• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

Welcome to the hobby pressing has created. I hate to say it, and noone should take this personally but IMO if you (myself included) buy, sell or support pressed books you have been a part of creating a market that accepts this.

:applause: Absolutely.

No, not absolutely. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable.

+1 For once I agree with Watson. Spot on comment.

Linky

Yet another example ?

very possible. You can see his old serial numbers before the 112xxx. They were 105xxx for the longest.

CGC has sent me three different batches of submission forms. They start with 105xxxx, 108xxxx, 111xxxx. I grab the ones that are in a particular Office, either my Home Office, Work Office, or the 1st Storage shed. The numbering is probably meaningless here.

CAL hm

Linky

Yet another example ?

very possible. You can see his old serial numbers before the 112xxx. They were 105xxx for the longest.

CGC has sent me three different batches of submission forms. They start with 105xxxx, 108xxxx, 111xxxx. I grab the ones that are in a particular Office, either my Home Office, Work Office, or the 1st Storage shed. The numbering is probably meaningless here.

CAL hm

wrong.

Linky

Yet another example ?

CAL hm

wrong. He did work on that book. You can see all the 1056xxxx books in his eBay store.

At any rate, he has nothing for me to buy in his store. I render no opinion on the how and why of another Dealer, it is not for me to say or criticize another dealer in SA books as it would be unfair and hypocritical for me to do so, but I CAN say that had I been in this same situation with that 1st AVG 1 CGC 8.5, I would not re-spine/fold to this already "gift" grade of that 8.5.

I would be too afraid of the back cover repercussions, that we can't see for sure here.

CAL trying to be impartial...

Linky

Yet another example ?

This really disgusts me :censored: What once was a decent looking book has now been damaged just to get a grade bump.It's all about the money :sumo:

Welcome to the hobby pressing has created. I hate to say it, and noone should take this personally but IMO if you (myself included) buy, sell or support pressed books you have been a part of creating a market that accepts this.

No, not absolutely. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable.

+1 For once I agree with Watson. Spot on comment.

You agreed with me when you took my $120 in Chicago last year. So, that's at least twice. :baiting:

But I don't think it's quite accurate to say that all the seller did was get the book pressed. Relocating the spine on a book goes beyond conventional pressing.

Not getting into the argument of whether it's ethical or not, there is little difference mechanically between removing a spine roll and creating one.

I wasn't getting into the ethics either. I was just noting that whether relocating the spine is mechanically the same as a typical press or not, relocating the spine was upsetting to people who are not upset by a typical press.

Mechanically there isn't much difference between the printer with lax QC trimming the cover of a given comic book a bit narrower than other copies and ans someone with a paper cutter doing it after purchase.

But I don't think it's quite accurate to say that all the seller did was get the book pressed. Relocating the spine on a book goes beyond conventional pressing.

Not getting into the argument of whether it's ethical or not, there is little difference mechanically between removing a spine roll and creating one.

I wasn't getting into the ethics either. I was just noting that whether relocating the spine is mechanically the same as a typical press or not, relocating the spine was upsetting to people who are not upset by a typical press.

Mechanically there isn't much difference between the printer with lax QC trimming the cover of a given comic book a bit narrower than other copies and ans someone with a paper cutter doing it after purchase.

I THINK the back cover has been Trimmed to off-set the new overhang created by the re-alignment.

But without back cover scans, we can't be sure...

CAL the Detective...

I THINK the back cover has been Trimmed to off-set the new overhang created by the re-alignment.

CAL the Detective...

You can see both back covers from the original links.

It's unlikely it was trimmed, as the back cover originally sat 1/8 inch from the interior page edge but now sits flush.

CAL the Detective...

You can see both back covers from the original links.

It's unlikely it was trimmed, as the back cover originally sat 1/8 inch from the interior page edge but now sits flush.

I just looked real good - put two screens up at once

If you look REAL CLOSE there are two boxes - the upper Yellow Ad box and the lower Green box - they DO sit closer to the edge towards the left of the comic - definitely a TRIM job!!!

Take a real good look at the back cover scans for yourselves CAL... :news:

It was already pointed out the book barely fit in the well, sorry forgot who said it, long thread. This guy likely trimmed this book. Probably has an elaborate system to make sure the book fits the inner well and gives the ever so slight trim if needed. Even that 7.0 looks trimmed.

Do we need to form a boardie lynch mob & head West??

The irony here is thick enough to shield me from a gamma bomb. Ive seen you defend pressing so many times i cant count them. Now that a technique has passed your personal line in the sand its a big deal. This book isnt anymore damaged than any other pressed book ( actual damage not your opinion on ascetics). Cgc is simply grading the book as it sits in front of them.

The irony here is thick enough to shield me from a gamma bomb. Ive seen you defend pressing so many times i cant count them. Now that a technique has passed your personal line in the sand its a big deal. This book isnt anymore damaged than any other pressed book ( actual damage not your opinion on ascetics). Cgc is simply grading the book as it sits in front of them.

Yes, it has been damaged. It has had a new spine created where wasn't one before.. I still defend pressing. This isn't pressing. This is purposely deforming a book to improve the technical grade. Nothing about this is book has been improved upon with exception of the number in the upper left hand corner and that fault lays squarely with the CGC.

Plus, you need to work on your hyperbole technique. You need to be just a touch more indignant.

Yes, it has been damaged. It has had a new spine created where wasn't one before.. I still defend pressing. This isn't pressing. This is purposely deforming a book to improve the technical grade. Nothing about this is book has been improved upon with exception of the number in the upper left hand corner and that fault lays squarely with the CGC.

Plus, you need to work on your hyperbole technique. You need to be just a touch more indignant.

You sound like every anti presser ive heard you rail on over the years. Your emotions cloud your judgement (and your posts). Press a spine roll in, press a spine roll out its all the same "damage"

As an aside, i had a tales to astonish 93 9.2 that looked like the avengers 9.2. It looked to have been made that way. I then had it pressed and the spine realligned to where it should have been. Matt nelson did this for me in like 2009.

You sound like every anti presser ive heard you rail on over the years. Your emotions cloud your judgement (and your posts). Press a spine roll in, press a spine roll out its all the same "damage"

As an aside, i had a tales to astonish 93 9.2 that looked like the avengers 9.2. It looked to have been made that way. I then had it pressed and the spine realigned to where it should have been. Matt nelson did this for me in like 2009.

No, I don't. No, I'm not. No, it isn't. Nothing about the book in question was put back to it's original position. It was purposely deformed to hide defects that are still there. You can't press color back on a book.

As an aside, i had a tales to astonish 93 9.2 that looked like the avengers 9.2. It looked to have been made that way. I then had it pressed and the spine realligned to where it should have been. Matt nelson did this for me in like 2009.

No, I don't. No, I'm not. No, it isn't.

You absolutely do, are and it is.

Pressing a spine roll in or a spine roll out uses the same mechanics. No difference.

Got pics? :wishluck:

There is the outside possibility that the 8.5 was merely pressed in a standard manner that shifted the spine ever so slightly and Dude benefited from some lackluster CGC grading with no original deception intended... ???

*shrug*