• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

There's never been any real reason to have the graders give out the notes anyway.

The same could be said about their estimated turn around times.

:insane:

Monetizing certain aspects of a business that were once free, is not in and of itself, evidence that a company is taking advantage of its consumers. One can argue the merits of the decision till they're blue in the face.

The issue with CGC remains the horrendous turnaround times for their grading service. That is the core of their business. The ancillary income streams that can be created all stem from their continued success in that area. The excuse of a convention season was plausible in the beginning of the year. Almost 4 months later and there is seemingly little change in the backlog.

Not to diminish the abilities of the CGC graders, but I can't imagine that finding additional graders is such an impossibility. If they continue to accept an increasing number of submissions without adding the necessary staff to support that growth, they are headed toward an ugly place.

show me the comicfax.

Dan

comicfax.jpg

Bahahaha I'm totally starting this business.

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

I am shocked that you would be here to defend this. Shocked.

Hint: Not everyone who calls for notes is looking to CPR a book.

I love yea Mike so it funny you are so mad about this and yet rag on me when I go on my high gas prices rants. :kidaround:

I have called about a dozen times in all the years that I have been dealing with CGC. First of all I never understood why a grader had to read the notes. If you questioned the grade then I could see them charging you for asking for a grader to go over the notes.

Now for this new system. We all must have unique ID numbers in their databases. If I ask for a book that I had originally graded then why charge me? Shouldn't that already be in the fees that I paid for grading? If I am submitting the cert # for a book that was not submitted by me, then charge me. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with a $30 fee, that's nuts. Maybe partner up with gpanalysis for a higher tiered pricing and let them handle the service.

About the only things left for CGC to charge for are the Chat Boards and the Registry. Get your wallet ready...

Get ready for $9.99 a month to sell on the boards. hm

Oh, hell yeah! :takeit:

About the only things left for CGC to charge for are the Chat Boards and the Registry. Get your wallet ready...

Cal must have had LONG conversations with them;)

Cal must have had LONG conversations with them;)

lol

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

"Thank you for calling CGC, your business is important to us. We currently have an above-average volume of pressers calling right now. Please be patient and the next available representative will be happy to assist you. "

I hope your kids inherited your wife's sense of humor instead of yours.

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

"Thank you for calling CGC, your business is important to us. We currently have an above-average volume of pressers calling right now. Please be patient and the next available representative will be happy to assist you. "

Nice.

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

Here's another take from an occasional member of the CPR gang: Grader's notes are overated in their usefulness. They've been getting more and more sparse & generic the last few years as it is. Notes from 2003 (which were pretty detailed) might've told you something about the book, notes from 2011? Not so much....

CGC wants to charge $30 for a set of notes that reads:

- Light edge creasing.

- Multiple spine stresses.

- wear that breaks color on back cover.

Yeah, okay, go for it. Good luck with that new revenue stream. meh

I was going to read the entire thread, but this post says what I immediately thought of when I first started reading it.

Whenever I've called for notes, you get something like Jive just posted. A few motnhs back a dealer had a book that I was thinking about. The book was graded a 5.5. When I called for grader notes, I got what would amount to about 3 short lines of defects.

This is on a book that would've fallen in the $15 price tier. I would've been pissed if I had paid $15 to find that out. At these prices (which are pretty high, IMO), I hope the notes are alot more detailed than they have been in the past. For $15 on a book that's a 5.5, I'd expect a paragraphs worth of defects.

Has anyone actually tried it yet? Is it the same old, same old? Or is it highly detailed notes?

If it's highly detailed, I can see it as a useful (albeit expensive) tool. If it's what it currently is, it's a total rip-off. Even the $5 tier.

I know someone who did. This is what he got.

Grader Notes: Bottom Staple Wear

What was the grade of the book he was asking about? I hope it was a really HG book. But, why would you need to call on one of those?

I usually call on books in the 5-8 range.