• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

I have a question:

Why exactly is CGC offering to take the book back? Because they do not approve of the practice that was used to attain the higher grade or because they believe they graded the book incorrectly?

Yes and yes

I doubt whether it was a fricken' "offer" :makepoint:

The real question is what COLOR is the label going to be....

What comic books do you own and are they graded by the CGC?

He won't answer. I just bet and I know it. I know he won't and I just bet he won't.

I think he does have one or two nice books, maybe an Action 1, if my memory serves me correctly, but I'm betting that they aren't graded by the CGC.

I doubt he has an Action 1 anymore. He bought one in 1911 though.

I thought that was a T-206 Honus Wagner?

He might be confused about that.

Age can do that to an unmedicated man.

Theres something so endearing about grumpy cat! :luhv:

Man, what i would pay to own that thing and be able to stare at him all day! And i freaking HATE cats but i LOVE that damn thing! :cloud9:

I have a question:

Why exactly is CGC offering to take the book back? Because they do not approve of the practice that was used to attain the higher grade or because they believe they graded the book incorrectly?

Yes and yes

I doubt whether it was a fricken' "offer" :makepoint:

The real question is what COLOR is the label going to be....

He won't answer. I just bet and I know it. I know he won't and I just bet he won't.

I think he does have one or two nice books, maybe an Action 1, if my memory serves me correctly, but I'm betting that they aren't graded by the CGC.

I doubt he has an Action 1 anymore. He bought one in 1911 though.

I thought that was a T-206 Honus Wagner?

He might be confused about that.

Age can do that to an unmedicated man.

Yes. Especially when the patient exhibits blow-hardary. In these special cases, caution is prudent.

Man, what i would pay to own that thing and be able to stare at him all day! And i freaking HATE cats but i LOVE that damn thing! :cloud9:

I like cats just fine. I have a few good ones. It'd probably take a few million to pry that little bugger from the owners hands.

I like cats just fine. I have a few good ones. It'd probably take a few million to pry that little bugger from the owners hands.

I cant even imagine!

They must just sit around eating caviar and laughing their asses off all day long on a pile of internet meme money :o

I cant even imagine!

They must just sit around eating caviar and laughing their asses off all day long on a pile of internet meme money :o

The good life. :cloud9:

I cant even imagine!

Sounds like a good life.

I hardly think CGC will actually re-grade the Avengers 1. Even if it is returned by the seller, I assume it's just for educational and coaching purposes at this point. The only way the seller would even remotely agree to sending in a $60k book (running the risk of the pony express, mind you) is if he's certain that the grade will not change and that CGC is compensating him with some additional $'s to get to the bottom of their errors.

Not saying the seller is right or wrong with the spine realignment, but CGC's task is to learn from their mistakes. I just don't think they can go so far as right a wrong on an existing book with an excess grade. I'd think, much like the tape, that this becomes a "Grandfathered in" type of exercise.

CGC could just as easily regrade it and pay the seller the difference between what it was, wrongly, graded at then and graded out now.

It would not be the first time CGC would have done it and it wouldnt be the first time other collectible grading companies would have done it either.

if cgc really wanted the book

they could have bought it on ebay before the listing was pulled

It makes much better business sense to do it the way they are currently handling the situation, and would imagine the ace in their back pocket might be getting eBay to side with them in restricting the sellers ability to sell it if he doesn't comply with CGC's request to return the book.

Zaid's suggestions seem possibly a bit aggressive though still consistent with the law. But this idea doesn't seem consistent with any laws that I am aware of or any laws that I think should exist.

I don't like that rewrapped book either and it's a shame it was damaged to get a "better" label, but to suggest that CGC would or should have the power to interfere with someone selling a book they paid CGC to grade? That seems to envision CGC as some legal and moral authority that it doesn't have and, simply, shouldn't have. And that's without even adding on the idea that they should be able to compel another company, ebay, to prevent him from selling it. It is, or at least should be, CGC's job to grade books and identify damage of all kinds, including "foreign matter," pressing and rewrapping, if they can. But people should not expect, and certainly shouldn't demand, that CGC has or should have the power to tell people what to think about a book, or whether they should shun it, and certainly not to be able to prevent people from buying or selling it.

I remember a situation where a defect claim was used to have an item delisted. I don't know the exact details as I alerted the grading company when I stumbled onto the listing and wasn't privy to how it was handled. It eventually turned up on a less known selling venue, which led me to think the seller got bounced from eBay for trying to sell it after the company had requested it be sent to them for review. All said, I did say might because I'm not sure if there were other reasons at play.

Your point on trade interference is well taken. The Django toys ban quickly comes to mind as a more recent example. I guess it really depends on how eBay views it's role in safeguarding consumers, and how it acts on the information it collects from reports and claims, especially if the claim pertains to selling an item flagged/recalled by a company.

Let me get this straight.....

Everybody here is a Collector not a investor, everybody does not care if they spend 1000 or 10,000 or 1000,000 on a single comic and they lose money.....

You are here only because you buy and read comics...what does not make sense is why you ARE here, this a grading service for INVESTORS/COLLECTORS in which you can NEVER READ YOU COMIC BOOK AGAIN UNLESS YOU BREAK OPEN THE CONTAINER

ARE you FFFFFF kidding me....

That's way too lucid of a sentence for him to respond to. Let me translate:

Miotch, what comic you haave and face job yes no. Money.

I laughed so hard, my husband came running in to see if was choking or something..

I agree with Sharon - that is a hysterical post...

If the CGC "pays" for its mistake, how much profit is the buyer gonna make?????

Tree-fiddy.