• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I think the non-comic book audience was getting tired of superhero films a while ago. The rest of us will always see them eventually. I don't think it's an excuse to make a dumb film. Even good films work for kids and adults alike.

Again if they are tired of them then why are the top 3 biggest worldwide box office movies of 2014 superhero movies?

Can anybody answer that?

What I think it is the non-comic book audience hasn`t grown tired of superhero films, but it`s the old school comic book audience themselves who are tired of them. :o

For some reason the comic book audience who always wanted to be taken serious by mainstream isn`t enjoying how mainstream has taken to these characters.

Remember the old slogan "Comic books aren't just for kids anymore!"

Let`s be fair. Who bashes the superhero comic book films the most?

The new non-comic book audience or old school comic book audience?

I have a feeling some people are not liking that their comic books are now accepted big time by the mainstream audience.

Kind of like an exclusive club not wanting new members. hm

People who know these characters often bash the films because they do a terrible job of capturing these characters on screen. When you see a beloved character just mangled in a film (like me watching Garfield's ASM) it doesn't make you want to rush out to see the sequel. People who haven't read the comics for 25+ years may not have the same reaction. I thoroughly enjoyed DOFP, and I'm sure that this is partially due to the fact that I haven't read the comics nor am invested in the X-men as my childhood favorites.

I'm getting a kick out of watching you jump from one cliched explanation to another for these underperformances though, and am on the edge of my seat to see which one is next.

I am getting a kick out how no one can explain why the top three highest grossing pictures in the whole world are superhero movies!

1.Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Amazing Spider Man 2

3.X-Men: Days of Future Past

If people are tired of them, then they must be really sick of the other genres even more. :o

An undeniable fact is Marvel comic book characters are the hottest thing in mainstream movies.

Mainstream loves them. :cloud9:

:gossip:

This is what is going to happen next folks.

Guardians of the Galaxy will do at least 500 million worldwide to break into the top 5 biggest grossing movies of the year, but we will still hear tired old stories from old school comic book fans who will say mainstream is tired of super hero movies.

:)

because the year isn't over and the other summer "blockbusters" fell even flatter: godzilla, how to train your dragon. as was earlier pointed out, this has been a pretty weak year for box office results.

(shrug) Godzilla did far better than was expected. It's currently sitting at number #5 domestic this year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014&p=.htm

I think the non-comic book audience was getting tired of superhero films a while ago. The rest of us will always see them eventually. I don't think it's an excuse to make a dumb film. Even good films work for kids and adults alike.

Again if they are tired of them then why are the top 3 biggest worldwide box office movies of 2014 superhero movies?

Can anybody answer that?

What I think it is the non-comic book audience hasn`t grown tired of superhero films, but it`s the old school comic book audience themselves who are tired of them. :o

For some reason the comic book audience who always wanted to be taken serious by mainstream isn`t enjoying how mainstream has taken to these characters.

Remember the old slogan "Comic books aren't just for kids anymore!"

Let`s be fair. Who bashes the superhero comic book films the most?

The new non-comic book audience or old school comic book audience?

I have a feeling some people are not liking that their comic books are now accepted big time by the mainstream audience.

Kind of like an exclusive club not wanting new members. hm

People who know these characters often bash the films because they do a terrible job of capturing these characters on screen. When you see a beloved character just mangled in a film (like me watching Garfield's ASM) it doesn't make you want to rush out to see the sequel. People who haven't read the comics for 25+ years may not have the same reaction. I thoroughly enjoyed DOFP, and I'm sure that this is partially due to the fact that I haven't read the comics nor am invested in the X-men as my childhood favorites.

I'm getting a kick out of watching you jump from one cliched explanation to another for these underperformances though, and am on the edge of my seat to see which one is next.

I am getting a kick out how no one can explain why the top three highest grossing pictures in the whole world are superhero movies!

1.Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Amazing Spider Man 2

3.X-Men: Days of Future Past

If people are tired of them, then they must be really sick of the other genres even more. :o

An undeniable fact is Marvel comic book characters are the hottest thing in mainstream movies.

Mainstream loves them. :cloud9:

:gossip:

This is what is going to happen next folks.

Guardians of the Galaxy will do at least 500 million worldwide to break into the top 5 biggest grossing movies of the year, but we will still hear tired old stories from old school comic book fans who will say mainstream is tired of super hero movies.

:)

because the year isn't over and the other summer "blockbusters" fell even flatter: godzilla, how to train your dragon. as was earlier pointed out, this has been a pretty weak year for box office results.

(shrug)Godzilla did far better than was expected. It's currently sitting at number #5 domestic this year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014&p=.htm

not really. the day before it's release Godzilla stock was at $188, it closed at $185. the only movie ever to open w/ >$90mm it's opening weekend and fail to crack $200mm.

If GOTG does only $500 million the film will be considered a flop, especially if the domestic/international ratios we saw on the other 2014 films is similar there.

This could be very true, but if it hits $700mm like ASM2 or DOFP it has to be a major coup for Marvel Studios given that, what, 25% or less of people who know ASM or X-Men ever heard of GoG?

If GOTG does only $500 million the film will be considered a flop, especially if the domestic/international ratios we saw on the other 2014 films is similar there.

This could be very true, but if it hits $700mm like ASM2 or DOFP it has to be a major coup for Marvel Studios given that, what, 25% or less of people who know ASM or X-Men ever heard of GoG?

I'd agree with that, depending on what the overall budget is after marketing costs are included.

Godzilla had a total budget of $225 million after marketing, the studio expectations were much lower than the current $477 million and have already given the green light for #2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godzilla2012.htm

I guess I don't understand your reasoning why this movie was a weak link in the "summer" release schedule given the actual numbers available and studio expectations. This movie performed well above the studios best case scenarios, especially on the domestic front.

Did you expect this movie to do better?

At the height of comics movies, when 'The Dark Knight", "Iron Man", and "Avengers" came out, I was hearing that people were tiring of super hero movies. Basically, word of mouth. Being a long time comic fan, I can stomach even a bad comic book movie.

If you put enough CGI in something over the summer break, people will come to see it. Even junk like "Transformers". Soon to be 4 pieces of junk in a row.

I'd agree with that, depending on what the overall budget is after marketing costs are included.

I'd also add that it was pretty smart of Marvel to basically be the first one out of the gate with Captain America at the start of April, before the 'summer season' ... and GoG will have little or no high profile competition from early August into the Fall.

Smart.

Godzilla had a total budget of $225 million after marketing, the studio expectations were much lower than the current $477 million and have already given the green light for #2.

I guess I don't understand your reasoning why this movie was a weak link in the "summer" release schedule given the actual numbers available and studio expectations. This movie performed well above the studios best case scenarios, especially on the domestic front.

the movie going investing public on HSX expected it to do $188mm in its first four weeks domestically, it did $185mm. maybe if the studio truly only spent $65mm on marketing, it explains why the movie had no legs whatsoever.

the movie going investing public on HSX expected it to do $188mm in its first four weeks domestically, it did $185mm. maybe if the studio truly only spent $65mm on marketing, it explains why the movie had no legs whatsoever.

Godzilla opened in China on June 13 and did $37mm in two days. It doesn't open in Japan until mid-July. Let's keep checking those numbers.

Where is the evidence that the general movie going public are getting tired of super-hero movies?

People keep saying it on here but I've yet to see any proof of such a conclusion.

+1

A lot of the people saying it, are the same ones trying to defend ASM2.

Fact of the matter is, Spider-man as a franchise is probably the only one that could compete with the Avengers or Batman to put up those crazy kind of numbers, but they've mangled it so bad, it's not even close.

Captain America: Winter Soldier (which ISN'T going to do Avengers numbers) was extremely well received and beat it's first picture domestic numbers by $80 MILLION and was $86 Million over it's reported budget.

X-Men DOFP is currently $16 Million over it's budget (and still playing), and is on it's way to being one of the most popular in the franchise. Also very well received.

Really.... the Amazing Spider-man franchise is the only one dropping the ball here...

I'd also add that it was pretty smart of Marvel to basically be the first one out of the gate with Captain America at the start of April, before the 'summer season' ... and GoG will have little or no high profile competition from early August into the Fall.

Smart.

It is smart how they've scheduled it, and now at this point they're probably getting the added benefit of people staying away from when they schedule as well.

$700 Million is considered under-performing these days? :o I predict that if comic book movies continue to bring in $700M in box office (not to mention licensing and DVDs etc) they will continue to make them until the end of days.

Godzilla opened in China on June 13 and did $37mm in two days. It doesn't open in Japan until mid-July. Let's keep checking those numbers.

domestically, it's more or less finished and after opening huge dropped like a stone. given Legendary's purported costs, this was definitely a success but i don't see evidence that this was well above studio expectations domestically.

$700 Million is considered under-performing these days? :o I predict that if comic book movies continue to bring in $700M in box office (not to mention licensing and DVDs etc) they will continue to make them until the end of days.

Lots of factors go into determining if a movie is successful or not. First of all, the largest take for the studios is in the domestic market. All These movies are at $200 - 215 million domestic which are decent numbers, but well short of past years. Secondly, the cost of the movie also factors into this. If these movies are costing $200 million and more, then the studios are not making as much money as you think. The common wisdom use to be a movie needed to make 3x production costs to break even. ASM 2 might not even be at break even yet.

Also, if you compare last summer's successes to this summer's successes, so far, this summer's movies in comparison are not doing as well. Studios will be looking at that and wonder if maybe it is because they had too many superhero movies and not enough other types of movies. Right now, 2 movies this summer would be top 10 movies last year domestically and 3 movies will be top 10 movies in 2012. But, as I mentioned before, there is still time for other movies released this year to reverse this trend.

domestically, it's more or less finished and after opening huge dropped like a stone. given Legendary's purported costs, this was definitely a success but i don't see evidence that this was well above studio expectations domestically.

I get it. I've read the views on importance of domestic box office back and forth on the boards.

I just think a couple things:

-- If I'm running a studio and a movie ends up making 2.5 times production+marketing -- even if two-thirds comes from outside North America -- it's a winner. Just ask the stockholders.

-- Box office growth isn't in North America, it's in the BRIC countries. Future ticket sales are in China, Russia, India, South America, and so on. Growing middle classes mean more movie goers. I imagine they increasingly market overseas, heck Hollywood makes movies to overseas audiences.

-- The flick opened larger than expected/tracking and they've already asked for a second movie. I don't think they expected with certainty to make a second one, especially ordering it when the first is still showing on 1,300+ big screens and is a top 10 grossing domestic flick. Gotta believe that beats expectations.

I get it. I've read the views on importance of domestic box office back and forth on the boards.

I just think a couple things:

-- If I'm running a studio and a movie ends up making 2.5 times production+marketing -- even if two-thirds comes from outside North America -- it's a winner. Just ask the stockholders.

-- Box office growth isn't in North America, it's in the BRIC countries. Future ticket sales are in China, Russia, India, South America, and so on. Growing middle classes mean more movie goers. I imagine they increasingly market overseas, heck Hollywood makes movies to overseas audiences.

-- The flick opened larger than expected/tracking and they've already asked for a second movie. I don't think they expected with certainty to make a second one, especially ordering it when the first is still showing on 1,300+ big screens and is a top 10 grossing domestic flick. Gotta believe that beats expectations.

It depends on how much of that international box office actually flows back to the studios. If they are getting half or less, depending on the distribution deal, the foreign box office isn't the cash cow you're portraying it to be.

Lots of factors go into determining if a movie is successful or not. First of all, the largest take for the studios is in the domestic market. All These movies are at $200 - 215 million domestic which are decent numbers, but well short of past years. Secondly, the cost of the movie also factors into this. If these movies are costing $200 million and more, then the studios are not making as much money as you think. The common wisdom use to be a movie needed to make 3x production costs to break even. ASM 2 might not even be at break even yet.

Also, if you compare last summer's successes to this summer's successes, so far, this summer's movies in comparison are not doing as well. Studios will be looking at that and wonder if maybe it is because they had too many superhero movies and not enough other types of movies. Right now, 2 movies this summer would be top 10 movies last year domestically and 3 movies will be top 10 movies in 2012. But, as I mentioned before, there is still time for other movies released this year to reverse this trend.

I do agree there has been a shift in the domestic market. The international market is where the growth is right now, where the domestic market has been steady with small growth patterns.

2013 global cinema trends published - we watch too many movies

AUC3OtA.png

Now as far as the box office take, domestic versus international, from what I have read you have to be very careful what you think is going on. There have been interesting interviews and articles done over the years concerning Hollywood accounting. Especially when a studio pays a subsidiary for marketing, which all they are doing is exchanging company money from one side of the corporation to the other side.

NPR: We See Angelina's Bottom Line

'Hollywood Accounting' Losing In The Courts

Hollywood Accounting: How A $19 Million Movie Makes $150 Million... And Still Isn't Profitable

For the same topic to come up as a mystery or requiring extensive detective work to determine what is going on behind the movie curtain, it tells you this is as challenging as the coin operated laundry business. The IRS had to create field investigator procedures to determine what a laundry is making by studying how much water was used, and averaging out how many true cleaning cycles took place. How they do this with the movies industry is probably less tricky tax-wise, more tricky in figuring out who really gets the money.

Where is the evidence that the general movie going public are getting tired of super-hero movies?

People keep saying it on here but I've yet to see any proof of such a conclusion.

+1

A lot of the people saying it, are the same ones trying to defend ASM2.

Fact of the matter is, Spider-man as a franchise is probably the only one that could compete with the Avengers or Batman to put up those crazy kind of numbers, but they've mangled it so bad, it's not even close.

Captain America: Winter Soldier (which ISN'T going to do Avengers numbers) was extremely well received and beat it's first picture domestic numbers by $80 MILLION and was $86 Million over it's reported budget.

X-Men DOFP is currently $16 Million over it's budget (and still playing), and is on it's way to being one of the most popular in the franchise. Also very well received.

Really.... the Amazing Spider-man franchise is the only one dropping the ball here...

+1 to this, the rest of the studios are putting out quality films. The solo Marvel/Disney films are based upon a certain genre and the titled superhero serves as an additional element to that film. Captain America was a political thriller at heart, Thor 2 was a fantasy/adventure film and GOTG is going to be a sci-fi epic. The only film so far that was an all out superhero film was the Avengers. Now, if year in and out they gave us the Avengers beating up on a random new enemy then yes, perhaps it would get stale and played out but that is exactly why Marvel/Disney (hopefully DC in the near future) is implementing this current formula. Fox and especially Marvel/Disney have taken there time planning out their films while Sony has been a mess since Spider-Man 3, which was their own doing because the higher-ups got involved and diluted Raimi's vision with demanding additional villains.