• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

Feel free to scream at me.

You are correct, Balls. See my post above on the exact same subject for tips on brevity, clarity and succinctness.

AND anal colloquialisms!

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

You are correct, Balls. See my post above on the exact same subject for tips on brevity, clarity and succinctness.

AND anal colloquialisms!

That's just a bonus.

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

It will be assimilated like every other change in policy or price increase. Nothing to see here.

From the website. What are Grader Notes?

CGC Grader Notes

What are CGC Grader Notes?

When CGC graders examine a comic book or magazine, they often enter comments about the collectible's condition. These "Grader Notes" describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did. After the first grader enters notes and their grade, the next grader can review those notes and can make any additional notes. For comics with the purple CGC Restored Grade label, Restoration Notes are given that describe the location and type of restoration. These notes are a valuable part of the grading process, and CGC now allows Grader Notes to be obtained online.

Sample Grader Notes

Some commonly used CGC Grader Notes include:

Right Center Front Cover Lite Fingerprints

Top Spine Water Damage

Left Center Back Cover Moderate Erasure Mark

Spine Small Stress Lines

Staple Rusted w/Rust Stained Interior

Interior Heavy Tanning

Bottom Right Front Cover Large Crease

Top Right Front Cover Restoration Color Touch

Left Center Back Cover Restoration Tear Seal

Grader Notes Fee

CGC Grader Notes are available for purchase online at CGCcomics.com. The fee for CGC Grader Notes varies based on the tier the comic book or magazine was submitted under.

Introductory Fees for CGC Grader Notes:

Comics Submitted Under (Tier) Fee

Economy, Value and Modern $5

Standard and Express $15

Walkthrough $30

How do I get CGC Grader Notes?

When you enter a certification number for a CGC-graded collectible in the free Verify CGC Certification tool, you will see if it has any Grader Notes. To unlock the Grader Notes, click the "Get Notes" button and fill in the required fields. CGC Dealers can expedite the process by logging in to have Grader Notes billed with their monthly statement.

CGC Grader Notes are sent to the email provided within one business day. If the Grader Notes purchase page says that delivery will be INSTANT, the Grader Notes will appear immediately and also sent by email.

Why doe it cost more to get the graders nots from a walk thru as opposed to an economy?

Whether the notes were taken during the same day or over the course of a 6 week period should not matter.

Graders notes are graders notes.

Because the books are more valuable, hence the notes are more valuable.

I agree in principle, but I think $30 is a little much.

AND anal colloquialisms!

That's just a bonus.

Please don't charge us for it.

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

It will be assimilated like every other change in policy or price increase. Nothing to see here.

It's not really a question of what it costs, or who's paid for it. It's intellectual property - and it has value, that's how they see it.

CGC Grader Notes

When CGC graders examine a comic book or magazine, they often enter comments about the collectible's condition. These "Grader Notes" describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did. After the first grader enters notes and their grade, the next grader can review those notes and can make any additional notes. For comics with the purple CGC Restored Grade label, Restoration Notes are given that describe the location and type of restoration. These notes are a valuable part of the grading process, and CGC now allows Grader Notes to be obtained online.

Sample Grader Notes

Top Spine Water Damage

Spine Small Stress Lines

Interior Heavy Tanning

Grader Notes Fee

CGC Grader Notes are available for purchase online at CGCcomics.com. The fee for CGC Grader Notes varies based on the tier the comic book or magazine was submitted under.

Standard and Express $15

Walkthrough $30

When you enter a certification number for a CGC-graded collectible in the free Verify CGC Certification tool, you will see if it has any Grader Notes. To unlock the Grader Notes, click the "Get Notes" button and fill in the required fields. CGC Dealers can expedite the process by logging in to have Grader Notes billed with their monthly statement.

CGC Grader Notes are sent to the email provided within one business day. If the Grader Notes purchase page says that delivery will be INSTANT, the Grader Notes will appear immediately and also sent by email.

Why doe it cost more to get the graders nots from a walk thru as opposed to an economy?

Whether the notes were taken during the same day or over the course of a 6 week period should not matter.

Fair enough. It looks like the wailing and gnashing of teeth has been ground down to a question of price. Reminds me of the punchline to a good joke: "We've already determined what you are, madam, all that remains is to finally determine the price."

AND anal colloquialisms!

That's just a bonus.

Please don't charge us for it.

If I could send the Boards a bill, I would have, long ago.

CGC Grader Notes

Sample Grader Notes

Top Spine Water Damage

Spine Small Stress Lines

Interior Heavy Tanning

Grader Notes Fee

Standard and Express $15

Walkthrough $30

Fair enough. It looks like the wailing and gnashing of teeth has been ground down to a question of price. Reminds me of the punchline to a good joke: "We've already determined what you are, madam, all that remains is to finally determine the price."

They all cost.

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

Here's another take from an occasional member of the CPR gang: Grader's notes are overated in their usefulness. They've been getting more and more sparse & generic the last few years as it is. Notes from 2003 (which were pretty detailed) might've told you something about the book, notes from 2011? Not so much....

CGC wants to charge $30 for a set of notes that reads:

- Light edge creasing.

- Multiple spine stresses.

- wear that breaks color on back cover.

Yeah, okay, go for it. Good luck with that new revenue stream. meh

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

This makes me mad. I paid over $100 to get something graded and when it was resubbed I paid another $100 to get the grade it deserved. Now I have to pay $15 to determine this? That is pretty awful. Yeah, it's great to have the notes published (finally) but it was only a matter of time before CGC had to do something to support the grades they put on the books. TO have to pay an additiona sum to get this information seems very petty to me. 2c

I don't see how it is petty. If you pay for a service with a defined outcome (a graded and slabbed comic) are you necessarily entitled to all of the work product that goes into providing it?

In a word... YES.

CGC Grader Notes

Sample Grader Notes

Top Spine Water Damage

Spine Small Stress Lines

Interior Heavy Tanning

Grader Notes Fee

Standard and Express $15

Walkthrough $30

The day is still young and Friday is yet to come.

There shall be much stomping of the feet and wailing to the unfairness God.

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

CGC Grader Notes

Sample Grader Notes

Top Spine Water Damage

Spine Small Stress Lines

Interior Heavy Tanning

Grader Notes Fee

Standard and Express $15

Walkthrough $30

I should have stayed out, and just enjoyed the wailing and gnashing.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

I've never called CGC, nor have I even submitted any books since 2003, so it's completely inappropriate for me to weigh in on any aspects of this discussion. Won't stop me though. :insane: