• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

CGC has always been getting a piece via resubmissions. Is it really pressers who call most of the time for notes? I've called many times, and every time it was so I knew more about an expensive book I was in the market to buy, so all this change does for people like me is cost me money and me off. :mad:

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

Feel free to scream at me.

I've worked for two companies that did graphic design and both gave those supporting files you're talking about to clients for free as a part of the work--it's the client who paid for that work anyway, it's not like you created the supporting pieces on your own dime, you did it on the client's dime. I can't say I know what the norm in graphic design is though, just what the companies I've worked for have done. I'm a software developer, and the metaphor works for that as well--it's like paying someone to write software for you but then refusing to give them the source code. Yes, there are software development companies that do exactly that--but I'm here to tell you that you need to avoid those companies like the plague. Most don't do that, nor should they. (tsk)

This certainly won't be the popular opinion - but I liken it a bit to what I do for a living. And it may not be the correct analogy, but it's the one I'm going with.

Let's say a client pays me to design an annual report. What the client gets at the end is a file that they can print the annual report with - not the graphics that I used to create that file. The elements I used to develop the final product belong to me - if a client wants them, I suppose I would charge them. Because they are not paying for the graphic files, they are paying for the end product.

Same thing here with CGC. We pay for a slab with a number on it. The process to get it there belongs to CGC.

I've worked for two companies that did graphic design and both gave those supporting files you're talking about to clients for free as a part of the work--it's the client who paid for that work anyway, it's not like you created the supporting pieces on your own dime, you did it on the client's dime. I can't say I know what the norm in graphic design is though, just what the companies I've worked for have done. I'm a software developer, and the metaphor works for that as well--it's like paying someone to write software for you but then refusing to give them the source code. Yes, there are software development companies that do exactly that--but I'm here to tell you that you need to avoid those companies like the plague. Most don't do that, nor should they. (tsk)

Ditto that. Every studio and agency i have worked for the client owns and receives all the source files if they request them. When a client leaves the agency, we turn them all over to the client. They bought them they own them.

I've gotten at least one expensive book back, where I was surprised at the grade...there was color touch that had not been removed. I didn't see it. the person who was paid to remove the restoration didn't see it, he told me to call for the notes, CGC very nicely told me where it was.

I guess if you disagree with the grade now, you have to pay to argue? :shrug:

I have only called a 1/2 dozen times, but it was always about something that didn't show in scans...I certainly won't call for $30, I'd skip it...I WOULD however be happy to have something added to my yearly Society dues, for access...I'm sure that has been thought of already and apparently they didn't think that would work...so my guess is...

Some people have been bothering them a lot..It certainly is time consuming for them to give the info.

That makes more sense what Sharon says if you need access to this info you can pay for a higher level in your membership subscription.

Begone; the voice of reason has no place in this thread. :preach:

What about the source code for the dancing lady in your signature? Will that be provided? :baiting:

15 pages and no one's tried it?

"Thank you! Grader Notes will be emailed within one business day. Please save this email for your records."

I'd think for $15 it would be instant. Can't be too hard to connect their db that houses their notes to the site.

"Thank you! Grader Notes will be emailed within one business day. Please save this email for your records."

I'd think for $15 it would be instant. Can't be too hard to connect their db that houses their notes to the site.

This tells me that they probably have someone that will process all grader note request the next day and send out emails.

It costs more than $15 for instant gratification. :baiting:

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

The only thing that is kinda extortiony is the different prices for different tiers. The notes are the notes regardless of what tier the consumer used to get the book graded.

If I pay $30 for some notes, there better be a little somethin somethin that goes with that email.

:whee:

Agreed. All notes are now $30. Thanks for the idea.

Maybe the upper-most level of the CGC Society Membership would include 10 free graders notes... hm

At the very least, the submitter should be able to get the notes for free.

+1

They've already paid to have the book graded. Why should they have to pay again?

Why would the submitter need the grader's notes? They had the book in their hands before they submitted it.

meh

At the very least, the submitter should be able to get the notes for free.

+1

They've already paid to have the book graded. Why should they have to pay again?

Why would the submitter need the grader's notes? They had the book in their hands before they submitted it.

meh

+1

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

"Thank you for calling CGC, your business is important to us. We currently have an above-average volume of pressers calling right now. Please be patient and the next available representative will be happy to assist you. "

This tells me that they probably have someone that will process all grader note request the next day and send out emails.

Yep. So much for the "saving time to speed up turnarounds" argument.

Yep. So much for the "saving time to speed up turnarounds" argument.

If they hire someone to just enter grading notes, that saves the graders a lot of time to grade books rather than just sit on the phone all day handing out notes.

I think the $15 price is a little high as it is, and what is even more offensive is that they charge more for higher tiered books. I just tried to get notes on another book of mine and the charge was $30.

doh!

Really? For 30 seconds of data entry?

Finally, in a pinch I might even pay that if I had to make a split second decision at a convention where a deal was on the line but to have to wait a day to get a reply makes it entirely unreasonable.

I think they might need to rethink this one...