• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I have only called once on an ASM 238 that they graded 8.5,when in reality should be a 9.6.They said there were like eleven spine ticks,and I know for a fact there are none.I often wonder if they got the notes on the book mixed up with with someone else's.Can that actually happen?

I have only called once on an ASM 238 that they graded 8.5,when in reality should be a 9.6.They said there were like eleven spine ticks,and I know for a fact there are none.I often wonder if they got the notes on the book mixed up with with someone else's.Can that actually happen?

After their receiving department gets done processing a book, it might have 11 spine ticks (considering some of the horror stories I've heard about how books are handled).

After their receiving department gets done processing a book, it might have 11 spine ticks (considering some of the horror stories I've heard about how books are handled).

No I took it to an onsite grading at an L.A. Con,and I received it same day.

Scan10044-1.jpg

Scan10042-1.jpg

Certainly is the prettiest 8.5 you ever saw.

There's been a few good ideas here about how this could work, and I would hope that CGC listens to some suggestions and adjusts this service so the fee structure is more logical and fair.

I do agree with what someone said earlier in the thread that the original submitter ought to have access to this as they paid for the grading. Also, because some of us only ever call for notes a few times a year as opposed to someone who constantly is calling for notes, perhaps there could be a way to either upgrade a membership so that for instance a dealer could have unlimited access and a standard membership gets you maybe 3 free notes a year, or maybe base it on the number of submissions they make. There's got to be a better way than what they've come up with.

But I do heartily applaud them going digital with the notes and putting them online. That is a big improvement. They just need to rethink the business plan and not totally off their client base. I mean we do matter don't we?

Scan10044-1.jpg

Scan10042-1.jpg

Spine ticks... What spine ticks? (shrug)

Can you still call and get grades? Or is the online version the only place to go now?

Ah, if only that'd been covered in the VERY FIRST POST!! :baiting:

I know, I know. I only read it once and wasn't sure if whoever the OP talked to may have just referred him to the new "feature" while the old method may still be used. (shrug)

Spine ticks... What spine ticks? (shrug)

Exactly there are none,no stains on interior, sharp corners everything is beauty.

Often a regular bag and board is not enough to protect a high grade bok.

Even the smallest tick can greatly affect the grade.

It ia possible that it was damaged during travel or handling as i have had that too. Now, i always use Mylars and full backs to ensure they are well protected from my end.

Yeah, it might cost a dollar or 2 per book but it's worth the extra $ in my books.

Which leads me to believe maybe in the craziness of grading in a con environment,maybe they got confused with my notes on the book. (shrug)

Its shocking if that can actually happen.

That book does not look like an 8.5

Which leads me to believe maybe in the craziness of grading in a con environment,maybe they got confused with my notes on the book. (shrug)

Its shocking if that can actually happen.

That book does not look like an 8.5

Right! Anyone who knows me around the PGM threads,I'm a pretty tight grader.Almost to the point where I maybe undergrade a point,so I'm pretty tough on my own books.That my friends is NOT an 8.5 book.I thought when I handed over to CGC that in my mind was a 9.8 possibly 9.6,so I was expecting a 9.6.I dropped my jaw when I got my book back.

:tonofbricks:

Wow... I call for notes about a half-dozen times a year when I'm bidding on expensive (over $500) books in the 6.0 - 8.5 grade range. I'd have willingly paid a buck or two for the notes on a single book or maybe $25 added on to my CS annual membership fee for unlimited access. These rates seem overly excessive.

:sorry:

At this point in the thread, now it's time to start speculating who ruined it for the rest of us!

I've only called about 5 times in 2 years.

It has to be these high grade dealers who probably called every day to find out about some book that might be a candidate for a crack, press, resub.

Considering the graders were the ones giving the notes on the phone, it's no wonder CGC is back logged and this service is now a ridiculous charge.

They ruined it for the rest of us who used it very sparingly.

Good job guys! (you know who you are)

I have called about a dozen times in all the years that I have been dealing with CGC. First of all I never understood why a grader had to read the notes. If you questioned the grade then I could see them charging you for asking for a grader to go over the notes.

CGC has said that the graders have to give the notes because they are written in a shorthand/code that only the graders can decipher.

The Caltopia is upon us!

All the time I see on web sites the clame -- BEST / None better /Highest graded

At what price point do costomers have the right to say to the seller pay the 15$ and prove it has the best white pages ?

So I agree with a post above we should see the grading notes from now on were $15 is a small% of value

1 % ????

I cant wait to email some one on ebay asking for grader notes !

edited

order_66. has a book I love so sent him a mesage asking for notes !

Wonder how that ends ? Will I servive ?

:whistle:

It didnt take long for him to reply

I will * out some to save you sensitive readers from bad words

Dear gyroone-1,

I don't. ***** **** ****** ***** ***** graders notes ***!

- order_66

:jokealert:

Ummmm

No offense and thanks for the free pub, but some people even with the joke alert on might read this and think I said something negative towards CGC to which I am closely tied.

My reply was:

Dear gyroone-1,

I don't. I have yet to call for graders notes lol!

- order_66

But I do appreciate you not asking me to call and get graders notes so that I would have to pay for your 'joke'

Which I am still trying to figure out the humor in...?

At this point in the thread, now it's time to start speculating who ruined it for the rest of us!
Specious thinking. It's not likely anyone "ruined" it for the rest of us. This was a way to monetize a service already provided and lower labor costs. You haven't noticed a trend around here to increase revenue and lower costs?

Specious thinking. It's not likely anyone "ruined" it for the rest of us. This was a way to monetize a service already provided and lower labor costs. You haven't noticed a trend around here to increase revenue and lower costs?

I don't think my thinking is specious. It seems to be a 1+1=2 scenario.

Yes, they have been showing us the trend of cutting costs to increase revenue. All companies do this and they should do this (especially in today's environment).

However, some services wouldn't need to be cut back unless they are being abused and are eating into the bottom line.

I would be shocked if CGC wasn't getting calls all the time day after day with HG dealers or HG collectors who are constantly checking on a book and if it can be "upgraded".

Perhaps I am wrong in my thinking but it sure seems to me that the catalyst for the change was it was taxing to their bottom line. Casual collectors who call a few times a year were not the ones who cause CGC to think this particular service was such a burden that they need to charge $15 for online notes. It had to be abused for them to get to that point.

Otherwise, they could have just hired anyone to get on a phone and read graders notes to people who call. It's not like it would be a debate about the news. You get the notes and end of call. Why it had to be graders doing it is beyond me. Especially if it's because they are in some shorthand...that's plain ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really care much about the notes change because I called so infrequently. This change clearly affects those who called all the time and they know who they are.

:)

I disagree. I know some people you might suspect would be high volume callers. They're not. I'm not sure it exists to any great degree. IMO, Occam's Razor says the change was caused by a desire to raise more $$ and spend less $$.