• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Photobucket

Change that bill into a comic book, and that's what the CPR gang has been doing all along to the comics themselves. CGC should get a piece.

It's a little less easy money for the CPR crowd. I'm singing "Cry me a river" in my best Justin Timberlake voice.

Here's another take from an occasional member of the CPR gang: Grader's notes are overated in their usefulness. They've been getting more and more sparse & generic the last few years as it is. Notes from 2003 (which were pretty detailed) might've told you something about the book, notes from 2011? Not so much....

CGC wants to charge $30 for a set of notes that reads:

- Light edge creasing.

- Multiple spine stresses.

- wear that breaks color on back cover.

Yeah, okay, go for it. Good luck with that new revenue stream. meh

I bet if we called on that FF #1 you had the notes would have read:

- The back cover looks like someone tried to use it to make s'mores.

Fingh has reduced this thread into a level-headed, mature, edifying, even-handed conversation instead of a pre-Friday flame war. This does nothing for me.

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

This makes me mad. I paid over $100 to get something graded and when it was resubbed I paid another $100 to get the grade it deserved. Now I have to pay $15 to determine this? That is pretty awful. Yeah, it's great to have the notes published (finally) but it was only a matter of time before CGC had to do something to support the grades they put on the books. TO have to pay an additiona sum to get this information seems very petty to me. 2c

I don't see how it is petty. If you pay for a service with a defined outcome (a graded and slabbed comic) are you necessarily entitled to all of the work product that goes into providing it?

Yes I do. Especially if the outcome is dependent on the opinion of fallible humans, and this is the only way to know how they arrived at the outcome. When you send books back for review, CGC doesn't offer to eat the cost of regrading a book even if they deem the grade may be wrong. So why do they have to charge us for the only means we have to determine the criteria they used to arrive at the grade. I don't know, I may come around to your thinking, but at first pale it seemed petty.

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

The way I see it is the cost of doing business on CGC's side = the time spent on the phone because, ultimately, CGC makes money on CPR practices anyway.

On the presser's side, weigh this new "cost of doing business" against the easy money said presser has been making over the years, tying up CGC's phone lines.

Have you ever called and not gotten through because there was a presser tying up the phone lines?

I've never called CGC, nor have I even submitted any books since 2003, so it's completely inappropriate for me to weigh in on any aspects of this discussion. Won't stop me though. :insane:

I'm in the same boat. I quit getting SS sketches and signatures as it got too expensive with the fees. Plus, now that the Astonishing X-Men have gotten all queered up, I'll probably stop getting those graded as well. Looks like the only thing I may be in for is the once-in-a-blue-moon CPR or purchasing a pedigree book already graded.

One point though. It's not a cost of doing business. They already develop it internally. I'm guessing for the final grader to review. Therefore the creation doesn't cost money. The time spent giving out the notes costs money. They should've made it almost a negligible cost. That way they make some money but more importantly, save $$ by not answering calls on it.

It will be assimilated like every other change in policy or price increase. Nothing to see here.

+1 :golfclap:

nickel-and-Dime.jpg

lol You are such a dilhole. The fact that they have been giving this information out for free so the CPR gang can make phat bank is ridiculous.

I have rarely called for notes. I usually only do CPR on books I can physically inspect. If i buy on-line or at an auction it is because I want the book.

I see it more as a deterrent for hundreds of calls a day that slow the graders down.

nickel-and-Dime.jpg

lol You are such a dilhole. The fact that they have been giving this information out for free so the CPR gang can make phat bank is ridiculous.

I have rarely called for notes. I usually only do CPR on books I can physically inspect. If i buy on-line or at an auction it is because I want the book.

I see it more as a deterrent for hundreds of calls a day that slow the graders down.

I want to see your phat bank. :taptaptap:

nickel-and-Dime.jpg

I want to see your phat bank. :taptaptap:

Here it is:

I think it's hilarious that CGC is now going to start putting it to the CPR gang who feed them.

I think it's hilarious that CGC is now going to start putting it to the CPR gang who feed them.

I think it's hilarious that people actually think the CPR gang is going to pay for Grader's Notes.

nickel-and-Dime.jpg

This is exactly what it's for. It'll cut down on the calls and squeeze a few more dollars out in the process (win win for CGC). Besides, if they were actually interested in customer satisfaction they could have easily added the graders notes with the recent price increases.

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

I think it's hilarious that people actually think the CPR gang is going to pay for Grader's Notes.

I doubt that the seasoned CPR practitioners will care much but I suspect that some of the "amateur" players will be gutted.

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

Or....just buy Moderns, the fee is cheaper! :idea:

Wow. This sucks.

I do like those newfangled Uncanny X-Force covers. Not much risk of a staple pop there.

Wow. This sucks.

I do like those newfangled Uncanny X-Force covers. Not much risk of a staple pop there.

Not much of a need in getting them graded either.

Wow. This sucks.

Not much of a need of getting them graded either.

Actually, I just like the covers, so no need to buy them either as I can just look at them online.

I am saving money hand over fist already.