden Age keys.

A while back, I started to notice books like Superman #1 and Detective #27 that had been a 2.0 or 2.5 with a detached cover showing up again as a 3.0 or 3.5, now with tape holding the cover onto the book. Another example is a Captain America #1 coming up in the February Heritage auction that used to be a 3.5 with the cover detached at the bottom staple, which now sits in a 4.5 holder with tape at the bottom staple.

On a gut level, it feels wrong to me that by adding something as potentially destructive as tape, a book's grade can increase. So, I started a poll in the thread that I created asking the following three questions:

1) Should CGC continue giving a book a higher grade if it's cover is attached with tape rather than being detached?

2) Should CGC grade a book with a cover attached with tape exactly the same way they'd grade a book with a detached cover?

3) Should CGC grade a book with a cover attached with tape lower than the same book with a detached cover?

84 people responded to the poll, and the results were surprising. Only 7% of the responders agreed with #1, that CGC should continue its practice of giving a book a higher grade if it's cover is attached with tape than if the cover was detached. The other 93% felt that CGC should grade a book with tape attaching the cover to the book the same as a detached cover, or that CGC should grade the book lower than the same copy with a detached cover. I know board polls are anything but scientific, but the fact that 93% should agree on this topic is amazing. I doubt 93% of board members would agree that the sky is blue. That sort of united front on a topic never happens on the boards.

I think adamstrange put it best in the thread when he said that the current policy incentivizes destructive practices. We've all seen what tape can do to a book over time. Rick(detective27kid) mentioned that this practice will only increase in the near future as more and more people see the easy money that can be made with very little effort.

The only way to take the incentive away is if CGC changes its policy and no longer recognizes the apparent structural improvements created by tape. I'm not saying its restoration, and I'm not saying that CGC should downgrade for it. Just please consider not upgrading a book based on the presence of tape. After all, the book is still detached from the staples.

Thanks for your time. I hope you guys get some time off for the holidays!

Jeff

stop rewarding tape and you solve a lot of problems ;)

Yep, the tape issue is a travesty and rewards the destruction of books and needs to end now.